Work dress codes

Gilladian

Adventurer
I work in a public library at the reference desk. I think the dress code is technically "business casual" but mostly we wear slacks and a nice t-shirt, often with jacket or sweater over it (damned freezing A/C), or sometimes I'll wear a pantsuit. I have worn everything from nice jeans (on a friday) to a chinese silk jacket to a 3-piece suit, and none of them really raised an eyebrow, though the chinese jacket drew a lot of comments.

One day one of my co-workers wore her flip-flops because she forgot to change them after taking her dog for its morning walk... she realized it halfway through the day and went home to change. But our boss just laughed when she noticed.

The dress code for the non-professional staff is basically "clean jeans or slacks, no shorts, t-shirts may not have slogans on them, shoes must have toes." We've had a few part timers or temp staff who seemed not to understand that they were not dressing for a day at the pool.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Ours is 'business casual'; dress or polo or collared shirt, slacks, belt, good shoes. Fridays is jeans and sneakers if you wish. There's some stuff in there about hair length on men, piercings, visible tattoos, earrings for men and some other stuff but since I have none of that, I've never looked at it closely.

Previous jobs have been different: Dress shirt and tie (retail sales, and computer analyst)(Management positions mandated full suit day in and out)
At least one job I've had listed various scent no-no's for body care products and perfumes, such as no strong flowery odors, no vanilla, etc etc.

RE: Shaving off beards:
What vile business required such a terrible act?!?!

You want an onerous dress code? Disney. Up until very recently, no male could wear any facial hair, there's very specific requirements on hair length and styles for both sexes, etc etc.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
I work in a public library [...]
A few years back I worked as a supervisor for the circulation desk of my university's library. I think the only time I had an issue with one of the student worker's outfit was when there was a swear on it. The t-shirt was funny, but I still had to ask him not to wear it again. He laughed. And then the next day when we were out doing our SCA heavy armor practice he (literally) knocked me off my feet with his (padded) hammer. I like to think it wasn't personal.

But at that job the student workers were pretty much "no poolwear, don't be an idiot". The staff were a bit stricter but that was also the job I started wearing my kilt to at the end.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Eh. I've already warned the bosses that if they make me a manager or supervisor then I'll start wearing the kilt to work. So I figure it's just a matter of time.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
A Kilt. I can just see me operating a back hoe or ditch witch or crawling through an attic or high on a ladder . . .in a kilt. *shakes head*

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases