The perfect cRPG for old people to get a taste of the hobby?

Kariotis

Explorer
I should've expected this to immediately devolve into a discussion of at what age you qualify as old 🤦‍♀️

But in the end it's about how to give people in general a taste of the genre, to be fair. Maybe excluding kids because they are outliers ^_^

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Do you feel it's important that they play the RPG to get the taste, @Kariotis? Because, yes, that runs into the question of whether they want to play a CRPG at all, and then the second problem of how much the CRPG represents a good RPG experience. (Plenty of good CRPGs aren't really good at giving the feel of an actual RPG.)

If that's what you want, I'd say Baldur's Gate 3, possibly on the lowest difficulty level.

But I'd also consider showing them D&D: Honor Among Thieves and then maybe a well-produced (with professional performers) actual play game. One of the more traditional seasons of Dimension 20, for instance, might be a good choice. The Dungeons & Drag Queens season is only four episodes long and Brennan spends a great deal of time making it accessible to the newbies in the group (which is at least three of the four, I think).

Kariotis

Explorer
Do you feel it's important that they play the RPG to get the taste, @Kariotis? Because, yes, that runs into the question of whether they want to play a CRPG at all, and then the second problem of how much the CRPG represents a good RPG experience. (Plenty of good CRPGs aren't really good at giving the feel of an actual RPG.)

If that's what you want, I'd say Baldur's Gate 3, possibly on the lowest difficulty level.

But I'd also consider showing them D&D: Honor Among Thieves and then maybe a well-produced (with professional performers) actual play game. One of the more traditional seasons of Dimension 20, for instance, might be a good choice. The Dungeons & Drag Queens season is only four episodes long and Brennan spends a great deal of time making it accessible to the newbies in the group (which is at least three of the four, I think).
Well, they always showed interest in the subject, it's just that gaming in a group didn't seem to interest much. Admittedly there's no guarantee they'll have fun, but they've always been open to trying out new things ... so why not.

Seems you're talking more about TTRPGs but I was talking more about giving them a taste of RPGs in general, encompassing the game genre across media and platforms. As this is a TTRPG board it's not surprising people think TTRPG when hearing "RPG", though :cool: Which is one of the reasons why the D&D movie might not be a good fit for them. "The Gamers - Dorkness Rising", being more overtly 4th wall breaking and being more about how to play a TTRPG while still telling it's own story, might interest them though.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well, they always showed interest in the subject, it's just that gaming in a group didn't seem to interest much. Admittedly there's no guarantee they'll have fun, but they've always been open to trying out new things ... so why not.

Seems you're talking more about TTRPGs but I was talking more about giving them a taste of RPGs in general, encompassing the game genre across media and platforms. As this is a TTRPG board it's not surprising people think TTRPG when hearing "RPG", though :cool: Which is one of the reasons why the D&D movie might not be a good fit for them. "The Gamers - Dorkness Rising", being more overtly 4th wall breaking and being more about how to play a TTRPG while still telling it's own story, might interest them though.
This video might be relevant

Jahydin

Hero
Beginner friendly:
Skyrim/Fallout/Mass Effect - All can run on just about any machine, some of the most accessible games ever made, completely solo, cheap, and they all do an amazing job of introducing people to what an RPG is. Choose the one with the genre that interests them the most.

Advanced:
Dragon Age - This series brought so many of my gamer friends to my table to play D&D for the first time.
Baldur's Gate 3 - Would rather play this than 5E at the table.
Cyberpunk 2077/Witcher 3 - Impressive graphics, gameplay, and storytelling.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - For those that like Westerns.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Seems you're talking more about TTRPGs but I was talking more about giving them a taste of RPGs in general, encompassing the game genre across media and platforms. As this is a TTRPG board it's not surprising people think TTRPG when hearing "RPG", though :cool:
Well, you did contextualise it in terms of them having visited your TTRPG games and not really got the appeal, so the implication was very much there.

Remove ads