New Footwear

Sounds cool. I've done the Army 10-Miler but I haven't done a half marathon yet. Mostly because running for that long bores the hell out of me. Still, part of me wants to do a half and a full marathon just to say that I did.

I think either I'll just end up doing some equivalent-length obstacle races (like some of the longer Spartan Races) or at least find one that would be pretty interesting. In Colorado, they have a half marathon that goes up Pike's Peak and the next day is a full marathon where they run up and run back down. That's something I might be able to do. I would have jumped on it last time I was there, but I was there for work and I had to leave the day before the half marathon.
Didn't you say the first time you put on your Skeletoes you ran 17 miles? That's more than a half-marathon, and it's getting close to a full. I'm actually surprised you haven't run that distance as part of your on the job training or work.

bone_naga

Explorer
I don't find them boring with the great vistas and girls in Lululemon running gear.
I've found that this is a common feature of many races, one of my favorite features in fact.

I have have looked at some links of Spartan and Tough Mudder races. The ones I looked at were 10 milers with the obstacles and such and perhaps teams. I wanna do one. Last one I checked out had an electro shock section?
There are a lot of mud/obstacle races out there and most of them are only 5k runs. The Spartan Race has different lengths ranging from 5k to a full marathon to their Death Race where they don't tell you the length, just that it might last for 24-48 hours. Some races have electroshocks, but not most of them. Tough Mudder does, Run For Your Lives (now called Zombie Race) has a couple, and the MudmanX Beach Run had one, but it wasn't working.

bone_naga

Explorer
Didn't you say the first time you put on your Skeletoes you ran 17 miles? That's more than a half-marathon, and it's getting close to a full. I'm actually surprised you haven't run that distance as part of your on the job training or work.
18 miles, but I didn't do it as an official event or anything. And we've repeatedly established just what a terrible idea that was. And I have done it for work (which was why I chose that distance for the Skeletoes). But doing stuff for work sucks all the fun out of it. I love shooting, camping, hiking, and I had always wanted to jump out of an airplane, yet all of these things are ruined for me when done on the job.

18 miles, but I didn't do it as an official event or anything. And we've repeatedly established just what a terrible idea that was. And I have done it for work (which was why I chose that distance for the Skeletoes). But doing stuff for work sucks all the fun out of it. I love shooting, camping, hiking, and I had always wanted to jump out of an airplane, yet all of these things are ruined for me when done on the job.
I noticed you didn't mention blowing stuff up.

I don't doubt it. There really aren't any companies catering to that niche right now.
Yeah, I know. Now if we only knew the first thing about shoe production and design. Vibram tends to design and produce soles for various companies. I don't see why they wouldn't do it for a boot. The only thing is how to design a real minimalist sole that still provides the protection need for hiking? I may just have to look into this.

bone_naga

Explorer
Hmmm....anyone else having problems with the reply button? It's no longer quoting people.

Anywho, yeah I didn't mention that part because blowing stuff up is still fun, even with the occasional stupidity attached to it.

bone_naga

Explorer
Yeah, Vibram makes soles for Merrell. They make soles for resoling boots. I'm sure we could come up with something. Maybe they don't have anything against reselling their soles so long as we are buying from them or maybe we would need a specific agreement with them, but I'm sure the latter would be possible to do.

I'm thinking we would want a soft boot, but one that could hold the foot firmly in place so it doesn't slide and create blisters. A large toe box would be necessary. We'd need to meet some of the basic requirements (tan, it's either 6 or 8 inches minimum height, no zippers), I'm thinking we'd want some thickness in the sole and some bit of cushion, but it could be real soft, something like the Nike SFB that has very soft and flexible material, then use harder rubber for the actual tread, we could even make it chopped up like the Nike Free sole for some better ground feel, and it would have a 0mm heel to toe drop.

bone_naga

Explorer
We could also do service-specific modifications. The Marines like to have their little logo with the parakeet near the heels, so we could do that on request. The Chair Force likes these hideous tan boots that are dyed blue (but they usually come out looking sickly green instead) so we could do that too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases