Do You Name Your Car?

Do You Name Your Car?

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I don't own a car currently, but I used to own a brown-orange Kia I called variously Kíja (slight pronunciation change so it sounded like a normal Icelandic female name) or The Brown Thunder.

Before that I owned a small Opel I always called Druslan ("drusla" is a term used for piece of junk cars, among other things) because it was one.

As a kid my family had a red Lada with one white door, which was never referred to as anything but Skjalda, which is a common name for a cow with large spots.

Later we had a Dodge Neon which we called The Yankee, because it was so overwhelmingly american compared to the Lada.

And even later we got a large Opel station wagon which we called Drekinn because driving it felt like you were driving a tank (Drekinn strictly means "the dragon", but tanks are called skriðdreki or "crawling dragon" in Icelandic).

I have yet to meet a person with the same sort of emotional attachment to a PC, toaster, washing machine or similar that other people I know have to their cars.

Toaster and washing machines, no. PCs? Hell yeah, people do. And their phones too.

My iPhone is named DARKSEID (although I tend to just refer to it as "my phone" more often than not) and my iPad is GALACTUS (and I do refer to it as such). My mini is The Machine. My wife refers to her computer as Kitty, but never named her phone.

Then why not earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, wild fires or other disastrous natural events?.

We name earthquakes. Not with people names, granted, but names nonetheless. For some reason we don't do this with eruptions or avalanches, though. *shrug*

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
. . . . . ð . . . . . .edit . . . . . .
Toaster and washing machines, no. PCs? Hell yeah, people do. And their phones too.
Viking Bastard, is there an easy way to describe the pronunciation of the aphetic character above?

I call my computer names, but nothing that is grandma friendly, therefore not typeable on this forum.
To every else, I must admitt, my first car was a 70 ford LTD, red, named Snuffaluppagus. the next car was an 80 Chevy Malibu called the bat mobile.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
No. My car is a work-horse, not my identity or phallic crutch.
I use it to get places.

Learned to drive in 1971 cadillac. Was an armored tank. One time a car crashed into the back of us at a stop light. Other car's entire front block was caved in. We lost a paint chip. (really, less than 1/2 square inch)
First car was Ford LTD lemon
replaced with t-bird
replaced with pontiac bonniville.
replaced with current grand prix

Now, if we're talking pie, Lemon Merrainge, with base triple the amount of lemon.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip >
First car was Ford LTD lemon
replaced with t-bird
replaced with pontiac bonniville.
replaced with current grand prix

They don't make 'em like that any more these days: the last T-bird was the 2005 model year, and Pontiac (the car, not the town) is gone entirely.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Maybe I'll name my car Goth-Whore. That actually does have a pretty cool ring to it.

Yeah, I think if I named my vehicles Goth Whore would be at the top of the list.

Hmm ... maybe we should come up with a car naming book. I mean, those baby name books are big business. We'll have fun with it, though, and use a lot of stuff like Goth Whore and we'll be sure to throw in the odd Ted and Franklin and Judy, too.

Remove ads