D&D 4E JamesonCourage's First 4e Session

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Hmmm, the blizzard dragon could be even more interesting in play.

(Personally, I would also give it cold resistance or immunity which it doesn't have because Mike Mearls doesn't like creatures having resistance or immunity.)

(Personally, I would also give it cold resistance or immunity which it doesn't have because Mike Mearls doesn't like creatures having resistance or immunity.)

I also think giving it a wee bit of cold resist would be a good idea. Take that plus your idea to have a lair-wide aura of 5 vulnerable cold UtEoYNT if you haven't moved at least 2 squares on your current turn would insert a lot of dynamism into the encounter. Good stuff.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Alternatively, you could go with the Young Blizzard Dragon of MM3 (level 7) if you want to hold off for a few levels or just down-level it. This dragon is a Controller rather than a brute and plays the part well with a lot of forced movement, debilitating status effects (immobilized and blinded) and an interactive Minor Action feature that looks to be a ton of fun in play (GM-side). Lots of ability to bring the environment in play with this Dragon.
Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably use it as inspiration as well (since I'm making the dragon either way). I am looking for stuff that's a bit more controller-y, so this should help :)
If you do go with this Elite Controller dragon, I would recommend a Hobgoblin (cold subtype) vanguard (minion or standard soldiers) or some manner of thralls that protect and venerate the dragon. Getting to the dragon could be the exploration of a long abandoned Frost Giant ice complex of which the hobgoblins have taken up residence in (and the dragon has made lair of).
Bazzalth (the white dragon) is already tied to orcs (she has an orc ice wizard and an orc necromancer as allies), and she has some kobold followers (though she's let the necromancer have most of them), so this would be easy enough. It'll likely be orcs / kobolds / zombies, but more than doable. Giving some protection if the dragon is more controller-y isn't a bad idea.

Then again, I might let the dragon be more brutish, and give the protection to the orc ice wizard, and steal some effects for him. The two orc allies are both adding some smarts to the operation, so it'd make sense for them to have protection. Especially the necromancer, as a matter of fact.

Either way, thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably end up making Bazzalth more controller-ish, and giving some guards, and also give some to both orcs. I do like the idea of the long-abandoned frost giant ice complex, though. It gives it more of a reason to be tall, which is good for flying. Bazzalth would like that, too, which would make sense for why she picked it. The Monk might also like it, as she can fly as an encounter power. I'll probably work in some 3D stuff for the dragon fight and see how it goes. Thanks again for the suggestions, they're helpful :)

Oh, it'll have resistance! Not immunity (I'm throwing that on Yone, the Winter Guardian Spirit), but a healthy amount of resistance. And I agree with Manbearcat -this, combined with the cold vulnerability if you don't move, will make the fight pretty interesting. I've already got the "lair effects" written up, including the cold vulnerability, the sliding charges, moving quickly across the ice, breaking ice pillars, loosening stalactites, etc. Should be good fun :)

D'karr

Adventurer
Yeah, I really hope this isn't it, but I am afraid it might be. There's not much I can do about it; the players -including this one- are good about using skills in the context of each skill challenge, but if it just feels limiting to him, I'm at a loss as to what to do to make it better for him.

He seems to like combat, like his character concept, like the RP we've engaged in, like talking to other players, etc. I really do wish I could make the skill challenges more palatable, but if it's a challenge thing, I'm not sure how to go about it more than I have.

I think he's smart enough to pick up on it if I don't handle it really well, but I agree that it might work better if I do handle it well. I'm considering trying it. I am used to running them openly (both in my 4e sessions so far, as well as with my normal group and my RPG), though, so that might make it harder for me. It also precludes them from using things like advantages to negate failures, add extra successes, etc. And it'd make working in initiative order harder. And it might mean that the other players, who have less of a problem with skill challenges, might lose out on something they enjoy, too (the Fighter player explicitly likes them).

Not an easy situation for me to resolve, unfortunately. But, play style issues never are, I guess. I'll try to get to the bottom of it, though, and bring more information back to this thread if I feel like I could use more useful advice. Thanks for the feedback.

One of the "limiting" factors of skill challenges (SC) as described in the books is that they "assume" that the players will do X to achieve Y. One of the greatest things about roleplaying is that it is not normally limiting in this fashion. After all, there is a live DM that can actually make value judgements based on experience and the situation, rather than a CPU simply going off its programmed routine.

As such, SCs need to feel as organic as if they were part of the naturally occurring action rather than a side trek mini-game. I personally do not like to call attention to the metagame that is occurring behind the scenes during a SC. The same way that I don't like calling attention to the metagame that is occurring during a combat. Instead of saying how many hit points a creature has I describe the action as the characters, not the players, would experience it. The bloodied condition (a metagame trigger) is great for knowing when the descriptions should change during a combat (he's heavily out of breath and clearly fatigued, bleeding from a multitude of cuts, etc.) I like the descriptions from the players to be vivid, the more vivid the better. I try to do the same, and I like reacting to them (their descriptions) organically rather than everything being a measured predetermined response. Every success in a SC should trigger a description that moves the action forward and therefore shows progress. Every fail in a SC should introduce a complication and be described as such, but the action keeps moving forward.

IMO, there are usually things that will "win" specific "sections" of a skill challenge. They are the "success" conditions that might not even require a roll. The same way that there are situations where some things should create automatic "fail" situations. It has a lot to do with the context of the particular challenge. But it has a lot riding on the presentation, which should always be from the POV of the characters not the players.

In the instance of the "win" sections I'll provide an example. There was a published skill challenge in an early Living Forgotten Realms (LFR) adventure which featured the PCs attempting to "fix" a greenhouse for an NPC in order to gain her favor, and consequently get information. It was not a very inspiring SC but it serves the purpose of the example. During the SC the characters are going to see what they can do to "fix" this greenhouse which is in disrepair. Well there are some broken glass panes on the ceiling of this greenhouse, which under most circumstances immediately gets players attempting Athletics and Acrobatics to get to the top and fix this glass. What if a character simply asks the NPC if she has a ladder? Nobody ever asks, which shows why the framework for SCs is so clunky. The first problem with skill challenges is that they tend to immediately be approached from the metagame of "I only have X skill(s)". If a character asked for a ladder I'd give him an auto-success for this part because it fits. Under the base framework he might get a ladder, or not, depending on the DM. He'd still have to make Athletics checks, which is counterproductive to making the challenge feel organic. It is similar to having someone make a perception check if they ask to look inside a drawer. Why? They asked the obvious question then give them the success. Try to always frame skill challenges from the perspective of the characters and don't get hung up on the "skill" part of the name. I've started to call these Encounter Challenges (EC) rather than SCs, because of how I want to perceive them and present them.

A bad example of an auto-fail is the "intimidate" skill use in "The Negotiation" SC presented in the DMG p76. Let's look at what the SC says:
Intimidate: The NPC refuses to be intimidated by the PCs. Each use of the skill earns a failure.​

That description presupposes that the PC is using the intimidate skill to intimidate the NPC into action.
Let's look at what the Setup for the SC actually was:
Setup: For the NPC to provide assistance, the PCs need to convince him or her of their trustworthiness and that their cause helps the NPC in some way.​

What if the player describes the following? "I want to use intimidate. I want to show the NPC that I'm so intimidating that sending me against his enemies would only serve his purposes by making them fear him". In that instance I see no reason why the use of intimidate would be an automatic failure. This is where I think SCs went astray, they tried to codify too much. Give the DM some NPC motivations, some scene props, a worthwhile goal and let the DM improvise where needed as needed.

I like to describe ECs more like action scenes in a movie. If I can make the EC feel like I felt while watching the movie then I'm pretty pleased. Unfortunately a lot of action movies have a single protagonist, and not an ensemble cast. So I have to look at all the actions as if they were being performed by 4-6 characters instead of 1-2. There are two things that are very important in an EC. The ultimate goal but more importantly the consequences of the fail. I think that the consequences of the fail are so important that they should be the first thing examined.

If you look at a movie like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom you can see how to frame ECs and keep them exciting and organic. As an example let's use the most obvious EC, the mine cart scene. The obvious goal is to use the carts to escape from the mine. However the "real goal" is to escape from the mines. It does not matter if you use the carts, or not. So what would be the consequence of failing on this challenge. The most obvious answer is that they would not make it out of the mines. After all they did not accomplish the "goal" which was to escape from the mines. However, that is where most DMs fail to understand the framework. If the PCs fail to make it out of the mines the adventure ends. So the real goal is to make it as far as possible out of the mines. The consequences of failing is that you are further away from the exit when the thing caves in (possibly taking more damage).

Most DMs would look at the scene and determine that it starts when the PCs are looking at the mine carts and jump in. However, if you watch the movie you can see that the actual challenge really starts during a combat. Short Round sees the Maharajah using the "voodoo" doll to hamper Indy, and goes after him. When he "defeats" that part of the scene (releasing the Maharajah from the Black Sleep) he finds that they need to take the left tunnel (success?). Climbing on someones back he gets to the cart (success?). Indy grabs on to a rope and swings to the cart (success?). "Indy take the left tunnel. No Indy you missed it! Left tunnel!" (failure?) More enemies on carts gaining on you (complication?). "Let go of brake, we need to outrun them" (failure?). Cart tilts on edge (complication?) (lose a surge). Throw lumber on track. Hit overhead with shovel (great success?). Gravel dumps on enemies. Cart overturns, second cart hits it. Change tracks decision (failure?) Closed off track. Enemy cart next to yours they grab Shorty, one jumps on your cart with knife (complication?) (lose a surge). If you've noticed we've already hit 3 fails. End with a bang. The cart jumps the chasm, the cultist overturn the water tower, water is chasing. Try to brake, brake breaks. Use shoe (lose a surge). Get out. Water surges (lose a surge).

If everything would have gone their way they would have made it out with minimal loss of resources (surges). Since they failed they ended up deeper in the mines, and lost surges as they got out, and the water rushed out. They then had to fight with the cultist before the bridge (with limited resources). This is a fight with minions. Then comes the fight on the bridge. The fight on the bridge can even be another Encounter Challenge. If they had beat the EC they could have avoided the fight with the minions before the bridge or even made it across the bridge before any encounter.

As you can see there is a way to make Encounter Challenges way more than simple dice rolling festivals. Presentation is the most important. Roll dice only when it's necessary. Don't make yourself a slave to the framework. I prefer to present everything from the characters POV. Some DMs don't. Try it and see how it works for you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
One of the "limiting" factors of skill challenges (SC) as described in the books is that they "assume" that the players will do X to achieve Y. One of the greatest things about roleplaying is that it is not normally limiting in this fashion. After all, there is a live DM that can actually make value judgements based on experience and the situation, rather than a CPU simply going off its programmed routine.
This makes sense. As I said, the forced narrative structure might be his problem with skill challenges. I'm not sure yet.
As such, SCs need to feel as organic as if they were part of the naturally occurring action rather than a side trek mini-game. I personally do not like to call attention to the metagame that is occurring behind the scenes during a SC. The same way that I don't like calling attention to the metagame that is occurring during a combat. Instead of saying how many hit points a creature has I describe the action as the characters, not the players, would experience it. The bloodied condition (a metagame trigger) is great for knowing when the descriptions should change during a combat (he's heavily out of breath and clearly fatigued, bleeding from a multitude of cuts, etc.) I like the descriptions from the players to be vivid, the more vivid the better. I try to do the same, and I like reacting to them (their descriptions) organically rather than everything being a measured predetermined response. Every success in a SC should trigger a description that moves the action forward and therefore shows progress. Every fail in a SC should introduce a complication and be described as such, but the action keeps moving forward.
My preferences for handling combat and skill challenges don't entirely line up with yours. I announce the bloodied condition very explicitly, but I also describe what their enemies look like along the way (the closer they are to 0, the more beat up they look). And, every success or failure in the skill challenge pushes the action forward, so no problems on my end here. I've been running skill challenges in my own RPG (X successes before 3 failures), albeit with different rules, though I'm used to utilizing the basic structure already.
IMO, there are usually things that will "win" specific "sections" of a skill challenge. They are the "success" conditions that might not even require a roll. The same way that there are situations where some things should create automatic "fail" situations. It has a lot to do with the context of the particular challenge. But it has a lot riding on the presentation, which should always be from the POV of the characters not the players.
Right; I basically say that certain skills may not be available right now, based on context. So far, my players are very good about doing this themselves, though. If they don't feel like Endurance has a place, they won't try to shoehorn it in, even if they have a big bonus (like the dwarven Fighter does).

Also, if their character doesn't need to roll to succeed, then that's not really a challenge in the skill challenge, and thus won't contribute to the outcome either way. That doesn't mean that they can't still use the skill, mind you; the skill is considered a success (though not counted for the skill challenge), and it changes the context of what's going on accordingly. It just means that it doesn't take up their turn, and they still need to make a contribution, as normal.
Well there are some broken glass panes on the ceiling of this greenhouse, which under most circumstances immediately gets players attempting Athletics and Acrobatics to get to the top and fix this glass. What if a character simply asks the NPC if she has a ladder?
If there is a ladder (and there likely is if they're asking, because I'm nice like that in 4e, what with my "yes, and" and stuff going on), I give them +2 for having a good idea, and make them roll (ladders can fall). That seems simple enough to me.
Nobody ever asks, which shows why the framework for SCs is so clunky.
I don't think my players would skip asking. Also, I don't think asking is a problem for skill challenges. At least, not in my experience.
The first problem with skill challenges is that they tend to immediately be approached from the metagame of "I only have X skill(s)".
My players do tend to look over their good skill first, but this makes sense to me. In real life, people tend to attempt what they're good at first. However, they don't stop there. I've had multiple players roll Perception untrained, for example, because they're keeping an eye out for something specific (that might also set them up on their next roll, or help another player). If "I only have X, so that's all I'll ever consider" is a problem for many groups, it seems like my main group and my new 4e groups have both side-stepped this particular issue.
If a character asked for a ladder I'd give him an auto-success for this part because it fits. Under the base framework he might get a ladder, or not, depending on the DM. He'd still have to make Athletics checks, which is counterproductive to making the challenge feel organic.
Only if the check was only purely to climb up. In my skill challenge, it'd likely be "you climbed up, and now you can roll your Athletics to help rebuild stuff" or something. Or, "you found a ladder, and can climb up. Now what?" Depending on the answer, I'll make them roll something. I'm not going to give an auto success away for finding a ladder, but I'll still reward it.

Personally, I can't see how your method is any more or less organic than mine. Both reward obtaining the ladder, and both rely on what's actually happening in the fiction, and both follow a set narrative structure (X successes before 3 failures). You choose to end yours a little earlier or a little easier (auto success), but I don't get how that makes it any more organic. Perhaps I'm missing something, though, and my player feels like you do. Can you explain why you feel your method is more organic than how I'd handle it (+2 bonus, "you can climb, but what do you do now?", etc.)?
It is similar to having someone make a perception check if they ask to look inside a drawer. Why? They asked the obvious question then give them the success. Try to always frame skill challenges from the perspective of the characters and don't get hung up on the "skill" part of the name. I've started to call these Encounter Challenges (EC) rather than SCs, because of how I want to perceive them and present them.
I'm not running a skill challenge so that I can bypass the forced narrative structure of the skill challenge; as far as I'm concerned, that defeats the purpose. If looking in the drawer helps them, then it helps them within the fiction. However, I can always add more complications to the story within the context of the skill challenge. Sure, you found [whatever] in the drawer; what now? What do you do now?
A bad example of an auto-fail is the "intimidate" skill use in "The Negotiation" SC presented in the DMG p76.
I will say that I don't use any "auto failure" skills. I just comment that certain skills may not apply right now, within the context of the current situation. I do encourage players to help one another brainstorm, and I throw out ideas, too, if I think they need the help (since many are new or somewhat new to the game).
Let's look at what the SC says:
Intimidate: The NPC refuses to be intimidated by the PCs. Each use of the skill earns a failure.​

That description presupposes that the PC is using the intimidate skill to intimidate the NPC into action.
Let's look at what the Setup for the SC actually was:
Setup: For the NPC to provide assistance, the PCs need to convince him or her of their trustworthiness and that their cause helps the NPC in some way.​

What if the player describes the following? "I want to use intimidate. I want to show the NPC that I'm so intimidating that sending me against his enemies would only serve his purposes by making them fear him". In that instance I see no reason why the use of intimidate would be an automatic failure. This is where I think SCs went astray, they tried to codify too much. Give the DM some NPC motivations, some scene props, a worthwhile goal and let the DM improvise where needed as needed.
I agree. Since I don't follow this advice when I run them, I don't think it's too much of an issue. I might say "there's nobody for you to Intimidate", but I'm generally pretty lenient. I've let the Monk do things like use Insight to predict the cave's path, since it was kinda maze-like, since it had been designed, even though there was nobody present to use it on. I'm not going to say "these skills always fail," and I basically wing every skill challenge, instead of deciding what can/can't be used ahead of time.
I like to describe ECs more like action scenes in a movie. If I can make the EC feel like I felt while watching the movie then I'm pretty pleased. Unfortunately a lot of action movies have a single protagonist, and not an ensemble cast. So I have to look at all the actions as if they were being performed by 4-6 characters instead of 1-2. There are two things that are very important in an EC. The ultimate goal but more importantly the consequences of the fail. I think that the consequences of the fail are so important that they should be the first thing examined.

If you look at a movie like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom you can see how to frame ECs and keep them exciting and organic. As an example let's use the most obvious EC, the mine cart scene. The obvious goal is to use the carts to escape from the mine. However the "real goal" is to escape from the mines. It does not matter if you use the carts, or not. So what would be the consequence of failing on this challenge. The most obvious answer is that they would not make it out of the mines. After all they did not accomplish the "goal" which was to escape from the mines. However, that is where most DMs fail to understand the framework. If the PCs fail to make it out of the mines the adventure ends. So the real goal is to make it as far as possible out of the mines. The consequences of failing is that you are further away from the exit when the thing caves in (possibly taking more damage).
I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure why the adventure would necessarily end. Maybe it would; I don't know.

Either way, I just ran a "exit the collapsing cave" type of skill challenge. If they had failed, they'd've been stuck inside when it caved in. It would've hurt, and they would now need to somehow get out. I don't see why the adventure would end. Regardless, I rarely use skill challenges that would explicitly kill PCs if they fail, and I've not done so in 4e. I'm following the "they should never end the adventure" advice.
[SNIP example]

If everything would have gone their way they would have made it out with minimal loss of resources (surges). Since they failed they ended up deeper in the mines, and lost surges as they got out, and the water rushed out. They then had to fight with the cultist before the bridge (with limited resources). This is a fight with minions. Then comes the fight on the bridge. The fight on the bridge can even be another Encounter Challenge. If they had beat the EC they could have avoided the fight with the minions before the bridge or even made it across the bridge before any encounter.
I don't think I'm far from this at all. I'm also not sure if you think this ties into what the player dislikes about skill challenges. They have yet to fail, and I've never ended the campaign for it. If you have questions about any of the skill challenges I've run (which are detailed somewhat in this thread), I can try to answer those questions.
As you can see there is a way to make Encounter Challenges way more than simple dice rolling festivals. Presentation is the most important. Roll dice only when it's necessary. Don't make yourself a slave to the framework. I prefer to present everything from the characters POV. Some DMs don't. Try it and see how it works for you.
I don't feel like my skill challenges are "dice rolling festivals." One particular skill challenge in my second session lasted most of the session, was interrupted multiple times, and involved a lot of talking between skill checks.

I'm definitely going to explicitly tell them when they're in a skill challenge, I think, as well as what's mechanically going on (successes, failures, etc.), just as I would in combat.

I'm also going to roll dice when I feel it's necessary (someone takes an action to progress towards the end of the skill challenge, help another do so, or help reverse a failure).

And, as far as the framework goes, I'm still not sure how skipping the framework provides any benefit; how is "automatic success" more organic (or better in another way) than "you can now climb up; what do you do now?" Both of our methods rely on the fiction to progress, your method is just resolved a little sooner or easier.

And, since things rely on the fiction to progress (you can't say "I'm rolling Arcana", you say "I'm trying to magically control the harmful energies of the portal, and keep it under control"), I think I'm hitting your "presented from the point of view of the characters" note, aren't I? I'm honestly asking, not trying to shoot down all of your advice. (As you can see in this thread and the last one, I quite appreciate the advice.)
Hope this helps.
I think the main thing that helped here is the "presentation is key" bit of advice. The rest I'm not worried about, and I don't feel like there's anything to fix based on your very thorough post. I'm not sure what I need to do to present things in a way that might annoy my player less, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'll be keeping an eye out on how I can go about that (probably looking closer at it than I might've if you hadn't mentioned it). Thanks for such a well thought-out reply. I appreciate the effort.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Okay, just talked to the player of the Warpriest about his dislike of skill challenges for a little bit. It seems to boil down to a few of things:

(1) He says it's hard to feel like he's can contribute oftentimes with his Warpriest, as he has a lot of penalties (armor, and he got his Wisdom up to a 20 starting out) and a limited number of trained skills (one of which is Diplomacy, which offsets a penalty he has). He says he thinks he'd enjoy them a lot more if he played his backup (a Bard), since he'd feel like the can contribute more.
(2) He doesn't like them when they take a long time. He admits most of them move quickly enough, though.
(3) He's not a fan of them being interrupted (with combat, etc.), but he understands why they were from a DM perspective.

None of these seem like they're insurmountable. Luckily, he didn't seem to have a problem with the mechanical rigor, scaling DCs, narrative structure, etc. when I brought these up. So, some "fixes" that I'm currently considering:

(1) Keep on eye on challenges, and maybe work in a way for his skills to come up. Also, I was considering giving a free Skill Training feat at level 5 (and maybe levels 15 and 25, if I think it works well). Also, look through to see if any multiclass feats work well for his character concept (to give more skill training)... maybe Avenger?
(2) Try to keep the skill challenges shorter. He expressed a lot less of a problem with the "control the portal" and "escape the collapsing cavern" skill challenges in our current conversation than he had with the long skill challenge from our second session.
(3) Limit the interruptions, and don't mix skill challenges and combat in the future. This should be easy enough to do for the most part, with rare exceptions. He seems more understanding here, so that's also good.

Any feedback?

Any feedback?

1 - Well, with that high of a Wisdom, he should have 5 skills that he has beyond average functionality in (Dungeoneering, Heal, Insight, Nature, Perception). He is automatically trained in Religion so that is 6. Diplomacy makes 7. That is a decent swath of Skills in play and they facilitate different types of conflict. + 2 to Constitution for Dwarf with + 2 Endurance (and + 2 Dungeoneering). So Endurance is likely at least reasonably functional. Background should give + 2 to one skill. He may be better than he thinks.

2 - Not sure what his Int is but if its 13, he could go Invoker multiclass, get Arcana (giving functionality in another Skill), and gain Ritual Casting and use that to facilitate the resolution of certain non-combat conflicts.

3 - If he does indeed have an Int 13, Jack of All Trades offers a + 2 Feat bonus (stackable with nontyped bonuses) for all untrained Skill checks. This would give him an extremely large aggregate bonus with a limited number of trained skills. Could be Alternative Advancement Reward potential here as well.

4 - I'm sure there is a magic armor/shield augment that removes the negative physical skill modifier. Find a way to get that in the mix or use an Alternative Advancement Reward analog.

5 - There is a high likelihood his Theme gives a + 2 to two skills at level 5. If its at 10, you could just switch the benefits around no problem.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
1 - Well, with that high of a Wisdom, he should have 5 skills that he has beyond average functionality in (Dungeoneering, Heal, Insight, Nature, Perception). He is automatically trained in Religion so that is 6. Diplomacy makes 7. That is a decent swath of Skills in play and they facilitate different types of conflict. + 2 to Constitution for Dwarf with + 2 Endurance (and + 2 Dungeoneering). So Endurance is likely at least reasonably functional. Background should give + 2 to one skill. He may be better than he thinks.
He's a mul (the race, which is a surface dwarf in my game). He still does have a +2 to Con, I'm pretty sure (I think it started at a 16), but the racial bonuses are different... Dungeoneering and Streetwise? I know he has an 8 Charisma, and that hurts his Diplomacy / Streetwise, and his Endurance might be taking a penalty due to armor (unsure if check penalty hits that).

But, I also pointed out to him during out conversation that his +5 Wisdom will help him with things like Perception, etc. He has Heal trained (with a massive bonus). While the others are covered by other characters, he can still roll them. He just doesn't want to contribute failures, which is somewhat likely if he rolls a little under average on those skills. I think this is why he feels like it's hard to contribute, though I agree it's not as bad as it seems to him.
2 - Not sure what his Int is but if its 13, he could go Invoker multiclass, get Arcana (giving functionality in another Skill), and gain Ritual Casting and use that to facilitate the resolution of certain non-combat conflicts.
His Int is a 10 (after his 16 startin Con, his next highest stat was an 11, I think, in Str... he gave up a lot for that 20 Wis). However, he already has Arcana, and does use it a lot. So that wouldn't be ideal for him anyways.
3 - If he does indeed have an Int 13, Jack of All Trades offers a + 2 Feat bonus (stackable with nontyped bonuses) for all untrained Skill checks. This would give him an extremely large aggregate bonus with a limited number of trained skills. Could be Alternative Advancement Reward potential here as well.
He definitely doesn't meet the prereqs, but I wonder if I can work an alternate reward in. I think there's one that gives a +2 item bonus to all skill checks, but it's an Ioun thing... I considered it for the Wizard, and probably won't give it to this Warpriest. Maybe I can find something, though. That's a good idea.
4 - I'm sure there is a magic armor/shield augment that removes the negative physical skill modifier. Find a way to get that in the mix or use an Alternative Advancement Reward analog.
I did consider giving him armor that can be dismissed or reformed as a free action (or something like that... minor, perhaps). It'd let him get rid of the penalty for certain things. His low Str/Dex wouldn't make most skills too feasible, but he might be able to roll an Endurance check in a crunch.
5 - There is a high likelihood his Theme gives a + 2 to two skills at level 5. If its at 10, you could just switch the benefits around no problem.
It does, good catch. Unfortunately, one bonus is +2 to Heal (something he already has amazingly high). Still, the other bonus is +2 to Insight, and that's very useful for him. I might find a way to get him another bonus to Insight so that he can roll that. Just one more skill might make a big difference.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

Remove ads