Is it possible that 2nd edition could make a very popular come back?

Zardnaar

Legend
Hi Zardnaar,
Your game sounds a lot like Castles & Crusades. Would that be a fair characterization?
It seems to me that 2e simplified and standardized a lot of the rougher 1e rules and is a pretty reasonable base to build upon. So I agree that 2e may serve as a basis for a new ruleset, but not a full blown revival.
interfactor

In some ways yest but the classes resemble 3.5 more its jst fighter for example had AD&D level saves on fort, ref, wii and clerics and Druids are back to AD&D power levels and lose lvl 8 and 9 spells. Basically fixing 3.5 while adding parts of AD&D/BECMI/D&DN.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
So far, 2E is at the top of my list of systems to use in an upcoming campaign. Also, it would give me a good excuse to buy the re-issued books.

Neil1889

First Post
I play a subtly house-ruled version of A&D2e, the DM using what were some of my own subtle house rules* along with his own. I've sat at this chap's gaming table since 1986.

* Said DM happens to play in my own D&D 4e game. I also play on the Play-by-Post forum here.

Grandvizier

First Post
The World Turns

2ed will be the game of choice, mainly from nostalgia reasons I believe for a generation of players, myself included. Watching the younger generations, and seeing the changes in the way they think I dont believe it will ever return. Too many other good options coming through the pipeline.

2ed will be the game of choice, mainly from nostalgia reasons I believe for a generation of players, myself included. Watching the younger generations, and seeing the changes in the way they think I dont believe it will ever return. Too many other good options coming through the pipeline.
Well, since the OP was 4 years ago I'd say no, it isn't going to make any kind of comeback. Hey! I think I post-predicted that correctly!

Dorian_Grey

First Post
So yeah, love 2nd Ed and didn't bother reading the dates and times :D. Thread necromancy always bypasses my wisdom saves...

Last edited:

I was in gaming groups through most of the 2E days, and the thing I remember most about the edition was the massive expansion of gaming worlds... especially the non-European ones, with OA, Maztica, the Arabian one whose name escapes me, the Mongol horde one. The assorted Handbooks were a mixed bag, but had some good ideas. However, the game went decidedly went downhill in it's last days, with all the assorted guides and whatnot. By the time it ended, I didn't really miss 2E anymore...

Remove ads