D&D 5E Next Q&A: Humans subraces, Wound Modules, Halfling Barbarians.

Bluenose

Adventurer
1. Good. I like this. I've wanted something like that for a long time, and converted systems from other games to get it.

2. I dislike the link between bigger weapons and more damage anyway, so this just strikes me as more silliness.

3. I can't see many reasons to be happy with the human as is, but I don't know what their criteria are.

avin

First Post
I think they have plans for the Planetouched races, Mearls has already said he wanted Tieflings to have thier own subraces.

I wasn't aware of that, good news, there will be room for the classic Tieflings and for those who want to play Bael Modan's guys.

Somebloke

First Post
1. Good. I like this. I've wanted something like that for a long time, and converted systems from other games to get it.

2. I dislike the link between bigger weapons and more damage anyway, so this just strikes me as more silliness.

3. I can't see many reasons to be happy with the human as is, but I don't know what their criteria are.
seems to me the criteria for humans is: simplicity. They want the 'default' race to be acceptable to the minimalists.

Personally I'm fine with the current iteration.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
1) Perfect, module away.

2) Small people can still use bastard swords and katanas, so that's cool.

3) Love it, yes, leave humans as they are, any racial power or what-have-you is not really appropriate to humans (I really hope they stick to their guns on this one).

Texicles

First Post
1) I like this. I wouldn't run it/them as I'm just not that interested in grit. But as I've said from packet #1, I want the game and its modules to have all the things. It costs me nothing to ignore something, but for those who want a feature, it's more difficult to create it.

2) I also generally like this*. Playing an "abnormal" race/class combo should (IMO) be sub-optimal, but no so much so that it's punishing. It stretches the limits of my suspended disbelief (which is pretty darn flexible) to think that a wee halfling can possibly have the same strength as a beefy half-orc, but for those who want to play it, don't gimp it into oblivion.

*As a caveat, I do agree with Bluenose's point about weapon size and damage sharing a positive correlation. I don't really care for that being a D&D "tradition" either. I'm just talking about pure physiology here.

3) I like this too. While I don't care for the specific human racials, I like the simplicity. I also don't have a problem with non-humans having subraces, as long as the lore supports the disparity. I just feel that the gulf between a human and any flavor of half-human or planetouched is wide enough that they are no longer strictly human, rather they're something else entirely. That to me, is more important than worrying about borking humans.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
1) I like this. I wouldn't run it/them as I'm just not that interested in grit. But as I've said from packet #1, I want the game and its modules to have all the things. It costs me nothing to ignore something, but for those who want a feature, it's more difficult to create it.
Yep. Sounds like a good deal all around. Optional rules, just as it should be.
2) I also generally like this*. Playing an "abnormal" race/class combo should (IMO) be sub-optimal, but no so much so that it's punishing.
I agree with this, too, for the most part. Though, personally, I'd be okay with later, more uncommon races being more restricted (or even completely restricted from certain things, like arcane magic).
3) I like this too. While I don't care for the specific human racials, I like the simplicity.
I can get behind the simplicity, but I don't much like the human racials, either. I'd always kinda hoped they'd focus on Intelligence for humans; their big thing seems to be adaptation. Humans are everywhere: in every terrain, in every climate, mixed with every race, etc. In past editions, they've been given free skills and / or feats because they adapt, etc. Why not give them something similar, with an Int bonus to represent that adaptive nature?

Obviously, it's been to keep humans as a baseline race, but that seems to be gone with "everything gets +1", so maybe it's more about "we don't want more human Wizards than other classes"? Not sure. At any rate, I'd still rather see that done, but I understand why they want humans simple, and can appreciate that, even if I don't like the current racials. Good post; sent some XP your way (it said "Good post", since nobody can see it). As always, play what you like :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
2) I also generally like this*. Playing an "abnormal" race/class combo should (IMO) be sub-optimal, but no so much so that it's punishing. It stretches the limits of my suspended disbelief (which is pretty darn flexible) to think that a wee halfling can possibly have the same strength as a beefy half-orc, but for those who want to play it, don't gimp it into oblivion.

*As a caveat, I do agree with Bluenose's point about weapon size and damage sharing a positive correlation. I don't really care for that being a D&D "tradition" either. I'm just talking about pure physiology here.

I'd be fine if the gap were even more substantial -- a difference of 2 or even 4 points of strength is inadequate to actually represent the potential physical difference between a small and a medium sized race. Unless you go to "magic makes it so", the strength potential of a halfling requires more suspension of disbelief than almost anything else in the game. Yes, we want to balance races, and a hard cap would seem unfair, but what it represents makes almost all other issues of weapon variance and damage variation pale to insignificance.

Remove ads