Work dress codes

Janx

Hero
Roman soldiers did have neckwear, but it was for denoting units or other groupings, not as armor.

I know you know everything, and I only know half of everything of the half of everything you know that I think I know.

But how do you just happen know that bit of trivia?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know you know everything, and I only know half of everything of the half of everything you know that I think I know.

But how do you just happen know that bit of trivia?

I know some folks who do Roman historical re-enactments.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Roman soldiers did have neckwear, but it was for denoting units or other groupings, not as armor.

"How can you tell them apart? They all look so alike, those Roman legionnaires."

"See their colorful neckwear?"

"Yes, now that you mention."

"Well, those with the red about their necks are the Sanguine Legion."

"Ah, and those donning blue?"

"Claudus Domare."

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'm currently the head concierge at a upper-tier hotel, so I have to be pretty smartly dressed. I know the standard in Europe for my position is a three-piece suit with a tie, but filtered through the local informalness it's "be pretty smartly dressed". Generally means a shirt and nice shoes, often a suit (but never a tie), or at least a dress-jacket/blazer or a vest.

I've never had a dress code like this before. My job at the National Library was the closest and that was "be clean and look reasonably respectable (jeans and t-shirts are fine, as long as they're whole)".

I don't really mind it, although it adds some extra stress to having work-ready clothes in the morning. But it also forces me to keep my wardrobe sharp, which I find beneficial as I have a tendency to under-prioritize clothes-buying in general (despite having a taste for nice clothes, creating what my wife mockingly calls "the fancy hobo" effect).

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
technically the dress code at my work is on the nice side of buisness casual, slacks and button-ups or collared shirts, no logos or slogans that aren't associated with work, so-on.

However the enforcement of dress codes (and importance of dress in general) seems to (for my industry, anyway) seem to relate with distance to DC. So what we actually wear are jeans for most everyone (some of the upper management I deal with wear slacks) and polos, though I've seen my boss's boss regularly wear t-shirts on non-Fridays.

Anytime someone travels back east though you gotta pack your clothes to the audience. Going to PAX? Probalby just need slacks, blazer and nice shirt. Going to DC? Pack the 3-piece.

As for how important it is... eh. We mix with military a lot. Currently sharing my cube farm (8 cubes in the room) with an airman. We also have a lot of retired military. And the younger ones haven't shaken the military-dress habit yet. One of the other guys in my cube farm, I kid you not, uses a brush and occasionally spot wax on his shoes multiple times a day. Point being that when an admiral walks in (and I have had days where an admiral just popped by) you don't want to be caught looking like a dumb civvie.

But most days I go around in jeans, a nice shirt (I like nice shirts) and my vibram five-fingers. And occasionally a super-hero vest. It's not technically per dress code, but few people in my building stick to the technical dress code.

Remove ads