Do you care what other people think of you?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
In the real world, in real life, do you care what people think of you?

Have you ever been surprised to learn what someone thought of you? Was the surprise good or bad?

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Depends on the person. There are plenty of people in real life I don't care what their opinion is of me. Sometimes for my job I piss people off with what I have to tell them. Some people understand and some take it personal.

And yes, I have been surprised to learn what some people think of me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm no psychology expert, but I would be inclined to imagine that anybody who truthfully answered "no" to that question would be a sociopath.

Dioltach

Legend
The older I get, the less I'm interested in the opinions of people I don't know and don't care about. There was a time when I wouldn't leave the house without shaving in the morning, or wearing the same shirt as the day before. Now I take a more relaxed attitude. When it comes to my personality, what matters to me is what the people who know me think, not people who see one facet of my life and are supposed to form an opinion about me.

(Note that this doesn't stop me from judging other people that I don't know -- but I wouldn't expect them to care.)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
For the vast majority of the people in the world, no, I don't particularly care. For the small remainder, I care a great deal.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As others have noted, it isn't a simple yes or no. My concern differs for coworkers, friends, relatives, complete strangers, social acquaintances - I care in different amounts about different aspects of what they think.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
No. I care about what I think of me. I care about living up to my expectations for myself.
(I'm sure this comes as no surprise to people who've read my various movie and TV comments)
I am who I am. If you don't like me, leave me alone. Simple, basic, perhaps childishly simple, but then again, this is the internet.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I learned a long time ago after some rather angsty teen years that I'm the only person I need to impress. I don't necessarily live my life that way outwardly but I can guarantee you it's something I do live. Unfortunately this means I have to sometimes care what others think as this has an impact on my life and, therefore, how I may perceive myself. I would be less happy without a job, for example.

Remove ads