Trick or treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janx

Hero
Because excessive weight gain is not exclusively linked to eating candy.

My Mom had a thyroid problem, for instance, that caused her to gain a lot of weight. Both Jerry Lewis and Rush Limbaugh had weight gain linked to certain medications.

My personal weight gain was caused by overconsumption of calories and a corresponding lack of exercise, but candy had little to do with it. Part of it was because of my salt-induced hypertension. But candy? I like it and eat it, but its a rare thing- I'm just now getting to the (standard sized) Toblerone I got for Chrismas 2012...and that's my favorite candy bar. So far, I've eaten 1/3 of it.

So unless you know the kid, you don't know the problems.

Edit: plus, who is more likely to be effective at delivering the proper nutrition message, a "mean stranger" who embarrassed them or someone the kid knows & trusts?

Also, who is more likely to get TPed or pranked because of said message.

Yup. Not every fat kid is fat because they eat bad food or because they are lazy.

And the ones who are fat because of those "other" reasons they can't control seem to be doubly sensitive to jerkholes pointing out their condition and trying to tell them how to fix something they don't have any clue about. Such fat people I've met in that situation already feel bad for being stuck that way, and then they get a heaping dose of superficial judgement by others assuming they are lazy and gluttonous as well.

It is generally considered rude to inject your unasked for solution to a stranger's situation when you don't know the details of their problem and thus cannot verify your solution applies.

Unless you come from a culture where that italicized statement is not the societal norm, then that should be the end of the argument right there.

As such, a person who agrees with that rule should inherently get that "YOU DON"T KNOW WHY THE KID IS FAT, SO KEEP YOUR ADVICE TO YOURSELF."

It ain't rocket science, and anybody raised by in polite society should know it.

Everybody with a problem hates hearing from the peanut gallery on how to solve that problem with a solution that turns out to be based on incorrect assumptions.

Therefore confronting a stranger with potentially faulty advice is rude, antagonistic, quite possibly incorrect.

Janx

Hero
Because he is a mod and he said so.

I don't know that that's called for.

You new guys bring good topics to the table.

But as a collective, I'm seeing more non-veiled political remarks, and jabs at the mods from you guys (not anybody in particular and in fact some of them have been banned)

Please tone it down. Our EN culture isn't the same as WotC. I like to think it's lasted because of that.

Umbran usually brings well thought out, balanced and diplomatic discussion to threads. Sure, I have seen him not do so, and at other times, I have earned a warning from him as well. But generally, he's a good discusser.

As a mod, I imagine that can put him at odds with people, but I think he does a decent job of keeping that separate.

I do not think it would be fair for our unpaid mods to not be allowed to participate just because they are mods. That would in fact pretty much make visiting EN World an uncompensated chore.

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
Well, we have seen jabs at posters from Umbran concerning their intelligence and education, and calling them trolls. We have also seen condescending and adversarial attitude from him.
And we tend to fight fire with fire.
*shrug*
Nobody is saying he shouldn't participate in discussions, but he doesn't have to be a dick when he does.

Janx

Hero
Well, we have seen jabs at posters from Umbran concerning their intelligence and education, and calling them trolls. We have also seen condescending and adversarial attitude from him.
And we tend to fight fire with fire.
*shrug*
Nobody is saying he shouldn't participate in discussions, but he doesn't have to be a dick when he does.

I can't say one way or another, I've only seen one recent thread where he was called out, but I didn't see anything I thought was extreme (I've seen like one or two times TOTAL in the last ten years where I thought Umbran was out of line).

He's usually pretty good, and I'm just asking that we ease up a bit, EVEN IF he or anybody else has mis-stepped.

Because that keeps this kind of thing from escalating. And around here, we seem to do a decent job of not ruining threads by going overboard.

Again, I ain't a mod. I got nothing over any of you guys, new or not. Just stating a concern over changes in what I been seeing for awhile.

Thanks for listening.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That sounds exactly like modern (REDACTED)ism.

Actually, it sounds like a linguistically updated version of what Ms. Manners might suggest.

Normally, one does not go around offering unsolicited advice...

Ms. Manners, from a column about jabs for being skinny.

And here's one about advice to the obese.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...=gXszAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gvIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3145,72519

And on unsolicited advice in general:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ju...vice we have a strong volunteer force&f=false

So...not exactly "modern (REDACTED)ism".

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I made no assumption- the comparison to Ms. Manners' position shows its not modern anything, but rather a very traditional formulation of proper manners.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Because excessive weight gain is not exclusively linked to eating candy.

My Mom had a thyroid problem, for instance, that caused her to gain a lot of weight. Both Jerry Lewis and Rush Limbaugh had weight gain linked to certain medications.

My personal weight gain was caused by overconsumption of calories and a corresponding lack of exercise, but candy had little to do with it. Part of it was because of my salt-induced hypertension. But candy? I like it and eat it, but its a rare thing- I'm just now getting to the (standard sized) Toblerone I got for Chrismas 2012...and that's my favorite candy bar. So far, I've eaten 1/3 of it.

So unless you know the kid, you don't know the problems.
Being lazy and bad eating habits are not the only causes, that is true. That being said, odds are in countries like the US or Québec, that laziness and/or bad eating habits are the causes.

It is a reasonable assumption to make.

Edit: plus, who is more likely to be effective at delivering the proper nutrition message, a "mean stranger" who embarrassed them or someone the kid knows & trusts?
The television is the correct answer. Umm... Well maybe the interwebz these days. The problem with those two is that they are sending the wrong message. Publicity is all about hedonism, consumption, laziness and indulging in bad food.

As for mean, life is cruel and mean, kids need to learn it. What is the difference between that and a 91-0 loss at football?

Also, who is more likely to get TPed or pranked because of said message.
Meh, in Québec we do not have that culture of bullism and vadalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads