Trick or treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
One of my gamer friends had an interesting story.
Knock on the door.
Open door.
See another door with a sign on it saying "Knock and say 'trick-or-treat'."
When the victim does, the door opens, and a guy says "Happy Halloween! Have some candy!" and then started handing a fistful of candy.

So, Trick-or-Treat in reverse.

Seems this was a project put together by some former students now at SCU.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
And what I'm telling you is that a judge won't dismiss the case before trial because the fact pattern meets the criteria for pleadings for intentional torts. The intentional conduct + upset child will get you to the point of conducting discovery and hearing testimony. IOW, you act like the woman in the hoax and get sued, you WILL be spending money on attorneys and spending time in court.
Like I said, saying "your fat, lose weight" is not reckless, extreme or outrageous. It is a waist of the court's time and a judge would dismiss it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Like I said, saying "your fat, lose weight" is not reckless, extreme or outrageous. It is a waist of the court's time and a judge would dismiss it.

Say it all you want, that doesn't make it true.

Dismissal could happen. But given the fact pattern offered, it is highly unlikely that it would be a pre-trial dismissal because the legal elements of the tort- intentional act + causally linked injury- were adequately alleged. That the alleged injury in question is emotional and not physical means its even less likely to be dismissed pre-trial. The rest- as stated- would be a matter to be weighed by a trier of fact. Far more likely than a pre-trial dismissal would be an order to go to ADR. If that proved ineffective to satisfy both parties, then a hearing on the merits would start.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Right back at you, champ.;)

Crucial difference: you're guessing, I'm not.

I'm speaking from 17 years of real world experience within my profession. I know what legal pleadings look like because I've drafted them for civil and criminal courts. I have actual understanding of why & when judges dismiss cases, and the reasons they don't.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Crucial difference: you're guessing, I'm not.

I'm speaking from 17 years of real world experience within my profession. I know what legal pleadings look like because I've drafted them for civil and criminal courts. I have actual understanding of why & when judges dismiss cases, and the reasons they don't.
Whoa there. You're some anonymous stanger on the internet. I know nothing of your credentials or competence. Heck, you say your a lawyer but it can all be a lie. Your opinion is as good as mine.

Janx

Hero
Whoa there. You're some anonymous stanger on the internet. I know nothing of your credentials or competence. Heck, you say your a lawyer but it can all be a lie. Your opinion is as good as mine.

Actually, you and yer boys are the anonymous argumentative strangers on the internet. Nobody knows who you are and you haven't established yourselves as reasonable or credible. In fact some have already taken to putting all you guys on their ignore list.

DA's a forum regular who has consistently demonstrated his knowledge in legal matters over the last decade or so.

I don't know what yer goals are on this thread is. But you'll score more points and respect by acknowledging other people's valid points and giving credit that some of the people actually know their stuff (like Danny's legal knowledge being greater than the average poster).

You may not care about what others think, but it's gonna be pretty lonely in here if everybody ignores you until the Mods finally kick y'all out for some infraction amongst yerselves.

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
Actually, you and yer boys are the anonymous argumentative strangers on the internet. Nobody knows who you are and you haven't established yourselves as reasonable or credible. In fact some have already taken to putting all you guys on their ignore list.

DA's a forum regular who has consistently demonstrated his knowledge in legal matters over the last decade or so.

I don't know what yer goals are on this thread is. But you'll score more points and respect by acknowledging other people's valid points and giving credit that some of the people actually know their stuff (like Danny's legal knowledge being greater than the average poster).

You may not care about what others think, but it's gonna be pretty lonely in here if everybody ignores you until the Mods finally kick y'all out for some infraction amongst yerselves.

Bait.
Not taken.
Try again.

Zombie_Babies

First Post

Wait ... we're the bad guys but you've all decided to organize in an effort to either get us to leave due to loneliness or through a coordinated effort of reporting until the mods decide to give us the boot? That's what you call textbook harassment. And if that's how ya'all roll, welll ... it's not anything new to us. Trust me, we've seen it all before. ;)

Anyhoo, maybe before you go on calling a group of people you admittedly know nothing about troublemakers or whatever you should take a look at the 'good' people on this site and see how they behave. If their response to new people is to ostracize and report, well, they're more like you think we are than we actually are.

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
Wait ... we're the bad guys but you've all decided to organize in an effort to either get us to leave due to loneliness or through a coordinated effort of reporting until the mods decide to give us the boot? That's what you call textbook harassment. And if that's how ya'all roll, welll ... it's not anything new to us. Trust me, we've seen it all before. ;)

Anyhoo, maybe before you go on calling a group of people you admittedly know nothing about troublemakers or whatever you should take a look at the 'good' people on this site and see how they behave. If their response to new people is to ostracize and report, well, they're more like you think we are than we actually are.
QFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads