IC - Mad King's Monkey II

doghead

thotd
Day one, mid morning, in the Chancellor's study.

"So, now you are all here."

"The news out of the Land of Russ is not good, I am afraid. The Emperor of Ragesia, the largest nation in Russ, died recently. There is talk of assassination for what it is worth. But so far as I know, it is only rumour so far. Regardless, various leaders in Ragesia appear to be manoeuvring to claim power in the resulting vacuum, while those under the heel of the Empire see it as an opportunity to get out from under. In other words, everyone is talking war. At best things will likely be unsettled. At worst, you will find yourself in the middle of a war. And wars have a way of making things messy. Which is why, as you so elegantly put it," he says with a nod in the direction of Bayar, "There are so many swords."

"As you know that Baron is concerned about the changes in the Netherworld. Henri," the Chancellor nods in the direction of Bayar, Eban, Jan and Libros, "Believes that the manuscripts you found in the ... forest may hold some answers, and that Master Tallman may be able to help make sense of those answers. He has managed to convince the Baron that this is too valuable an chance to waste. So the Baron has agreed to help. Your trip has nothing to do with what is happening in Russ. There should be no reason for you to get involved, or for anyone there to take any interest in thwarting what you are doing.

"Russ is a long way from here. Events there are of little concern to us, and your task has no bearing on what is happening there. Outside this room there are only a few who know where you are going, and what you are carrying. So hopefully, there should be no complications."

[sblock=OOC]A little general background. The Reaches of Man consist of numerous 'lands' or 'islands' separated by sea. Around the lands themselves travel by sea, coastal passage, is fairly ordinary. But once beyond sight of land, things get a little different - space time distortions, temporal anomalies, something like that (read - we haven't really decided).

The most common means of travel between lands is via portals that connect two points. The space between is occupied by the Netherworld. Between major destinations there are usually direct paths. Between lesser destinations you might be required to take several trips through the Netherworld. As Russ is not a 'neighbour', several trips are likely. There are also likely to be several route options.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

"So, now you are all here."

. . . . .]

jan is deep in thought for several minutes as he contemplates the possible ramifications. "So with all of the far reaching influences of the Regsian empire, we should be prudent to keep our ears and eyes open I am guessing. Will we be traveling near Gate Pass?"

G

Guest 11456

Li Thuan, male human monk

Thuan speaks up. "Ready am I. Or get supply, then ready?"

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

thotd

"Once you have completed that task, you are to proceed to Gate Pass City in the land of Russ. There you will seek out Master Peppin Tallman. ...

... we should be prudent to keep our ears and eyes open I am guessing. Will we be traveling near Gate Pass?"

"Most certainly. And yes."

"My carriage and a couple of horses are being prepared to take you to the capitol. If you leave before noon, you will reach the Capitol before sundown the day after tomorrow. Supplies as needed, within reason, will be provided when you get there. Speak to Steward. He will also provide you with some funds, and should be able to assist you with directions to Russ.

"Now, if there are no more questions I will leave you to your preparations. Good Luck. Stay out of trouble, and come back safely." The Chancellor nods to the Steward, who, assuming that there are no more questions*, ushers the seven out of the room.

[sblock=OOC]* if there are, you can still ask. Just wanted to keep things moving along.

As for supplies, general consumable will be proved as will basic equipment. If it helps, think of it this way. If your character buys it themselves, it is theirs, if the Baron provides it, it remains his property.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Three, late afternoon, in the capitol of the Duchy of Hesse.

The carriage seats four inside and another one up front with the driver. The trip is uneventful, and late in the afternoon on the day after next, you find yourself passing through the gates of the capitol. It takes an hour to travel the distance from the gates to the residence. The streets of the city are crowded with people. After two days in the country, the smell of masses of humanity living in close confines is unmistakable. The mood in the city is somewhat tense. The young Duke is unwell, and has no heir but he has two elder sisters. It is no secret that the Duke does not want his sister to inherit. The factions manoeuvre. Everyone waits.

Eventually the carriage jerks to a stop for the last time in the yard of the of the residence of the Baron in the city. A number of household staff rush out to assist. The household Steward stands on the steps watching closely with a sour look on his face.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ullara had been quiet, watching the others bombard the Chancellor with questions, quirking an eyebrow at the amount of muscle and minds needed to deliver requests, but this was politics, and such maneuvering was bound to be easily as dangerous a traveling with a wolf pack. And considering the colorful collection of characters she had asked to travel with, the danger could easily come from both directions! But he must trust them, as he trusted her, and she had held her tongue for now, waiting to see how they conducted themselves.

Ullara doesn't even come up to the shoulder of most of the men, but the brindle mastiff at her side, and now at her feet in the carriage, comes to her shoulder easily. Despite her doll-like stature, she wears leather armor and bears weapons that have seen hard use.

"Well then," Ullara says, letting Bran, her mastiff, descend from the carriage first before alighting herself with a little jump, "shall we? Soonest begun is soonest done, and we have more miles to roam."

Scott DeWar

"Well then," Ullara says, letting Bran, her mastiff, descend from the carriage first before alighting herself with a little jump, "shall we? Soonest begun is soonest done, and we have more miles to roam."

Jan steps down after Ullara steps down, "That reminds me of a piece by a master poet I heard once, 'I love the forest dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep'" he smiles warmly.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ullara smiles a bit at that. "Should we find a book of that poet, I think I should like to read him. That line could describe my life!" She turns to nod politely to the Steward, patting Bran's head absently and keeping him from nibbling on the servants.

[sblock=OOC]Hey, I don't suppose people would be willing to give a very brief character description in some soonish post, being as the newbie is still playing catch-up with who y'all are? :)[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=OOC]Hey, I don't suppose people would be willing to give a very brief character description in some soonish post, being as the newbie is still playing catch-up with who y'all are? :)[/sblock]

Jan appears average framed, but graceful in his stepping. He is lightly but smartly equipped for a common solder, his eyes belie a greater then average intelligence, when he smiles the whole room lightens and warms.

Remove ads