D&D 5E Why the claim of combat and class balance between the classes is mainly a forum issue. (In my opinion)

I think "require" here is a verb of taste (eg many people require salt on their egg to make it palatable) rather than of design logic.

i agree

"About" raises difficult issues, but putting the use of that particular word to one side, I would say that if a game has mainly combat rules, but the main focus of activity in the game is something other than combat, then the game has been misdesigned.

I disagree. Not everyone wants rules for things outside combat. For example I really dislike social mechanics. Just a preference. Nothing more. But i could certainly see an rpg being designed that I would love, with a focus on intrigue and politics but not much in the way of politics or social rules (and it might have largely combat mechanics). I don't feel every aspect of play requires mechanical support.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It is probably the preeminent influence on contemporary RPG design.

I wrote a reply to all this pro-Forge "stuff", but nothing could come out that wasn't insulting. So, let me just said I disagree, with just about everything you said, and leave it at that. Fortunately for the industry in general, the Forge has failed, and is now mostly defunct.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
My query with gamist 4e is: where is the challenge? The answer as I see it (from your posts, and from many earlier and lucid posts by @Balesir ): in playing your PC well to overcome the encounters. The point of the transparent PC and encounter build then becomes to make sure the "field of battle" is as fair as possible, so all success or failure is due to the players' skill.

Is this roughly right? If so, I see it as a fairly light gamism, because it's really not very demanding. Provided you're actually into the whole apparatus of mathematical manipulations as a passtime, I think you have to misplay pretty badly to lose.

Oh, I think the default 4e challenge level is, indeed, fairly light. Hence a whole heaping pile of other complaints about 4e. However, as is often pointed out to me, one can just choose to set your default encounter level at Level+2 or Level+4 to crank it up. I can't say I've tried it, but it seems reasonable to me.

As to whether its light or heavy gamism, I don't think that actually depends on the level of challenge at all. Certainly other purely gamist (i.e. non-rpg, if we allow ourselves to extend the idea that far) games vary significantly in their difficulty, I don't see that that changes how heavily gamist they are. The relevant factor is that one approaches a unit of play (probably an encounter or adventure in D&D) as a challenge to the players' skill, not the degree to which that challenge is formidable.

I don't agree with this, though. As you correctly noted, 4e could drop the level bonus to everything and yet play just as tightly as a tactical vehicle.

Yet, even if it did, you could still use the ratings to tell when an encounter would be more difficult or less so. Playing as a tactical vehicle doesn't really tell us much to differentiate between Sim and Nar, I wouldn't think. The idea of playing for/against some kind of challenge rating is very fundamentally a Gamist motivation, AFAICT. The very idea is only marginally (or perhaps tangentially) applicable to Simulationism and almost nonsensical within the context of Narrativism.

The function of level in 4e, then, is to handle the unfolding of story elements: assuming that you use the monster stats as published, you start with kobolds and end with Orcus. Levelling is just not a gamist element at all, but a way of ensuring that the campaign tells the core story of D&D. (This is the link to high concept simulationism; but as you know I think it can also support a type of setting-oriented narrativism.)

If, as you suggest, levelling moves you through the various tiers of monsters (rules as suggested), without changing the relative difficulty of the game, then its no different from Mario or Sonic reaching different tiers of levels or "worlds". Yes, the colors change from green to purple and the monsters in 4e change from kobolds to orcs. However, the overall function of the game remains relatively consistent, with only changes in complexity. This may mean that levels don't reflect absolute player skill as much as they may have been intended to in the more ancient editions, but instead better reflect player perserverance. I'd also note that thanks to the ease of Monster math, there's absolutely no reason for the 4e to need to play as you note. You can keep levelling up those kobolds with the party, or level your Demon Princes down.

Additionally, I was specifically saying that the presence of levels vis-a-vis challenge ratings and the like, are indicative of a gamist slant in a game as opposed to one without them. Consider what must be prepared to service the different play agendas: for Narrativist play, some sort of dramatically rich conflict/theme must be presented...that whole thesis/antithesis thing. Do those come with challenge ratings? Not in any way I'm aware of. For the Simulationist agenda, you need a consistent (and preferably detailed) world with consistent rules which enforce that reality. In spite of there being "grim" worlds and "gonzo" worlds, I don't see how that necessarily lets us assign challenge levels. So what purpose does that leave for CR, EL, etc? AFAICT, simply to set the difficulty for your players, a gamist concern.

As an aside, there is a factor which makes this tougher to suss out. Namely, in D&D the player makes tactical decisions for the character. This kinda conflates whether that difficulty level applies to the characters or the players or both. While gamism would worry about difficulty level for the player, simulationism would recognize it for the character. IME, narrativist games don't really have challenge/difficulty level for either.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Having in game definitions of what those levels mean dont define a playstyle in and of themselves. They just give the DM the tools to do his job.

WRT 4e, I agree. Certainly the presence of such things doesn't require play to be strongly Gamist. However, they permit it in a way that isn't possible in games without such things.

The problem is the treadmill part. Marios style is find newer and newer ways to take something with the same abilities and go over, under, thru or around fancier and fancier walls.
4e still climbs the same staircase D&D always has, the difference is that every 5 floors you get a new tracksuit, climbing pole and pair of shoes because the stairs are taller, steeper and narrower.

Looking at a game like Mario, the jumping distances don't change. Yes, complications are added, and Mario gets various powerups, but those are analogous to the monsters getting fancier powers and the availability to the PCs of a wider array of resources, IMO.

The problem is that the levels mean different thing to different classes at different times so they mean nothing to the system as a whole. Its only when you can make assumptions based on the term that it means something.

Given that even 1e adventures would have ratings on them like "for characters of levels 7 to 10." It would appear that folks have been making assumptions about the term long before class levels were supposedly "balanced" in 3e. However, I will say that I think it would be step backwards to abandon such balance between classes as the benefits far exceed whatever loss some grognards may perceive.

The problem is that "simulation" is the point of every game or narrative to some extent. Its not a point in the GNS triangle, its the area in the center. The third point of the triangle is people acting out a role vs telling a story vs playing a game.

Simulation and Simulationist aren't the same. They aren't unrelated, but they are distinct. Beyond that, I will say that I very much disagree with your first sentence here. I'm not even sure I agree with it in the context of TTRPGs, but that probably gets into the weeds of what we mean when we say "simulation".

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Man, whatever happened to that WotC?

I believe they were purchased by Hasbro and turned into the WotC that we have now.;)

Although, some of that survey information is very insightful, a decent portion is next to useless for designing a game, AFAICT. I mean look at the list of "Core Values":

• Strong Characters and Exciting Story - vaguely helpful
  • Role Playing - no kidding, what exactly is meant by this?
  • Complexity Increases over Time - good tip
  • Requires Strategic Thinking - also good
  • Competitive - against each other? us against the DM?
  • Add on sets/New versions available - seems to balk against other information we got from WotC of the time.
  • Uses imagination - truly uninspiring information
  • Mentally challenging - slightly more inspiring

So, of the 8 core values, 2 of them are concretely useful in designing the next version of the game. I'd say 3 or 4 more are possibly useful, depending on what additional details or clarification were available from the surveys. Honestly though, my role-playing game should include Role-playing, Imagination, and be Mentally challenging? That's like saying chickens have core values which include beaks, feathers, and eggs.

Now, there is some really good stuff in the text at the end of the article. Especially about most groups being composed of players from each of the various quadrants, and which groups tend to spawn designers and DMs.

innerdude

Legend
As far as I can tell, you are using "gamist" to mean "has metagame mechanics". @innerdude was (as far as I can tell) using it in the sense that The Forge does, and I was replying in like terms. Look at my exchange with @Ratskinner a few posts up if you are unclear as to what that means (Ratskinner correctly understood my meaning, although did not agree with my claim).

I was very much using it in a "Forge-ist" sense, @pemerton. But my problem with your response isn't with the response itself, but with your assumption that your accepted play style, i.e., "pemertonian scene framing," is easily grasped by a "typical" D&D play group. From your perspective, 4e isn't gamist---because you very thoroughly push the (what seem obvious to you) "narrative" dials within it to set up your group's preferred fictional positioning.

However, for anyone who doesn't grasp the narrative positioning and scene framing aspects--and everything I've ever heard from you, and @Manbearcat, and other "scene framing" advocates, your playstyle is simply not explicit in the core 4e texts.

And if you do not apply your "scene framing" bent to the 4e core rules, then yes, D&D 4e is hands down, far and away the most gamist version of D&D ever, and second place is not even close (I would probably say 1e is the second most gamist after 4e).

Nearly EVERYTHING in the "prima facie" presentation of the 4e ruleset, ESPECIALLY in the original "Core 3," is all based on scene-level, encounter based challenges, with combat being the primary "frameset," and skill challenges the secondary.

In this case, pemerton, @Mercurius and Marshall McLuhan is right --- the medium of 4e is the message --- the entire presentation of the 4e PHB is about getting each classes' powers in front of the player in the most straightforward, unambiguous way possible.

Why? Because powers are the primary mechanical construct used by players to face encounter challenges----which forcefully communicates to the player, regardless of any surrounding material, that facing and defeating challenges is, in fact, the primary function of the 4e game itself.

That is 100%, unequivocally a gamist mindset. Period. Full Stop.

Now admittedly, 1e has metric TON of gamism built into it as well. But it's not couched or presented in the same straightforwardly gamist manner. The 1e DMG and Monster Manual go beyond strict gamism to present its material. Now, you've repeatedly stated you don't like "Gygaxian Naturalism," which is perfectly valid. However, whether you like it or not, the whole point of "Gygaxian Naturalism" is that it makes an attempt to provide some semi-realistic context for the gamist challenges--which 4e has virtually none of, and in fact makes a POINT to go out of its way to downplay. There's almost zero of this same "naturalist" approach to encounters in 4e. To the player, it's just power after power, page after page, with maximum white space in between, emphasizing just how important the "step on up" is going to be in 4e, and that a character's powers are going to be the primary way those encounters are resolved.

The fact that you have managed to create a quite different experience pushing some other levers that seem obvious to you does not change the "at face value" presentation of the core 4e material. Other than with a few very gifted GMs like yourself, @pemerton, I suspect your narrativist "scene framing" approach is far from common to the 4e crowd at large. Most typical gaming groups are going to play it straight up---"Here's a challenge, use your resources to defeat it."

That is the ultimate expression of gamism. There's literally no other way to interpret it.

If "pemertonian scene framing" for 4e was easy to "grok," and was providing the same kinds of experiences as it is for your group for the D&D fan base at large, then why did the bulk of the fan base--to say nothing of the company that produced it--largely abandon it?

To me this was and is a clear signal from the fan base to the makers of the game---we want less gamism, not more; we want a more "naturalist" approach to encounter design. If the collective "We," meaning the "average" D&D game group, has to indulge Gamist Player Bob in his need to "step on up," there'd better be a very, very good counter-payoff that makes an RPG experience wholly unique as a social and entertainment art form, one that is DIFFERENT from the thousands upon thousands of other gamist, "step on up" avenues Bob has at his disposal.

RPGs only matter as an entertainment form BECAUSE they inherently offer more than "step on up."

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
No argument there. It varies significantly with the game in question, but as you mention they tend to have very detailed and precise point-values and army build rules. The gamism is usually most evident in the army build and scenario design rules. Once play begins, the simulation is in full swing.

The only addition I'd make to that is that some wargames (very much more true on boardgames than mini-games) are specifically meant to recreate a specific battle or part of a battle, in which case scenario design and army selection are out of the players' hands. At least in theory. That's where you get long threads on boards where people are trying to determine which units are involved, what the terrain is really like, and other things. That's somewhat unusual in minis games but not unknown.

Although, some of that survey information is very insightful, a decent portion is next to useless for designing a game, AFAICT. I mean look at the list of "Core Values":

• Strong Characters and Exciting Story - vaguely helpful
  • Role Playing - no kidding, what exactly is meant by this?
  • Complexity Increases over Time - good tip
  • Requires Strategic Thinking - also good
  • Competitive - against each other? us against the DM?
  • Add on sets/New versions available - seems to balk against other information we got from WotC of the time.
  • Uses imagination - truly uninspiring information
  • Mentally challenging - slightly more inspiring

So, of the 8 core values, 2 of them are concretely useful in designing the next version of the game. I'd say 3 or 4 more are possibly useful, depending on what additional details or clarification were available from the surveys. Honestly though, my role-playing game should include Role-playing, Imagination, and be Mentally challenging? That's like saying chickens have core values which include beaks, feathers, and eggs.

I have doubts about some of those.

Complexity increases over Time - why is that necessary or desirable? Why is it good for a character to start off at less than the player wants to be and grow into it, or start off as what the player wants and then add more mechanical complexity to that? If a player is fine with what their character can do, adding more mechanical complexity to increase that is not something that they'd desire. Games can add abilities without increasing complexity to a noticeable degree, especially with systems where the mechanics are relatively unified to start with.

Requires Strategic Thinking. I find that tends to mean a strong player-side character building game - I need Feat X and Skill Y by Level Z, so that I can get into Prestige Class Omega. Or it's connected with the world, and a sandbox style of play where a character/group develop with a long term aim in mind. The second is to my taste but seems to preclude some of what happens in "Adventure Path" campaigns where the GM is often encouraged to keep on the particular route planned by the module writers.

So looking at it even the two tips you consider useful are ones that I'd only consider helpful in designing a particular style of game, one that I don't find particularly desirable for all circumstances.

pemerton

Legend
Honestly though, my role-playing game should include Role-playing, Imagination, and be Mentally challenging? That's like saying chickens have core values which include beaks, feathers, and eggs.
Nice line - sorry I haven't got any XP for you.

But I'm also going to try and use your weight against you in a mighty judo-throw: notice that you didn't confine "mentally challenging" to being a desideratum for gamist play. I think in 4e the central role of carefully-calibrated challenges is similar. It certainly emphasises the situation/encounter as the site of play, and thereby downplays traditional D&D-style exploration. But these encounters don't have to be challenges in the step-on-up sense.

your playstyle is simply not explicit in the core 4e texts.
I think it's rather implicit in the skill challenge rules, and also in James Wyatt's famous "say yes" and "skip to the fun" advice, and a bit more overt in the cut-and-paste by Robin Laws from the HeroQuest revised rulebook into the DMG 2. (The problem with this cut-and-paste isn't that it's unclear about playstyle, but that it doesn't explain how to adapte the HQ techniques to the different mechanical environment of 4e.)

I agree it's not as clear as in rulebooks like Marvel Heroic or Burning Wheel. But nor is the gamist idea - there is nothing analogous to (for instance) Gygax's description of skilled play in the closing pages (before the appendices) of his PHB, and his invocations of skilled play throughout his DMG. So someone who came to 4e with gamist expectations might read it that way, but someone who came with narrativist or high-concept sim expectations I think could equally read it that way. (I think it doesn't have an easy reading for those with process-sim expectations - which turns out to be a good chunk of the 3E player base.)

Nearly EVERYTHING in the "prima facie" presentation of the 4e ruleset, ESPECIALLY in the original "Core 3," is all based on scene-level, encounter based challenges, with combat being the primary "frameset," and skill challenges the secondary.

<snip>

Because powers are the primary mechanical construct used by players to face encounter challenges----which forcefully communicates to the player, regardless of any surrounding material, that facing and defeating challenges is, in fact, the primary function of the 4e game itself.

That is 100%, unequivocally a gamist mindset.

<snip>

Most typical gaming groups are going to play it straight up---"Here's a challenge, use your resources to defeat it."

That is the ultimate expression of gamism. There's literally no other way to interpret it.
The relevant factor is that one approaches a unit of play (probably an encounter or adventure in D&D) as a challenge to the players' skill, not the degree to which that challenge is formidable.

<snip>

The idea of playing for/against some kind of challenge rating is very fundamentally a Gamist motivation, AFAICT. The very idea is only marginally (or perhaps tangentially) applicable to Simulationism and almost nonsensical within the context of Narrativism.
"Here's a challenge, use your resources to defeat it" describes Burning Wheel as much as 4e. But Burning Wheel is an obviously narrativist-oriented game.

This is really the same point as in my response to Ratskinner earlier in this post: all RPGing is, in some sense, a challenge to the players' skill. The hobby provides mental diversion. "Step on up" is about making that challenge to the players' skill the raison d'etre of play.

Here is one of the most succinct descriptions of narrativist play that I know:

One of the players is a gamemaster whose job it is to keep track of the backstory, frame scenes according to dramatic needs (that is, go where the action is) and provoke thematic moments . .

[O]nce the players have established concrete characters, situations and backstory in whatever manner a given game ascribes, the GM starts framing scenes for the player characters. Each scene is an interesting situation in relation to the premise of the setting or the character (or wherever the premise comes from, depends on the game). The GM describes a situation that provokes choices on the part of the character. The player is ready for this, as he knows his character and the character’s needs, so he makes choices on the part of the character. This in turn leads to consequences as determined by the game’s rules. Story is an outcome of the process as choices lead to consequences which lead to further choices, until all outstanding issues have been resolved and the story naturally reaches an end.​

This is a playstyle in which the PCs (and the players in playing them) will confront challenges. We can only tell if the play is gamist rather than narrativist if we know what is the biggest concern for the players: to put it roughly, winning (= gamist); or story consequences carrying thematic weight (= narrativist).

The following text from the 4e PHB (p 258) and DMG (p 103) to my mind suggests that it is an open question which way that game is meant to be played:

Quests connect a series of encounters into a meaningful story. . .

Most adventures are more complex, involving multiple quests. . .

You can also, with your DM’s approval, create a quest for your character. Such a quest can tie into your
character’s background. . .

When you complete quests, you earn rewards, including experience points, treasure, and possibly other kinds of rewards.

You can present quests that conflict with each other, or with the characters’ alignments or goals. The players have the freedom to make choices about which quests to accept, and these can be great opportunities for roleplaying and character development. . .

You should allow and even encourage players to come up with their own quests that are tied to their individual goals or specific circumstances in the adventure. Evaluate the proposed quest and assign it a level. Remember to say yes as often as possible!​

It's true that quests bring rewards (XP and treasure) but all these do - given the 4e "treadmill" - is propel the PCs through the default "story" of D&D (kobolds to Orcus). So this is not inherently gamist.

If, as you suggest, levelling moves you through the various tiers of monsters (rules as suggested), without changing the relative difficulty of the game, then its no different from Mario or Sonic reaching different tiers of levels or "worlds". Yes, the colors change from green to purple and the monsters in 4e change from kobolds to orcs. However, the overall function of the game remains relatively consistent, with only changes in complexity.

<snip>

Consider what must be prepared to service the different play agendas: for Narrativist play, some sort of dramatically rich conflict/theme must be presented...that whole thesis/antithesis thing. Do those come with challenge ratings? Not in any way I'm aware of.
I agree that if the "story of D&D" that unfolds in 4e play as a factor of (i) XP gain and levelling and (ii) the default monsters in the MMs were mere colour, that would be consistent with gamist play and a serious impediment to narrativist play. But is it meant to be mere colour? I personally don't read the books that way - eg The Plane Above has a discussion of "journeying into deep myth" in order to change the mythic history of the setting which wouldn't be out of place in a HeroWars sourcebook. I think the core mythology and cosmology has been deliberately written so that it can be played as more than simply colour - that if the players want to sink their teeth into it, there is something to latch onto.

As for whether thesis/antithesis comes with challenge ratings - it does in HeroQuest revised (or, rather, DCs are set according to a table that correlates the current location within the rising action with the average strength of the PCs), and that's not an obstacle to narrativist play in HQ. In fact it's core to it. The transparency of 4e's challenge maths supports the use of story elements in a way that conduces to the whole thesis/antithesis thing. It's at odds with a certain sort of simulationism, which wants the story to be the outcome of whatever the mechanics dictate rather than making the mechanics the servant of a certain genre and story orientation, but not with narrativism. (Nor with gamism, obviously. I don't dispute the utility of these techniques to what I've called "light" gamism. Just that they imply or entail it.)

in D&D the player makes tactical decisions for the character. This kinda conflates whether that difficulty level applies to the characters or the players or both. While gamism would worry about difficulty level for the player, simulationism would recognize it for the character. IME, narrativist games don't really have challenge/difficulty level for either.
This is an interesting point but I'm not sure where to take it.

HeroQuest revised has difficulty levels, as I mentioned above, but (by D&D standards) no tactics (a character might have a "tactical genius" ability, but using that is - in terms of the mechanics of play - no different from using the "hulking brute" ability). Burning Wheel has little to no difficulty levels (though the Adventure Burner, which cites 4e in its bibliography, pays more attention to the issue, concerned mostly with threats of anti-climax in solo boss confrontations) but does have very heavy player-side tactics. (And I think TRoS is similar.)

I think the extent to which a game requires a high degree of player tactical engagement is mostly orthogonal to its GNS orientation, although I guess the presence of such stuff does open the door to gamist drift in an otherwise non-gamist oriented game.

the presence of such things doesn't require play to be strongly Gamist. However, they permit it in a way that isn't possible in games without such things.
I think, given my comment just above the quote, that I think it is the extent of tactical/mechanical player decision-making that is required that determines how wide the door is open to gamist drift. (Though T&T shows that luck-based rather than skill-based gamism is equally possible, and a game like HeroQuest could be played in this sort of way, even if that's not perhaps it's natural orientation.)

the whole point of "Gygaxian Naturalism" is that it makes an attempt to provide some semi-realistic context for the gamist challenges--which 4e has virtually none of, and in fact makes a POINT to go out of its way to downplay. There's almost zero of this same "naturalist" approach to encounters in 4e.
This I don't agree with. Saying that "powers" aren't naturalistic is no different from saying that initiative roles, 1 minute rounds and hit points aren't naturalistic. "Gygaxian naturalism" is, at least as I understand it, about the gameworld. 4e opts instead for a high mythic gameworld, but within those story parameters - which have their origins in classical myth, not in the 4e designers' heads - the encounters certainly make as much sense as Zagyg's imprisoned demigods on the Nth level of Castle Greyhawk.

I suspect your narrativist "scene framing" approach is far from common to the 4e crowd at large.
I agree. I suspect the default is very close to what seems to me to be the default for 3E - namely, adventure-path play which is a mix of (ocassionally, perhaps often, illusionist) gamism with GM-driven story serving some sort of high concept simulationist goal.

If "pemertonian scene framing" for 4e was easy to "grok," and was providing the same kinds of experiences as it is for your group for the D&D fan base at large, then why did the bulk of the fan base--to say nothing of the company that produced it--largely abandon it?

<snip>

RPGs only matter as an entertainment form BECAUSE they inherently offer more than "step on up."
I think "step on up" - eg Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Ghost Tower of Inverness (and these surely are all borderline cases at best of "Gyaxian naturalism", but I think are close to the core of the classic D&D experience) - has shown it has an attraction that can stand the test of time. I find [MENTION=6688858]Libramarian[/MENTION] the best advocate for this style of RPGing on these boards.

I remember pointing Libramarian to this passage from Ron Edwards, in which Edwards describes his frustration with some D&D-inspired fantasy heartbreakers (a term he coined):

The key assumption throughout all these games is that if a gaming experience is to be intelligent (and all Fantasy Heartbreakers make this claim), then the most players can be relied upon to provide is kind of the "Id" of play - strategizing, killing, and conniving throughout the session. They are the raw energy, the driving "go," and the GM's role is to say, "You just scrap, strive, and kill, and I'll show ya, with this book, how it's all a brilliant evocative fantasy."

It's not Illusionism - there's no illusion at all, just movement across the landscape and the willingness to fight as the baseline player things to do.​

I had seen some D&D players complain that Edwards' characterisation of these games in these terms was dismissive or demeaning, but I find it a fair characterisation of a core RPG gamist experience, and I was pleased that Libramarian agreed. Edwards goes on to claim that "energy and ego . . . are fine things, of course, but it strikes me that playing with them as the sole elements provided by the players is a recipe for Social Contract breakdown." But it doesn't strike me that way.

As to why do this sort of thing via an RPG rather than (say) a boardgame: any number of reasons. Continuity of characters and/or of gameworld. The ability to make intelligent use of fictional positioning, which can only work in a game adjudicated by a human referee (this is certainly key to those classic D&D modules). Even sheer pleasure in the "talk-y" medium of RPGing.

As Edwards says in a different (and later) essay,

Gamist-inclined players tend to be unashamed regarding their preferences. Their role-playing is easily understood, diverse in application, unpretentious, and often perfectly happy with its role relative to the person's social life at large. The Gamists have a lot to teach the rest of the hobby about self-esteem.

Some folks seem to think that Gamist play lacks variety, to which I say, "nonsense." Scrabble is "always the same," and it's fun as hell; simple games do not mean simplistic, shallow, or easy. What matters is whether the strategy of the moment is fun. Well-designed, multiple-edged Step On Up activities with fully-developed competition are endlessly diverting and provide an excellent basis for friendship. Anyone who thinks that such things in role-playing necessarily cannot be fun and will necessarily destroy social interactions is badly mistaken​

I really can't agree with the idea that gamism is any sort of threat to the purity of RPGing.

pemerton

Legend
Fortunately for the industry in general, the Forge has failed
I don't think this is true. Forge games are played. Forge designers are widely cited as influences. (I mentioned Vincent Baker upthread. I could equally mention Luke Crane, who is cited by Jonathan Tweet for "fail forward" principles in both the 20th anniversary edition of Over the Edge, and in 13th Age.) FATE seems to be reaching a crescendo of popularity, which means a crescendo of popularity for indie-style play. None of that strikes me as failure. These are all typical marks of success for a cultural movement.

Patently false. In fact, you concede as much one paragraph later when you say The Forge is generally hostile to AD&D 2nd ed.
As I also said, being generally hostile to AD&D 2nd ed doesn't mean you having anything against D&D as such.

I read plenty of people who are very specifically hostile to 4e, but I don't infer from that that they hate D&D as such. I am rather hostile to AD&D 2nd ed, but strongly deny that I am hostile to D&D as such, given that I've been playing it in one form or other more-or-less continuously since 1982.

Here is a passage from Vinent Baker discussing his experiences with Lamentations of the Flame Princess:

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is made of lies . . .

Fruitful, fruitful lies. . .

Before we started, I had a whole different vision for how the game would go. I expected and wanted something weird-horror-historical, straight up, with the sort of consistent moral underpinning that'd make it horror, you know? . . .

But then we sat down to make characters, and ... I dunno. I remarked to Eppy toward the end of character creation that I hadn't expected all this implicit Vance. . .

I believed - and still believe! - that this expectation of mine was well-warranted by the game's GMing text. . .

If you ask me to point to the particular betrayal in the rules, that I noticed during character creation and pegged as "implicit Vance," I won't be able to do it. I just remember that slow uncomfortable realization that I'd signed up for something I hadn't signed up for. Maybe I'd still get to have my child-eating vampire or whatever, but I sure wouldn't get my precious system-supported, setting-supported moral outrage.

Then I remembered how much I love Vance, of course, and how much I'd enjoy trying to channel him, and just how much fun his ironic, cynical relativism is. So now it's great.

Anyway, I think that's pretty interesting. When I played Moldvay D&D a few years ago, I could just fill in its spaces with what I wanted to do, but somehow the mis-orientation of Lamentation's GMing text to its actual rules left me with only the one fruitful way to go.​

Whether or not one agrees with this take on LotFP, I don't see how anyone could read this as hatred of LotFP, or of D&D (of which LotFP is a version).

Remove ads