Is it possible that 2nd edition could make a very popular come back?

Our survey says... hang on. It's just been eaten by a pigasus.

Seriously, there are good things about 2e and things I want to see back. Notably Planescape (Sigil without the factions just doesn't do the job), and a couple of other settings. But 2e itself? Most people can do without the rules themselves coming back. It's not the rules that were the part loved about that game.

Brock Landers

Banned
Banned

Seriously, there are good things about 2e and things I want to see back. Notably Planescape (Sigil without the factions just doesn't do the job), and a couple of other settings. But 2e itself? Most people can do without the rules themselves coming back. It's not the rules that were the part loved about that game.

That's why stick with the original boxed set/hardcover of any campaign setting, ignore busybody writers with their: Time of Troubles, Prism Pentad, Spellplague, Grand Conjunction, Age of Mortals, Unhuman War II, Faction War, etc.

Mallus

Legend
It's not the rules that were the part loved about that game.
They were for me. I have no abiding love for Planescape, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer as settings -- though Planescape is the backdrop for the bestest CRPG evar.

But AD&D/AD&D 2e as rule-sets? I like them quite a lot, especially after almost a decade of running 3e, and then 4e.

If I ever were to cobble together my "perfect Frankenstein's version of D&D" I'd use AD&D/AD&D 2e as the basic framework.

But to answer the question: "Will 2e make a popular comeback?". No. Of course not.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
They were for me. I have no abiding love for Planescape, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer as settings -- though Planescape is the backdrop for the bestest CRPG evar.

But AD&D/AD&D 2e as rule-sets? I like them quite a lot, especially after almost a decade of running 3e, and then 4e.

If I ever were to cobble together my "perfect Frankenstein's version of D&D" I'd use AD&D/AD&D 2e as the basic framework.

But to answer the question: "Will 2e make a popular comeback?". No. Of course not.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Except, there's a good chance that these days I'd use DDN as my perfect homebrew starting point--a lot depends on the final product, of course.

Ah anecdotal evidence, proving arguments since 1974. My Mum told me so.

I mean seriously, you heard some people that you know talk about it and several people on the WotC forum mentioned in a thread that it was their favourite edition. If that's what you equate to a comeback, 5E must be a roaring success already, purely based on the amount of discussion it's generating.

Zardnaar

Legend
2nd ed would probably make a good template for a future D&D, not a comeback as such. My own D&D game is a hybrid of 2nd and parts of 3rd so it useds things like ascending AC and fort/ref/will and BAB. Classes are closer to 2nd ed classes than 3rd ed classes in most cases and I use individual class based xp.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
2e is too close to 1e to make a full-on revival viable, at least as far as its rules are concerned. There are plenty of areas where 2e is mechanically an improvement over 1e - it's just that you can house-rule those advancements into a 1e retro clone so easily that there isn't the same pressing need for a 2e retro clone. 2e's ease of reading doesn't help - when the books are easy to grok, there's less call for a reworking of them along the lines of OSRIC. That's my feeling, anyhow. Certainly in my own AD&D homebrew rules, I'm using a combination of 1e and 2e - usually with 1e as baseline, and modding with 2e as needed. That ease of modding actually works against the need for a 2e revival, imho :).

(2e's beautiful settings are another matter, but those can be reborn independent of edition, as we've seen.)

interfactor

First Post
2nd ed would probably make a good template for a future D&D, not a comeback as such. My own D&D game is a hybrid of 2nd and parts of 3rd so it useds things like ascending AC and fort/ref/will and BAB. Classes are closer to 2nd ed classes than 3rd ed classes in most cases and I use individual class based xp.
Hi Zardnaar,
Your game sounds a lot like Castles & Crusades. Would that be a fair characterization?
It seems to me that 2e simplified and standardized a lot of the rougher 1e rules and is a pretty reasonable base to build upon. So I agree that 2e may serve as a basis for a new ruleset, but not a full blown revival.
interfactor

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Is this a thing? (Goes to look)

Found multiple images. This was, IMHO, the cutest.

370.png

Remove ads