Trick or treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Whoa there. You're some anonymous stanger on the internet. I know nothing of your credentials or competence. Heck, you say your a lawyer but it can all be a lie. Your opinion is as good as mine.
Look this guy up:
texas state bar member 00796145

Then contact him if you will.

Janx

Hero
Bait.
Not taken.
Try again.

That wasn't bait. That was observation on y'alls little teehees as responses to Modding and that people have confided that they've started blocking you guys.

This forum does NOT work like WotC. You guys are sticking out like an unwelcome third thumb. And really, that's a shame.

If you think I was baiting you, then you guys might want to consider that you are interpreting things differently than the regular forum people.

I don't know how you guys should be. I just feel that the current style of posting seems to be escalating things. And it takes two sides to make a conversation get worse. I'd rather the sides to a discussion not be drawn along new guys vs. old guys.

Good luck. Honestly.

Janx

Hero
Wait ... we're the bad guys but you've all decided to organize in an effort to either get us to leave due to loneliness or through a coordinated effort of reporting until the mods decide to give us the boot? That's what you call textbook harassment. And if that's how ya'all roll, welll ... it's not anything new to us. Trust me, we've seen it all before. ;)

Anyhoo, maybe before you go on calling a group of people you admittedly know nothing about troublemakers or whatever you should take a look at the 'good' people on this site and see how they behave. If their response to new people is to ostracize and report, well, they're more like you think we are than we actually are.

I think the people blocking y'all have chosen not to participate. And once blocked, they don't see you anymore. So those people aren't the ones reporting you.

I think it's sad that they decided to do that, but since it seems they did so based purely on reading your work, seems its all on your presentation.

I don't think there's a coordinated effort of reporting you guys. At least I never got a memo on it. Nobody's messaging me to do so. I have no visibility into the EN machine, so I don't know who is reporting posts or at what frequency. My only sense is by how many red Mod posts show up and who they are addressed to.

I do agree that some of the old guys could choose their words better as well, myself included. The culture at EN World should be for all parties to seek to give people some credit when reading what they right. Sometimes we fail to do that.

I am sharing this because there is an us vs. them attitude forming. How do we stop that? Umbran's always going to be a know-it-all, and Danny's always going to be a lawyer. Let's work with that, instead of against it.

I'm sorry for any part I've had in posting badly.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
That wasn't bait. That was observation on y'alls little teehees as responses to Modding and that people have confided that they've started blocking you guys.

This forum does NOT work like WotC. You guys are sticking out like an unwelcome third thumb. And really, that's a shame.

If you think I was baiting you, then you guys might want to consider that you are interpreting things differently than the regular forum people.

I don't know how you guys should be. I just feel that the current style of posting seems to be escalating things. And it takes two sides to make a conversation get worse. I'd rather the sides to a discussion not be drawn along new guys vs. old guys.

Good luck. Honestly.

Sorry to barge in but your post here brought a couple of things to mind:

First, telling people you're reporting or ignoring them is baiting. You think you won't get a negative response when you tell someone you're purposefully treating them badly? Additionally all you did in the post RH called bait was tell us how awful others think we are. That's bait.

Second, I find it incredibly interesting that you decided to take RH's appraisal and tell him he's wrong because he interpreted things differently than other people do. That's interesting because from what I've seen here that's pretty much exactly what ya'all are doing. I don't know if you guys can't understand written sarcasm well or whatever but I've seen very, very obvious jokes taken dead serious by ya'all - whether out of ignorance or on purpose as an excuse to report, I don't know.

Anyhoo, this is a learning experience for everyone - we're learning your rules and you're learning our personality. Trust me, we've been behaving. If you think we're trying to be disruptive you know even less about us than you think. We're very happy that Morrus and some others let us come here after WotC did what they did - I mean that. Give it some time and you'll get used to us and we'll get used to you.

Where we came from was, admittedly, a strange, strange place. So strange, in fact, that I wrote a rather long introductory thread that was stickied and, likely, still is. In it I explained the customs of the forum we frequented most and our habits. I sometimes forget that we don't have that sort of thing to point to here - and we shouldn't because we are new. Anyhoo, we're oddballs and we do act differently. If that's something you can't handle the best thing probably would be to ignore us. I really couldn't care less. But if you give us a chance I think you'll see we're really harmless and quite a lot of fun to have around.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I think the people blocking y'all have chosen not to participate. And once blocked, they don't see you anymore. So those people aren't the ones reporting you.

I think it's sad that they decided to do that, but since it seems they did so based purely on reading your work, seems its all on your presentation.

I don't think there's a coordinated effort of reporting you guys. At least I never got a memo on it. Nobody's messaging me to do so. I have no visibility into the EN machine, so I don't know who is reporting posts or at what frequency. My only sense is by how many red Mod posts show up and who they are addressed to.

I do agree that some of the old guys could choose their words better as well, myself included. The culture at EN World should be for all parties to seek to give people some credit when reading what they right. Sometimes we fail to do that.

I am sharing this because there is an us vs. them attitude forming. How do we stop that? Umbran's always going to be a know-it-all, and Danny's always going to be a lawyer. Let's work with that, instead of against it.

I'm sorry for any part I've had in posting badly.

I appreciate the response here. I think I touched on the overall vibe well enough in my last post (written while you were writing this) but I'll say a few things here, too:

When in doubt, ask a question. As I stated earlier I've seen several examples of what I consider obvious sarcasm or jokes taken literally and then responded to as though they were serious - just the other day someone made a joke and was mod warned over it. A week or so ago I had a post that was very, very obviously a joke taken seriously and responded to that way (though with other goings on that day I suspect it was an effort to bait me into an argument that, by design, I couldn't win ... like I said, though, we've literally seen every tactic imaginable used against us). So maybe if you're (general) not sure, ask? And maybe we should make an effort to be clear - at least for a while - that we're joking when we are.

I don't care if someone ignores me so that works, too. Go ahead and click the link if that's what ya gotta do - you won't be the first or last. My PM box is also open and I'm more than willing to discuss things in private. Got a problem with 'one of us' or whatever? Send a PM. I guess what I'm saying here is that the forums seem clique-y as all hell and only a few of you are making any effort at all to let us in. If that's how it's gotta be, so be it. What-evs. But it's not because of us. I have received two PMs since I've been here - one from Morrus that I believe is an auto-generated welcome and a response from him about something I PMd him about. No effort has been made from peeps on 'your side' regarding talking to me about how I present myself. None. I don't have a problem with ya'all, ya'all have a problem with me. Why not talk about it? To me, it's better than just ignoring peeps and telling others to do the same but, again, ignore if you must. All I'm saying is don't put that decision on me if you've never even bothered to get my side of things.

I'm honestly curious why the peeps that chose to ignore did, though. We aren't here to troll ya'all and that's a fact.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

That is about enough of that.

Folks, we have said this time and time again. Allow me to make it really big, so you can't miss it:

DON'T MAKE IT PERSONAL

If you have to start questioning people's honesty to make your point, it is time to stop discussing the matter.

If you feel a need to start slinging insults at other groups of posters, it is likewise time to step away from the conversation.

This thread is closed. If we see this dynamic developing again in the near future, folks can expect to be given vacations from the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads