D&D 5E Next Q&A: Humans subraces, Wound Modules, Halfling Barbarians.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd actually be happy if they paired Aasimar and Teiflings as subraces of the same "Planetouched" race: what they've given in races (apart form humans, where controversy continues) feels pretty solid in play, and the two-subraces pattern is worth keeping.

The corollary of this, though, is that Halfelf and Halforc become subraces of the same (blended human) "race" -- structurally tight, but a bit wonky.

Pour

First Post
I wouldn't mind getting the half-humanoids as their own races eventually, too, and then have a simplified monster template version we could add to everything and its mother on the side. Half-fiend, half-celestial, and half-dragon would all be fun starting races if they got prettier names (hey, why not Cambion, Nephilim, and Dragonborn), though I guess that does take the steam out of planetouched and steps on some toes in the process.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
1.png
Perfect! A spectrum of optional rules allowing people to dive as deeply into lingering wounds as they like is excellent.

2.png
I am good with that. It makes sense that a halfling barbarian might not be as strong and be able to use heavy weapons as effectively as a human or half-orc barbarian. He should still be able to contribute to the party effectively with 1-2 strenght behind and a slightly lower [W] weapon damage dice 1d10 if fighting two-handed or 1d6/1d6 if two-weapons fighting.

3.png
I prefer half-elf and half-orc being their own race choices so that their arrays of racial features and stat bonuses can be expanded more. Also, while i like easy-to-use humans, i still think it could get a little more interesting racial features.

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'm pleased by number 1, but enraged all over again by number 2. I still can't fathom why they're happy with racial ability scores as they stand. If you want all race/class combinations to be viable, then all racial modifiers should be gone. If you want races to be different, then bonuses and penalties did a good job. What we have now is a poor compromise.

Sadrik

First Post
1. This sounds very promising. I look forward to using a wound/vitality system. Granted I wish this was the baked in assumption and then pull back for super heroic and make grittier with permanent wounds. But hey it is there and will be in spades.
2. This really does not say anything. It's sort of like explaining sardine pizza. It may get the job done but it may not be optimal. Yeah, so, we already knew that.
3. Ok for this I fully would like the half races and planetouched to be subraces of human. I mean they are in effect and I don't need them to be separate. It sort of ties them together nicely. Although, I can see some inventive DM forging his own campaign world where half-elves are cat people and half-orcs are dog people or whatever. By having them not split off it makes it harder to reskin. But who really does that anyway, and if they are digging that far they will not mind splitting them off anyway.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I think they have plans for the Planetouched races, Mearls has already said he wanted Tieflings to have thier own subraces.

Kinak

First Post
I really wish they'd get away from subraces. They just seem like another first-level decision when first-level is chock full of them.

I think they have plans for the Planetouched races, Mearls has already said he wanted Tieflings to have their own subraces.
That's a really good reason to not have planetouched be subraces. Similarly, genasi (or whatever we call them) can have a subrace for each element and so forth.

Cheers!
Kinak

Li Shenron

Legend
Point 3) is really worrying... they are pretty happy with the current Human race? Oh my...

At the very least, given that now ability score increases are becoming feats, they should change those human ability score bonuses with bonus feats (which can be used to get ability score bonuses, if wanted), just with a limit saying you can't spend more than one to increase the same score.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I too am disappointed that they think Humans are ok. I suppose the vocal feedback here and on WotC is counter to the overall opinion? How often to people vote down something that's clearly powerful?

Remove ads