airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (OOC)

Scotley

Hero
Sandpoint Six works for me. Vandalin's motivation is similar Talashia's in that he is interested in ruins and relics of old Thassilon as well. He would have been traveling so a meetup on the road works well.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Meeting while on the road from Magnimar works well. There are lots of inns and small villages along the way to provide safety at night and the road is well-traveled. You might have hired on with the caravan as sell-swords (or sell-spells as the case my be). It wouldn't pay much, not enough to reflect a significant change in your starting cash, but it would provide your characters safe passage to Sandpoint for the festival, which is the main reason most people are traveling there in the first place. If nothing else, your characters might be hoping that the large influx of people for the festival will provide ample opportunity to look for employers needing your special skills.

Shayuri

First Post
Arr, well, Talashia's not after employment first and foremost, but she wouldn't say no to a little pocket change. :)

You know, it might be fun to have the name discussion semi-in character.

This strikes me as something they'd have hashed out at some point prior to arriving.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Arr, well, Talashia's not after employment first and foremost, but she wouldn't say no to a little pocket change. :)

You know, it might be fun to have the name discussion semi-in character.

This strikes me as something they'd have hashed out at some point prior to arriving.
I will start the campaign a few days out from Magnimar. Your characters are likely headed to Sandpoint for something to do with the Swallowtail Festival and the celebration of the opening of the new cathedral. Whatever your character's motivation may be, it should be enough to get you to Sandpoint. Upon discovering other characters with ties to Sandpoint, you have naturally bonded together one night over a campfire a few days outside of Magnimar. That's where we'll begin. I'll get the IC started up soon.

I've had a chance to glance over Vhir and nothing strikes me immediately as being out of place. So I will get an official review done soon, but in the meantime, the IC thread will be going up sometime today.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've decided to make a couple of changes (call them house rules if you like) to the original style of the campaign. The intent is to make book-keeping on everyone's part easier and let us focus on the action and roleplaying.

1) I have decided to use the Cost of Living rules with some minor adjustments so that I don't need to track specific calendar days. The rules can be found here on the OP site. Please take a moment to look them over.
2) Rather than track experience by post and post quality, the adventure path offers guidance on the expected level of the PCs throughout the game. I have decided to use this instead to track when characters level up. This makes tracking experience easier for all. I may modify it slightly based on how easy or difficult the campaign seems to be, especially given that the AP is intended for a party of four characters and not six, but to be honest, I do not expect that after a few months we will still have all six original party members, so for the first chapter at least, I will be sticking to the guidelines quite closely.
3) Because I still want to encourage players to role-play and post frequently and substantially (because that is what keeps a PBP campaign alive), I have decided to use another tangible form of reward for keeping with the expected posting frequency/quality level for players: Hero Points. The rules on Hero Points can be found here if you do not own the Advanced Player's Guide. You may take advantage of Hero Points even if you have selected the Core Rulebook Only Option for your character (but not Hero Point feats; those who did not select the Core Rulebook Only Option retain the right to select Hero Point feats). I have not decided upon the EXACT method by which I will award Hero Points, but the guidelines for awarding Hero Points in the APG will be a barometer. In addition, each real-time month for which I feel you have put forth a good-faith effort to contribute to the game by quality and quantity of posts, I will award your character 1 Hero Point (I may decide to alter the real-time based award if I feel it is too little or too much depending on how things go). In addition, those of you who have written a background story for you character receive 1 Hero Point at the campaign's beginning. I encourage you to use your Hero Points regularly as I intend to award them quite liberally. A single high-quality post may impress me so much that I will award a Hero Point on the basis of that post alone!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I just wanted to make another note that I've had a change of heart regarding the Feats of Varisia (page 13 of the original RotRPG). I originally addressed it in this post, but I have decided that these feats may be taken as bonus feats by all characters (one per character), even if you selected the Core Rulebook Only Option. Mowgli has already taken advantage of this it appears. As this is known to be a challenging AP, I am happy to grant you every advantage possible.

Remove ads