If a person could read minds, control thoughts/actions

Nagol

Unimportant
Oh, that reminds me, there's another issue with such a power that would kind of make it so you don't want to use it frequently - unintended consequences.

Let's say you use it to gain an advantage in a job interview. What happens when, in the course of the job, it becomes obvious that you weren't as good in reality as the power allowed you to seem? Now, you're stuck having to use the power repeatedly just to cover your butt. Or, worse yet, what if the people who make decisions are out of range, in the corporate office in the next city over, and you *can't* cover your butt from them? While it may have seemed like an easy-in, that power can lead to you digging yourself into a hole that is worse in the long run.

There's some things, like saving lives, stopping serious harm to people, which we can reasonably guess that the good we do would exceed the harm of consequences. But as the stakes for which you use the power decrease, the chance of having consequences be larger than your actions increase.

I suspect that if you had these powers, you wouldn't be bothering to go to job interviews at all. There are a lot of mostly-victimless (or at least deserving victim) ways to acquire sufficient wealth/standard of living to obviate the need for a job. And if you're trying for employment because it's your life's passion, you probably have sufficient skill in the craft. You'd be using your talents in that case to guarantee winning the contest since that uses a different skill set than actual job performance anyway.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because of jealousy?

Sorry. Jokes about having sex with people against their own will don't come off as funny to me.

And, staying on topic, there are plenty enough people who would actually do as you suggested that yes, in the real world, individuals with the power would not be trusted by the rest. Hiding the power would be imperative, so that using it frequently would be contraindicated, unless your range and the numbers of people you could affect were astronomical.

And if you want to use the power to protect yourself - better hope its range exceeds that of a sniper rifle.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I'd be uncomfortable hanging around with people who say they would use this power freely and constantly. The answer reveals character.

Bullgrit

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
Who said anything about having sex with people against their will, other than you?
And I thought it was funny AND clever. Sorry you missed out on the fun.
Relax.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Let's say you use it to gain an advantage in a job interview. What happens when, in the course of the job, it becomes obvious that you weren't as good in reality as the power allowed you to seem? Now, you're stuck having to use the power repeatedly just to cover your butt. Or, worse yet, what if the people who make decisions are out of range, in the corporate office in the next city over, and you *can't* cover your butt from them? While it may have seemed like an easy-in, that power can lead to you digging yourself into a hole that is worse in the long run.

That's not really a problem. Getting fired means you'll just have to use your powers during your next interview. ;)

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Sorry. Jokes about having sex with people against their own will don't come off as funny to me.

Interesting point. However, he never said he'd use it to dominate them. dood, he can read their friggin' minds. All ya gotta do is poke around, find out what sort of man gets their attention and modify your behavior to imitate what they're after. This, though, is where it gets interesting: How moral is it to pretend?

Janx

Hero

And, staying on topic, there are plenty enough people who would actually do as you suggested that yes, in the real world, individuals with the power would not be trusted by the rest. Hiding the power would be imperative, so that using it frequently would be contraindicated, unless your range and the numbers of people you could affect were astronomical.

And if you want to use the power to protect yourself - better hope its range exceeds that of a sniper rifle.

Having just seen the Season 4 episode of the 4400 where the kid's power made everybody like him, this seems reasonable. At some point, the school beauty shows up and gives herself to the kid. Later, that hold over everybody is released.

I'm surprised the town didn't kill the kid right then and there for what he did to them, but that's hollywood writing in effect.

I suspect that if you had these powers, you wouldn't be bothering to go to job interviews at all. There are a lot of mostly-victimless (or at least deserving victim) ways to acquire sufficient wealth/standard of living to obviate the need for a job. And if you're trying for employment because it's your life's passion, you probably have sufficient skill in the craft. You'd be using your talents in that case to guarantee winning the contest since that uses a different skill set than actual job performance anyway.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Remove ads