The Trefaldwyn Chronicle - Dark Ages Pathfinder

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Yes, yes," muses old Megan. The points a bony finger at Myfanwy. "You are of the Old Faith, are you not? Perhaps you can say the rites. It will serve her as well as anything the young monk can mumble."

Shayuri

First Post
Myfanwy nods heavily. "I will do that. But...we haven't learned anything about what's haunting this town yet. Do you know anything of the father of Angharad's baby? I can't help wondering if Angharad might have been in a similar position to the young mother now. The drama plays out again...it is often that way when spirits are involved."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Old Megan looks shifty.

"Well, no-one knows for sure," she says. "But there were rumours back then, most of us who knew have died." She pokes the fire, not that it needs it. "But then, I've lived a longer life than most, why do I need to cling to what little I've left? And maybe you will stop the death anyway. So, between me and God, this is what I know. As a young man, the young lord, Meirion, was smitten with the girl Angharad. Her, less so with him but he was a lord and she a farmer's girl and she could not refuse him. He got her with child, and then left, off fighting in King Owain's wars. Not long after, Angharad took her own life, and that of her unborn child. Some say from grief because her lord had left, but I think it was the dishonour that drove her to it. She'd wanted no part in it, and now she was called fallen and cursed for it, but it was the young lord, covered in gold and glory, who was at fault." Megan's eyes and mouth tighten with suppressed anger. "People made themselves forget, because who was not to blame? Who had helped the young girl when she needed it, and yet who could stand against a great lord?"

"When the old lord died, Lord Meirion returned to claim his birthright. Not long after, that's when the happenings started. Some of us thought that the ghost of Angharad had grown angry." Megan points to the pathetic bundle of remains that Gwyneira retrieved. "Maybe when she's lain to rest, it will be well. But I think there is more to it. I think another creature of the spirit world works with her, perhaps it was drawn to the anguish, something that feeds on pain, and anger, and sorrow. Else why would some folk see a man and not the young girl? And why sometimes in dreams and sometimes as a corpse that walks at night? It is beyond me, but perhaps you are the people to put it right."

Shayuri

First Post
Myfanwy listens to the story, nodding slowly to herself.

"Has Lord Meirion visited this town since he returned?" she asked quietly.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Megan tugs at her shawl and looks a bit confused.

"Did I not see you arrive with him yesterday?" she asks. "My eyes are old, perhaps I was mistaken. But yes, the Lord Meirion resides here mostly these days. In the grand hall."

Kaodi

Hero
"We should tend to Angharad, and then speak to Lord Meirion, I think," says Gwyneira quietly. "Perhaps when confronted with the truth, he will have something to reveal that so far he has preferred remain hidden. He may not care for our 'standing against him', but I thing our relationship with Lord Llewelyn lends us authority those who live here may have lacked."

"Thank you for your help, Megan," she adds. "Your illuminating of our path shall prove invaluable, I hope."

Shayuri

First Post
"I meant before we arrived." Myfanwy sighs and abandons subtlety. "What I'm asking is if there's any chance he's the one who fathered the baby who's troubling the girl in town so much. But we can ask her, and him, that. Thank you for your help, Megan. Rest assured, we won't stop until whatever is haunting this town is laid to rest."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Old Megan flasp her hands.

"Forgive me, young mistress," she says. "My ears are old too! The young lord came back to us about a year ago, so yes, he could be the father if time was the only thing. I'm not so sure he has the inclinations of his youth, though. It seems to me that he avoids the company of women whenever he can, preferring hunting. I think he loves his hounds most of all living things these days. But then, as I said, my eyes are old and I live out here on my own, perhaps there is much that I have missed."

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Apologies to all, my brain's been turning to static every time I try to think of what to do next here...lol...any suggestions?)

Kaodi

Hero
"Let us make haste then to Lord Meirion's side," suggests Gwyneira. "That we must speak with him again in a course of action I think we can all agree on." The herbalist rubs herself down with the warm blankets a bit more and then stands up to ready herself for leaving.

Remove ads