If a person could read minds, control thoughts/actions

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You know, not all females housed in a harem had sexual relations with the male head of household. Just saying.

The word has well-known, common connotations. If you don't want them thought of, don't use the word.

I don't know if you guys are among them, or realize that you're doing it. But there are folks out there who will use a word, then deny the common meaning, in order to either dodge when caught out with them, or to score a "gotcha" by claiming someone's making an inappropriate assumption. It is an informal logical fallacy sometimes called "equivocation". Willful use of a logical fallacy is dishonest.

Whether or not you're doing it here, since it is commonly done by jerks out in the world, you can rack it among the things around here folks won't like. Just saying.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
It seems pretty strongly implied by "harem".

I gave an alternate explanation. I've so far seen no comment on it. It's hardly fair to presume your interpretation is the only correct one when another has been presented.

The word has well-known, common connotations. If you don't want them thought of, don't use the word.

I don't know if you guys are among them, or realize that you're doing it. But there are folks out there who will use a word, then deny the common meaning, in order to either dodge when caught out with them, or to score a "gotcha" by claiming someone's making an inappropriate assumption. It is an informal logical fallacy sometimes called "equivocation". Willful use of a logical fallacy is dishonest.

Whether or not you're doing it here, since it is commonly done by jerks out in the world, you can rack it among the things around here folks won't like. Just saying.

There are also folks out there who refuse to listen to what others have to say because they presume that anything they're thinking has to be correct. They refuse to give others the benefit of the doubt because they know better. They even go so far as to ignore alternate explanations presented by third party participants in order to keep the illusion alive.

I'm not saying anyone here is one of these people. I'm simply saying that I've been led to believe that that sort of behavior will not be well received around here.

Janx

Hero
You know, not all females housed in a harem had sexual relations with the male head of household. Just saying.

I didn't know that.

I assumed when he said Harem, he meant get a bunch of women together for the purposes of coitus.

Given the context of having mind control powers, the most direct means to that end is evil.

I'm also not sure using duplicity in finding what attracts the women and pretending to be that isn't evil as well. It's dishonest and violating their privacy.

bone_naga

Explorer
Interesting point. However, he never said he'd use it to dominate them. dood, he can read their friggin' minds. All ya gotta do is poke around, find out what sort of man gets their attention and modify your behavior to imitate what they're after. This, though, is where it gets interesting: How moral is it to pretend?
That's kind of what I was thinking. To me, a harem implies that they are going to be hanging around. If he was dominating them, he'd have to be doing it all the time (or else keep them in a cage when not in use, but I imagine in living conditions like that their appearance and general appeal would deteriorate rapidly).

I wouldn't really see too much wrong with simply seeing what they want and then trying to project that. If it's wrong to do a little pretending to get laid, I think most adults are probably guilty.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
harems: 1. A house or a section of a house reserved for women members of a Muslim household.2. The wives, concubines, female relatives, and servants occupying such a place.
3. A group of women sexual partners for one man.

To me, and the people I know, the common usage is number 3.

You seem to consider that it means "rape house", or something similar, and that this is what people think when they think harem. Is it the case? Cause it is not accurate and is more complexe than that. Some women might want to be part of the harem for prestige and economic reasons. Some might come from arranged marriages, but that doesn't they get rape when they have intercourse. It is just how marriage works in some cultures.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
3. A group of women sexual partners for one man.

To me, and the people I know, the common usage is number 3.

Yes, that's fine.

You seem to consider that it means "rape house", or something similar, and that this is what people think when they think harem. Is it the case?

When the people are there by mind control, so they aren't there of their own free will, it becomes a rape scenario. We could quibble over the ethical implications of using mind-reading to construct pleasing lies, such that the people are there under false pretenses - but I can cut to the chase to say that I don't think it is acceptable behavior.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases