Do you care what other people think of you?

Piston Honda

First Post
In the real world, in real life, do you care what people think of you?

Of course, though most of those people are work related or hobby related. In the case of the first it's about being a representative of the company I work for and wanting it to look good, or building from within. As far as hobbying, I want people to enjoy the stuff I do so that the hobby grows and not see us as prickish. Granted, I can come off as hard on people, but it's normally from a place of trying to encourage.

Have you ever been surprised to learn what someone thought of you? Was the surprise good or bad?

Yes, I'm generally surprised when I find out people like me when I haven't had a lot of interaction with them. I'm very blunt about a lot of things, I try to be constructive and empathetic though. I don't personally feel the second part comes out as much as the first part.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Have you ever been surprised to learn what someone thought of you? Was the surprise good or bad?

Do I care what people think of me? Absolutely, but I don't care about what everybody thinks about every aspect of myself. Mainly, I don't want people thinking I'm someone or something I'm not regardless of whether they have a positive impression of me or a negative one. If people bring their prejudices to the party, that's on them - I just want them to have a reasonably correct impression of who and what I am.

And I have been surprised. Good on some occasions, bad on others.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I did get a laugh when I found out everyone at one place I worked assumed I was gay because I wasn't hitting on the women, didn't have a wife &/or kids, and saw that I bought Eartha Kitt CDs (among others).
Did I mind? No. Did I care? No. But I did think it was funny.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
sabrinathecat said:
I did get a laugh when I found out everyone at one place I worked assumed I was gay because I wasn't hitting on the women, didn't have a wife &/or kids
No joke: I thought you were a woman. I judged you by your screen name.

Bullgrit

Grehnhewe

First Post

Bullgrit
This question brings to mind an item on a blog I read: 37 ways to be a Badass by Chris McCombs:

I once heard a guy say “At 18 I worried about what everyone thought of me, at 40 I stopped caring what they thought, at 65 I realized they weren’t thinking about me at all”

At some level we all care what others think, the guy who says he doesn’t care what people think of him wants people to think he doesn’t care what people think of him.

Even though we ALL care what others think to some degree or another, the more you can realize that what others think of you really isn’t any of your business, and that your business is what you think of you, and what you think of them, the more badass your life will be.

Just like your thoughts are your business, their thoughts are their business. Stay in your own business

Elf Witch

First Post
Yes I do care what people think about me. But I also realize that I you can't let it have a major impact on you if they don't like you. I also recognize that often it is them not you and there is really nothing you can do to change their opinion so it is best just to move on.

Remove ads