Need advice; Gluing miniatures

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Howdy folks!

Working on some 3D resin prints and need some advice, tips, and tricks. I seem to have no problem gluing my minis to hex bases, but when it comes to gluing an arm or torso to waist/legs, I have had no luck. The issue is that the prints are stable but not durable enough to be clamped or forced with much pressure. The size seems to be a real challenge. Folks mention using a tooth pick but im not sure what they mean and dont see any youtube vids. Thought I'd ask around for some advice here at EN World.

-Cheers

The Soloist

Adventurer
Which glue are you using?
1) Modelling plastic glue might not be the right choice because of the type of resin
2) Try Krazy glue.
3) Maybe your glue is too old and vented. You need to buy a new bottle.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I have super glue, epoxy, and gorilla glue. The gorilla has been perfect for getting my models onto bases. Its the pieces that i'm struggling with.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You need something like this. It smells, but it reacts with the glue to pretty much instantly set it.

1707154197987.png

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
You need something like this. It smells, but it reacts with the glue to pretty much instantly set it.

View attachment 345309
Yup, cyanoacrylate accelerant. Zip kicker is a common product name for it, but there are a bunch of them. I understand that the fumes can be toxic, so best not to huff the stuff. But it was a life-saver for me in building all my wargaming armies.

Failing that, even just a tiny bit of water can help accelerate bonding of super glue. I used to apply a drop using the end of a toothpick in a pinch.

MGibster

Legend
Insta-set was going to be my suggestion as well. Instead of using the pump spray, I often times use a brush and apply it to the part of the model without glue and then affix the piece. I use insta-set quite often when painting the resin ministures that come with Fallout Wasteland Warfare.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Insta-set was going to be my suggestion as well. Instead of using the pump spray, I often times use a brush and apply it to the part of the model without glue and then affix the piece. I use insta-set quite often when painting the resin ministures that come with Fallout Wasteland Warfare.
If using the pump spray bottle, one technique I've often employed to use less product and apply with greater precision is to unscrew the top and drip a single drop from the feed tube onto the join.

Remove ads