Work dress codes

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well since I'm the boss, and only ever have temporary employees, but usually no employees, there really isn't a dress code per se. In summer I wear shorts and T-shirt, and flip-flops. In cooler months I dress 'normal' - jeans, varying kinds of shirts, sweat shirts and basketball shoes. In winter its boots and long underwear, but otherwise 'normal'.

Since I do have walk-in customers anything from engineers, bankers, lawyers, and Moms, I don't wear any negative slogan graphics on t-shirts or whatever. I never wear a tie, or at least haven't in 20 years.

I run a graphic design/digital print studio, but since I serve a small community (18,000 population) and surrounding areas, I don't really have to look professional - I just am.

Janx

Hero
I spent 13 years at a computer corporation. dress was casual. i wore jeans, shorts, snadals, whatever

Obviously, we dressed up if working trade shows or meeting clients.

But otherwise, pretty much whatever as long as it wasn't disheveled or worn out

Nowadays, I work from home. So it's star trek PJs until lunch time.

I dress up when I go meet clients. Pretty much common sense.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
As my job is to continue with my medical recovery, my dress code is almost "whatever I want" (usually what the weather calls for), however if I am doing volonteer work at the VA, it is collared shirt and slacks and sunday being church, well, you know. Its gunna be Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts and sandals, right?!

bone_naga

Explorer
Do you guys think that having a strict dress code at work adds anything to the job?
For sitting around in the office and interacting solely with internal personnel? No.

For interacting with external individuals/organizations? Yes.

For anything outdoors? No, it tends to be counterproductive. When it's pouring but rain gear isn't allowed, someone needs to be slapped.

For safety reasons? In theory yes, but I've found that in practice it gets taken to ridiculous levels, sometimes to the point of actually making people less safe, because no one wants to be the one that scaled back the safety requirements.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
My understanding is that neck ties go back to roman belief that protecting the throat was important, but that could just be a fable or myth manufactured out of whole cloth by the fashion industry.

Crothian

First Post
I wear a suit and tie to work. Our dress code doesn't require the suit jacket but it looks more professional that way. What I find interesting is the dress code is much different for women. Women at my office wear much more casual outfits then the men. We have had people comment on it as the men are all in suits and then some of the women are basically wearing sweatpants and a colorful shirt.

I also find it interesting how different people treat me when I wear my suit in public. Even at the grocery store I get a different reaction from the people working there usually a better one. They seem more willing to help and are more proactive about seeing if I need anything. Same at restaurants.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My understanding is that neck ties go back to roman belief that protecting the throat was important, but that could just be a fable or myth manufactured out of whole cloth by the fashion industry.

Roman soldiers did have neckwear, but it was for denoting units or other groupings, not as armor.

Remove ads