Star Trek in the Fudge system?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
What mechanical effects are you looking for in a Star Trek Fudge system? In my experience (albeit with FATE, not Fudge) FATE is general enough that you can capture the feel of a setting and the elements within the setting (races, classes/themes/archetypes, etc.) by keeping the mechanics of the system general and designing the elements of the setting on an ad hoc basis.

We converted a Star Wars campaign from SAGA into FATE originally by using the Dresden Files rules as inspiration. We took supernatural abilities and mortal stunts to emulate the racial characteristics that we felt were important to our characters and otherwise built the characters to reflect their stats in SAGA. I was playing a wise but frail ithorian so I took skills to reflect that character and I ended up with a character who matched what I wanted to play, without getting bogged down in little fiddly bonuses like the +2 Int/-2 Dex racial modifiers that you find in d20 games. We ended up switching to a more detailed FATE system called Strands of Fate, which went too far into the mechanics and rules weeds for my tastes.

I'm not as well-versed in Star Trek but I think you could do a similarly easy conversion. If someone wants to play a vulcan, have them buy a mind meld ability and allocate their skills to make a logical, intelligent character and you're set.

Remove ads