iOS 7

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I updated over the weekend -- the swipe features are especially handy for me, since I have to keep my phone passcode-locked because I have my work email on it. I didn't expect to like the look and feel changes, but I do. I find it a little easier to read in the flatter look and feel, actually, but that may just be me and my middle aged eyes.

-rg

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
A couple of things I have noted, I have the latest iPAD:
  • do not like the look
  • do like the improvements to responsiveness, just quicker iOS than before.
  • do like the battery life improvements, I know a lot depends on the user but iOS 7 is greatly improved the drain of iOS 6

Jhaelen

First Post
[*]do like the battery life improvements, I know a lot depends on the user but iOS 7 is greatly improved the drain of iOS 6
Sooo, for the iPad batteries now last longer?
Because one of the detrimental effects of upgrading to iOS 7 on my iPhone was a very noticeable faster battery drain. Again, this was only fixed by reading a long article about the new features and disabling a ton of (completely unnecessary) stuff.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Because one of the detrimental effects of upgrading to iOS 7 on my iPhone was a very noticeable faster battery drain. Again, this was only fixed by reading a long article about the new features and disabling a ton of (completely unnecessary) stuff.

I have heard it from others too but for me, seems to be working. I am running it on two different iPADs, personal one using just Wi-Fi and work with Verizon & Wi-Fi. Not seeing the drain that I use to see. Daily use would see my work iPad go from full charge @ start of day to 40% by the end of it, with two weeks of testing the lowest I have seen it has been 60%. I admit, it is always possible that some things may not be on, after the upgrade, but for work, devices are tracked so location service is always on as the device is interacting and collecting data. My personal device, there is only about a 10% difference but it is something I have noted.

I do have brightness turned down, Bluetooth OFF, AirDrop OFF and am selective on my Notifications. I big about closing unused apps (double home button and Xing the app) and this is easier in iOS 7. Also, power device (swipe) down once a week as a reboot.

Janx

Hero
Did you get this to work? You just need to swipe up. Double-click on Home, then swipe up on the app (not the icon) for those you want to close. It's faster than iOS6, and works fine for me.

Holy Shitake mushrooms. that worked. thank you.

It is faster (as I expected it to be). But who the heck would have thought to fling the app screen shot, instead of the app icon? Clearly somebody with a different frame of mind than myself :)

Janx

Hero

It might be a matter of what generation device you have/how old it is (thus remaining capacity). the older device, with slower processors is going to have to work harder to keep up, thus drawing more juice from an already smaller battery (because battery capacity shrinks over time).

I have the 5. I normally charge it every night, and last night I did not.

I'm down to about 3/4 charge this morning, having had bluetooth and wifi running the whole time, and conducting about 2-3 hours of calls over bluetooth headset with it and about 20 minutes of app fiddlingg (ex. facebook).

That seems reasonable to me for a full 24 hours since being last plugged in.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Meh. I've had it for a while (I'm a developer). It's fine. I find it hard to have an opinion about ios6 vs. ios7. It works just fine; so did ios6. A few extra features which are nice.

Dunno how that happened. Sorry to hear it, but that's not how iOS works - you just restore from iCloud. Even on a brand new phone; sets it up exactly like your old one. Sounds like you were victim to an unfortunate circumstance of some kind.

But, he did say he doesn't use the cloud, so that means he might not be able to solve the problem.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
But, he did say he doesn't use the cloud, so that means he might not be able to solve the problem.

Well, not backing up on iTunes and not backing up with the cloud does make data loss more likely. I remember one iOS version where the upgrade needed to backup, upgrade, then restore. Without a backup that would definitely lose info.

Fast Learner

First Post
If you're noticing an apparent battery life problem, letting it fully run down and shut itself off, then recharging to full may make a huge difference. iOS 7 has done a bad job of pulling battery status info from iOS 6, but a complete drain and recharge will solve the problem for most everyone.

cherise

First Post
I have seen the ios7 video too. In my own opinion, the developers of ios7 merely wants to present something new in the people. Reality bites, every time there was new software to launch. People are eager to know the new features added. And, I guess that is what most concern of developers when they upgrade the software.

Remove ads