Trick or treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
As a I recall, the whole doctored candy scare was a myth. There are zero incidents of anybody getting a Razor Blade Apple, or whatnot.

And I do agree with you that regardless of correct terminology for negative/postive reinforcement, that handing out letters to fat kids instead of candy will very likely make the fat kid feel worse, not get better.

There are close to ZERO fat kids on the planet who don't know they are fat. Some stranger stopping to tell them, "hey you're fat, you shouldn't eat more candy" is not likely to boost their self esteem and cause them to alter their life trajectory in a good way.

I got no clue how you get a person to change their lifestyle, but I am pretty sure ruining a fun time for them is not on the list of best practices. Especially when fat people generally have a lower self esteem already (due to jerkholes singling them out about their weight in the past).

Meh, some people really don't know why they have the problems they do. If the child was raised in a household that only served terrible food (for whatever reason - no judgement made) then that's probably all the child knows about nutrition. The child, then, may well know he's fat but not know what to do about it. Someone telling them to lay off the candy may be the first real bit of advice they have ever had and may well lead them down a different path.

Sometimes people - even kids - need to be forced to face the painful truth.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There is a time & place for everything. Informing the kid about nutrition on his next pediatric checkup or the like is entirely appropriate. Singling him out when he's at the doorstep with his buddies on a night when everyone is having fun? Uncool.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The actual problemis well documented.

Why should you know the child?

Because excessive weight gain is not exclusively linked to eating candy.

My Mom had a thyroid problem, for instance, that caused her to gain a lot of weight. Both Jerry Lewis and Rush Limbaugh had weight gain linked to certain medications.

My personal weight gain was caused by overconsumption of calories and a corresponding lack of exercise, but candy had little to do with it. Part of it was because of my salt-induced hypertension. But candy? I like it and eat it, but its a rare thing- I'm just now getting to the (standard sized) Toblerone I got for Chrismas 2012...and that's my favorite candy bar. So far, I've eaten 1/3 of it.

So unless you know the kid, you don't know the problems.

Edit: plus, who is more likely to be effective at delivering the proper nutrition message, a "mean stranger" who embarrassed them or someone the kid knows & trusts?

Also, who is more likely to get TPed or pranked because of said message.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads