OOC - From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
Re: Elves. I can work with that background. It will require a bit of tinkering with the story I had in mind, maybe, but not so much that I can't work with it.

Re: Gear. For gear we get the choices from our class and that's it, correct? Is there a bonus (like rations) from somewhere that I don't know about? I was looking at Needles and Slice as a guideline to working on my own characters and they both (but particularly Needles) seem to have a fair bit more gear than my two (Thief has three selections plus a piece of class gear; Druid has three selections plus a baked in lack of need for rations). Just curious because I suspect I'm missing something.

Still working on characters but it's going surprisingly slow. :(

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I think the base DW set-up is meant to throw starting characters right into the heart of a one-day adventure or the like? So no need for extensive supplies, but plenty of opportunities for characters with lucky/thoughtful gear choice to shine?

And yeah, the Changeling's playbook's quite generous for gear compared to the others I've looked at (that 100 coins in particular). Some sort of balancing feature, I'm thinking...? (Although, if you have no place to spend it until AFTER you've beaten up and overcome the whatevers of that first adventuring day, then coinage becomes much less of a priority/advantageous choice/good thing to have on your person...)

So short answer: No, I don't think you missed anything GE.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[section]
Trickle
Human Thief (level 1; 0 xp)
Shifty Eyes, Cropped Hair, Fancy Clothes, Lithe Body

STR 9 DEX 16 (+2) CON 12 INT 15 (+1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 18 Current hp: 18

Alignment: Neutral: Avoid detection or infiltrate a location.

Gear: (Load 6/9) – Base Dmg: d8
Dagger (hand, 1 wt.) and Short sword (close, 1 wt.)
Ragged bow (near, 2 wt.) and bundle of arrows (3 ammo, 1 wt.)
Adventuring gear (1 wt.)
Bloodweed poison (touch, 3 uses): target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)
10+: hold 3
7-9: hold 1
Spend hold as you walk through area to ask questions:
  • Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
  • What does the trap do when activated?
  • What else is hidden here?
Tricks of the Trade: When you pick locks or disable traps, roll+Dex
10+: you do it, no problem
7-9: you do it, but GM offers two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
10+: choose two
7-9: choose one
  • You don’t get into melee with them
  • You deal your damage +1d6
  • You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
  • Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Debts]
I stole something from…
…has my back when something goes wrong.
…knows incriminating details about me.
…and I have a con running.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​
[/section]

[section]
Khirynnax Skinchanger, AKA Khir
Elven Druid (level 1; 0 xp)
Wild Eyes, Messy Hair, Practical Leathers

STR 15 (+1) DEX 12 CON 13 (+1) INT 9 WIS 16 (+2) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 19 Current hp: 19

Alignment: Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

Gear: (Load 3/7) – Base Dmg: d6
Token of the Mire: the Copper Coil, age-blackened armband in shape of snake
Hide armor (1 armor, 1 wt.)
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 wt.)
Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 wt.)

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Shapeshifter: When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+WIS.
10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Bonds and Debts]
…smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows…
I have showed…a secret rite of the land.
…has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​
[/section]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Thanks, Binder Fred. I wasn't sure if there was a starter pack sort of thing I overlooked. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Binder Fred

Love the layout, GE, so I stole it. :devil:

Idea for Doghead: we could maybe take our service/debt to the Witching Troll as an extra Bond?

EDIT= So what's the story behind your Thief's handle, GlassEye?

[section]
Needles AKA Brier, AKA Notch
Splinterwaif Changeling (level 1; 0 xp of 8)
Green cloak, face in shadow, beaky nose, gloved hands, whispery voice

STR 8 (-1) DEX 16 (+2) CON 12
INT 9 WIS 15 (+1) CHA 13 (+1)
Damage: D6 Armor: 1 (Leathers)
Max. hp: 19 Current hp: 19

Alignment: Chaotic: Use your fay magics to trick someone.

Gear: (Load 6/6)
Trickster’s cloak (worn, +1 to all Glamorous Deceit rolls, 1 weight)
Leather armor (1 armor, worn, 1 weight)
Fay bow (near, far, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Elven arrows (ammo, 7 uses, 2 weight)​
6 throwing daggers (thrown, near, 0 weight)
1 Healing potion (10 HP or one debility, 0 weight)
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
100 coins (1 weight) + 1 white stone from the Witching Troll

[sblock=Changeling Moves]Splinterwaif half-blood: Splintery wooden 'hairs' poke through your clothing, allowing you to cling to surfaces.

Glamourous Deceit: (CHA +1 from Trickster's cloak item)
Your nature as a half-fay mixed with human blood has provided you with fantastical powers of deceit and change. You disguise yourself from the view or mortals by hiding in plain sight. Roll +CHA.
  • On a 10+, your appearance and clothing magically change to match any humanoid appearance with any mundane clothing without raising the slightest suspicion.
  • On a 7-9, choose 1:
    • Your glamorous transformation goes awry and you turn into a humanoid appearance of the GM’s choice.
    • You become stuck in this altered appearance till you have an extended rest.
    • You draw unwanted gazes at you the moment of your transformation.
This effect ends when you will it or cast a Fable.

Fables: (WIS)
When you have an extended rest of an hour or so, roll 1d4+1 and learn that many Fables from the list below, forgetting any previous Fables you had before resting. These captivating songs and stories of the fay world are so powerful that they physically shape the mortal world to fit the tale being told.
When you wish to tell a Fable, roll +WIS:
  • On a 10+, the story being told takes effect and molds the world around you.
  • On a 7-9, the fable is still cast but choose 1:
    • The Fable is too enrapturing for you to resist hearing it once. The next time you cast a Fable, it must be the same Fable as the one you just cast, unless you rest.
    • The story being told has a predictable outcome; both you and reality have become bored with it. You cannot use that Fable again until you have an extended rest.
    • The telling of such an epic tale tires you and you get -1 to any other Fables tests until you Make Camp.
    • You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Backgrounds]Slice still hasn’t caught on to my shenanigans yet.
I owe Trickle a favor for pulling me out of that jam that time.
Next time I sneak off, I am therefore going to bring Trickle along.
Nothing quite kills the mood like _________________’s presence though.

Bastard child of the Fae court, Brier grew up a reviled outcast of human society, fed mystical, magical stories of the fae by his adopted grandfather and fellow outcast. For him the Fae court is a dreamed-of paradise, wanting to return yet doomed to crushing disappointment -- being as he is not full fae, and unseelie besides! Seeks brothers to his blood, knowledge of what he truly is and, most of all, ways to gate to that other world!

Needles is young, but he grows fast. When Trickle and Slice fished him out of the outcast slums two years ago (and started using/training him for a particularly juicy climbing&infiltration gig), he looked like he was a scrawny ten (that's WHY they choose him; well that and his freaky-good climbing abilities). Now, almost two years later, he's got the lean and lanky physique of a fifteen/sixteen year old... And who knows if or when the process will ever stop or slow down? Not him, that's for sure. For all he knows, in less than 10 years he could be dead of old age![/sblock][sblock=List of Fables]

Fascinate (Ongoing)
An amount of listeners equal to your level +1 stop what they are doing and listen to your story. They will continue to listen until you end the Fable or they are physically touched. While this fable is ongoing, you take -1 to cast a fable.

Slow
A number of listeners up to your level become slow and unable to move or defend themselves, providing an opening to anyone who can attack them.

Paralyze/Distract
A number of listeners up to your level miss their next opportunity to attack.

Terrorize
All animals and a number of listeners up to your level flee from you with cries of terror.

Mute (Ongoing)
For as long as the Fable is ongoing, a number of people up to your level cannot speak or cast spells. While this fable is ongoing, you take -2 to cast a fable.

Zizany
A number of listeners up to your level immediately lose all composure and attack the closest person to them.

Sicken
A number of listeners up to your level take 1d4 damage that ignores armor, get -1 armor for the rest of the fight and cannot claim attacks when you make an opening for them.

Straight damage
You deal 1d6 damage + your level to a single target. If you are physically playing a stringed instrument while casting this spell, you add an additional point of damage to the roll.

re-open wounds
Anyone around you who has taken damage today immediately takes damage equal to your level that ignore armor.

Area damage
A number of listeners up to your level take damage equal to your level that ignores armor.

Charm
Give a token of peace and kindness to a person by offering them a valuable item. Should they accept it, they will automatically befriend you and treasure the pleasant bond they have formed with you. As your friend they are not hostile and offer any simple help they can, without becoming suicidal or ignoring common sense. This effect will last until you do something to harm them, otherwise the friendship takes a natural course from here on out.

Cooperative storytelling
A single person of your choice starts spouting truthful answers to a number of questions up to your level.

Bless (Ongoing)
You and your allies are blessed with a +1 ongoing to all rolls as long as you are in the same area and choose to continue this fable. While this fable is ongoing you take -1 to cast a fable.

Heal
Heals an ally within earshot of 1d4 damage+your level.

Agility buff (Ongoing)
You or a companion gain +2 ongoing to any +DEX rolls. If you are level 6 or higher, this becomes a +3 ongoing. While this fable is ongoing, you take -2 to cast a fable.

Polymorph object (Ongoing)
Turn a number of mundane objects up to your level into other mundane objects for as long as you will it. While this fable is ongoing, you take -1 to cast a fable.

Decay object
A number of mundane objects up to your level that you can see begin to rapidly corrode and by the end of your dramatic story, are destroyed.

Make heavy
The target can’t use a number of weapons and/or armor it has on its person up to your level until you leave the area.

Copy magic
This Fable allows you to cast the last spell you saw without complication, copying its effects and allowing you to choose its target.​

[/sblock]​
[/section]

[section]
Slice
Human Fighter (level 1; 0 xp of 8)
Hard eyes, boxer's face, massive body, giant hand-and-a-half sword, golden signet ring

STR 15 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) CON 16 (+2)
INT 12 WIS 13 (+1) CHA 9
Damage: D10 Armor: 3 (Scale armor + Shield)
Max. hp: 26 Current hp: 26

Alignment: Neutral: Defeat a worthy opponent.

Gear: (Load 9/14)
Blood-stained hand-and-a-half sword (Close, Messy, Forceful, Piercing 2, 2 weight)
Scale armor (2 armor, Clumsy, 3 weight)
Heater shield (+1 armor, 2 weight)
Flashy signet ring worth 50 coins -- from Needles' sheet
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight) -- from Needles' sheet
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
2 Healing potions (0 weight)
Flask of the hard stuff
1 white stone from the Witching Troll

[sblock=Fighter Moves]Human: Once per battle you may reroll a single damage roll, yours or someone else’s.

Bend bars, lift gates: (Str)
When you use pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle, roll+Str.
  • On a 10+, choose 3.
  • On a 7-9 choose 2.
    • It doesn’t take a very long time
    • Nothing of value is damaged
    • It doesn’t make an inordinate amount of noise
    • You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort.
Armored: You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

Signature weapon: This is your weapon. There are many like it, but this one is yours. Your weapon is your best friend. It is your life. You master it as you master your life. Your weapon, without you, is useless. Without your weapon, you are useless. You must wield your weapon true.
  • Blood-stained sword, Close, Huge (Messy and Forceful), Sharp (+2 Piercing), 2 weight.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Backgrounds]I owe Khirynnax my life, whether I admit it or not.
I won't let Trickle die, he is part of my pack now.
I worry about Needles' ability to survive in the dungeon though.
Needles has foolish hopes, but I will make him hard like me.

Slice, giant armored man with a titanic sword of steel and sweat, bearer of a flashy golden signet ring that fit over the steel-plated fingers of his right hand, bitter remains of his glorious past. Only surviving member (to his knowledge) of a purged noble house, excised from history when he was young for worshipping foul slithering things from beyond -- or so their accusers said! Seeks vengeance, power over all men, and a truth he is probably not equipped to deal with.[/sblock]​
[/section]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Glad you like the format, BF. I learned/stole the bulletin board tricks from Satin Knights.

Trickle's name was inspired by the full image, sblocked below, that I took the head shot from and is a reference to his poisoning abilities. :devil: He doesn't have armor or a mandolin but trickling the poison into the cup resonated with me (and actually persuaded me to go with human instead of halfling just so I could use the pic).

I can't seem to find how armor works (damage resistance?). Could someone explain the quick version of how it works?

And, I hope to have my druid up soon.

[sblock=Trickle fullsize]
ypyg.jpg
[/sblock]

Binder Fred

Nice back story, GE. Talk about hiding dangerous meanings in plain sight!

Re DW armor, it's a straight soak mechanics: "minus your armor rating" to damage every time you take damage that doesn't bypass armor. It's covered under "Damage" on p.23.

Happy Easter everybody.

Leif

Adventurer
SRD?

Guys? Is there a Dungeon World SRD or anything similar available online? I have absolutely no idea what the rules for this game are.

Ok, so never mind! Turns out that following the unintended hot link in this post took me right to said srd. Now I just need to read it....

And I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now that I have access to the rules! :)

[sblock=my initial, but subject to change, character ideas]
1. -- a Half-Elven Mage, or Magic-User/Thief (if such exists) that is a cousin (on the Elf/Fey side, of course) of Needles/Brier/Notch. He's basically okay, except that the whole concepts of personal property and boundaries are somewhat beyond his comfortable grasp. I think it's safe to assume that the other party members keep him knocked around enough that he knows not to screw with their stuff.

2. -- a Human Cleric of Heimdall or Odin or Thor. (Wouldn't it be a kick in the head if the party is working for a Troll?!) Ix-nay on the 'missionary-to-the-non-humans' stuff. Just a regular old ale-guzzling, troll-smiting viking. (If he is forced to work for a troll, he'll probably have to compulsively bathe three or four times each day, trying to wash the stink off.)

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?354167-From-the-Outside/page2#ixzz2zUGCfknP
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Added Khirynnax the Skinchanger to my post above with Trickle.

How're things coming with you, [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] ?

Binder Fred

Hey guys. How about something like this for why most of us now work for the Witching Troll?

• We were a bunch of lawless, hardened rogues (everybody so far except Khirynnax?)
  • A B&E raid on a noble's little summer estate turned bad and we ran
  • We would have been wiped out just then if not for the help of a Witching Troll agent who called us out from under an avalanche of blades and torches and into a secret, magical way to the Monster Kingdom
  • Not only do we now owe the Troll for our lives, for which we swore loyalty to him, but we ate and drank their fey-food while over there, meaning (they said) that we now have to return at set intervals or die/age/crumble to dust/sicken/turn mad, DM chooses one of the above or makes up one of his own.
  • Not satisfied with just that, the Troll also set one of his pets in the group too, to watch us and report no doubt (that would be Khirynnax ;)).

EDIT= OR, instead of the fourth one it could be "Not only do we now owe the Troll for our lives, for which we swore loyalty to him, but he whispered fanstastical promises in the ears of each of us in turn, promises which would surely come true if a few, trivial events happened to fall his way..." ?

Last edited:

Remove ads