Pathfinder 1E Mythic Adventures. Huh?

Kinak

First Post
Isn't that just 3e's Action Point rule from Eberron? Only less beneficial, since in Eberron you rolled more dice at higher level and added the best.
The Mythic Surge ability is basically that, yes. Mechanically, the die size increases as you gain Mythic Tiers, so it's quite close.

But they're used as a general pool to power certain mythic abilities. All mythic characters get mythic surge, but they also all get at least one specific to their path and can pick up others as they go. So, you can spend it to do normal action point things... or you can spend it to cast any spell from your arcane spell list as a swift action without expending a slot... or spend it to take an extra non-spell standard action on your turn... or get a +20 bonus to a Strength check... or whatever, depending on what abilities you chose.

Obviously, nobody's going to say "A pool of points you can spend to effect die rolls! What an incredibly novel concept!" But Mythic Surge does a really good job of providing a foundation for those situations when none of your specific abilities apply and you just want to kick things up a notch.

Tangenting a bit from your question, I think the real benefit of having that sort of pool from the design perspective are "boons," which is to say "giving people more mythic power when they do suitably mythic stuff." That's also not unique. But something doesn't have to be unique to work.

Cheers!
Kinak

paradox42

First Post
Tangenting a bit from your question, I think the real benefit of having that sort of pool from the design perspective are "boons," which is to say "giving people more mythic power when they do suitably mythic stuff." That's also not unique. But something doesn't have to be unique to work.
It's similar to the Stunting mechanic from Exalted, in fact. Take the time to compare the two, and the sorts of actions which trigger Boons look remarkably like the actions one can take to get extra dice in Exalted. That's not remotely coincidental, I'm sure.

Kinak

First Post
It's similar to the Stunting mechanic from Exalted, in fact. Take the time to compare the two, and the sorts of actions which trigger Boons look remarkably like the actions one can take to get extra dice in Exalted. That's not remotely coincidental, I'm sure.
I hadn't thought about that. But yeah, convergent evolution at the very least; they're trying to encourage very similar activities.

Cheers!
Kinak

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Going back to the list of characters under inspiration for the fighter archetype in 2e more than half solidly flow with the Mythic Adventures flavor. Having the game support that style seems a positive move.

Hereticus

First Post
Added link

Yeah, this is an old thread I am resurrecting...

I get how mythic tiers work, they are basically levels in a mythic path that are apart from standard levels.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic

But how does a character acquire mythic feats?
Is it one feat per tier?
And what is a "mythic power", and how do I "expend one use of mythic power"?

Keldin

First Post
But how does a character acquire mythic feats?
Is it one feat per tier?

It's every other tier, just like regular feats. 1st tier, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th. This also applies to the ability score increases, except at the even levels -- an ability score of your choice increases by +2 at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th tiers.

And what is a "mythic power", and how do I "expend one use of mythic power"?

Mythic Power (Su): Mythic characters can draw upon a wellspring of power to accomplish amazing deeds and cheat fate. This power is used by a number of different abilities. Each day, you can expend an amount of mythic power equal to 3 plus double your mythic tier (5/day at ist tier, 7/day at 2nd, etc.). This amount is your maximum amount of mythic power. If an ability allows you to regain uses of your mythic power, you can never have more than this amount.
--- Mythic Adventures, page 12

The methods of expending mythic power vary by what power you are using it for. For example, all mythic characters can expend one use of mythic power to increase any d20 roll by 1d6 (1d8 at 4th tier, 1d10 at 7th, and 1d12 at 10th) - this is the mythic surge. More powers are revealed as you increase your tier and mythic power can also be used for the specific features of each mythic path and for many of the path abilities.

Remove ads