Pathfinder 1E Mythic Adventures. Huh?

Hereticus

First Post
Thanks Keldin.
I like to plan out my characters to 20th level... even when starting out at first.

We just cleared out the Baphomet mongrelmen base in Wrath of the Righteous and hit third level.
My svirfneblin druid (neutral) will probably pick the Hierophant path when that option arises.

I think Mythic rules was an experiment that has now been largely forgotten by Paizo as they no longer support the product with new adventures and AP. My perception of it is that following Wrath of the Righteous, people realized this was beyond broken and not really adding much to the fun of the game other than being some silly generator for "how to dish out 1600+ dmg per round" threads on the Paizo boards.

IMO Paizo's efforts are best devoted on creating adventures, hardcovers, companions and campaign setting stuff.

I've often seen the suggestion that if you reach level 20 for a particular class, you're better off picking up level 1 in another level and keep leveling your PC rather than go for that Mythic craziness (i.e. you have a level 20 fighter, so when you gain another level, go wizard or something i.e. Ftr20/Wiz1; not sure what the CR would be for say, Ftr20/Wiz10 i.e. are they 'really CR 30' and could they hold their own vs. a CR 30 creature; probably not unless with a party of other level 30 allies...)

However, Paizo has a few monster stats for CR 25+ stuff that uses Mythic rules, so I'm not really sure how 'straight' leveled PCs would fare against those. Minor feat swaps may be needed for a GM throwing those at 'straight leveled' PCs...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I've said it elsewhere, but I'm quite disappointed Paizo never did epic level rules. I am no fan of the mythic rules, as they turn the game into a superhero-like game, rather than the more traditional fantasy gaming I enjoy. While they still could do them, of course, it does not seem like any of the designers are interested. Which sucks for me.

Keldin

First Post
I've said it elsewhere, but I'm quite disappointed Paizo never did epic level rules. I am no fan of the mythic rules, as they turn the game into a superhero-like game, rather than the more traditional fantasy gaming I enjoy. While they still could do them, of course, it does not seem like any of the designers are interested. Which sucks for me.

Maybe, but D&D's epic system (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicBasicsAndClasses.htm) is kludgy at best. Do people have any suggestions for better substitutes?

Hereticus

First Post

You will need to create them for yourself. Having read through mythic, in my opinion it is too much power-creep.

Back in 3.5ed we created core class levels all the way up to 30th. We considered 21-30 to be demigod levels (including elemental and outer planes), 31-40 to be minor deities, and 41+ to be full gods.

Characters that made it beyond 20th were also to be creative with level adjust enhancements, and to become an immortal mythic creature.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I really like the Mythic rules, and I dont run Paizo APs.
I even backed Legendary games KS and got the 3 Mythic books (Players, Spells, and Monsters).

1. When you are playing low level, your first Mythic tier increases our survivability a bunch.
2. Being that they are "quest based", the reward for completing an important section of the story in in Mythic Tier advancement. Now I know some people also do xp that way (mile-stoning), but to me this makes more narrative sense than just adding up an xp amount. (I am that way in terms of xp as well).
3. Yes, it makes character s more powerful. Sure, my 13th Level (Tier 2) Mythic Psion can do 36d6 damage using the Mythic form of Disintegration, but I spent my Mythic Feat and both Path Abilities to be able to do that. And I still:
a. Have to hit
b. They get a save
c. Beat Power/Magic Resistance.
It also costs power points and a Mythic Use.

Needless to say, i have only effectively cast it once out of 4 or 5 attempts.

4. I like that it can make Monsters much more challenging. Hunting a Mythic Bugbear can be a lot different than a regular Bugbear.

5. I like the Mythic Spells too, in that I dont really need more spell compendiums, but this enhances the spells we already have.

EMR

First Post
I make use of Mythic in my games. I've baked in Mythic progression with level advancement to create "30 levels". When people are performing their quests to gain their Mythic tiers their exp goes to earning bonus feats ala E6. The only real change I implimented was in multiplying damage. I use the VP / WP system from Ultimate Combat so what I did was any effect that multiplies damage instead deals 1 point of wound damage. So the nuttiness that is x8 damage from Mythic Vital strike is actually an attack that deals 8 WP of damage. I've added Mythic Tier HP to WP in order to make this more manageable.

After that... it seems to work really well. I mean the only real problem was that damage scaling was CRAZY, so making crits no longer multiply damage has allowed me to still make them meaningful (they do maximum damage now to VP and whatever their multiple would have been to WP) but not out of control. I personally LOVE the tools it gives, the resistances to SoDs, and the feel of the game with Mythic around. All in all it's one of the pieces of my Pathfinder Puzzle I wouldn't do without.

Psion

Adventurer
It's more just a big pile of extra cool powers, which nonetheless I found more interesting that such a quip might suggest. It acknowledges that the approach of extending the game by more levels (and all that entails) ad infinitum sort of never worked, so adds a second advancement track that doesn't have the typical level benefits.

It think it adds a bit of extra gameplay "design space" which is really only useful if you contrast it with normal play. As far as I am concerned, high level Pathfinder play is already pretty heroic high fantasy stuff as it is.

Starfox

Hero
My experience of mythic Pathfinder, halfway through Wrath of the Righteous, is that it is an immense help to martial characters and a help to spontaneous casters, while not really helping prepared casters prepared casters or skill-users much. As caster balance is a major issue many people have with Pathfinder, this is a kind of cure for that.

What it does is that it allows mythic characters to take an additional move/attack each round by spending a mythic point (which they get a fairly generous pool of). Thus, they can spend their normal actions to full attack every round. This increases martial character damage dramatically. PCs in my games generally outperform expectations, but not by this much.

Casters can spend a mythic point to cast an additional spell in a round, and this can be any spell on their list. This affords great versatility, especially to spontaneous casters, but is nothing like the benefit martials get.

I don't see skill users getting any really significant advantages, but then we have no characters focusing on skills, so the effects might bee there and I just havn't seen them yet.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
The skill based Mythic characters dont get as many enhancements to combat effectiveness, but their mythic abilities are centered around the application of their skills like Bluff, Disable Device, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics, Escape Artist, Stealth, etc.
Also they have some powers that are based around movement of the enemy/CMB maneuvers and such.

Remove ads