OOC - From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
I prefer service/debt to the Witching Troll over the Inverse world idea. I like the potential story ideas of the Witching Troll and the bonds held over the characters more than the others (even though I don't know who/what the WT is).

As for characters, idea one is, as mentioned previously, an elven druid. Sort of the inverse of Binder Fred's idea: he's been on the inside, dealt with the courtly politics and glamour and prefers the wild, pulse of life in the wilderness. The second, some sort of fast-talker. Probably a bard.

doghead

thotd
I have so been itching to have a troll as a major character. Just saying.

Some thoughts on elves, in no particular order. Its just an idea at the moment, but it goes some what to explaining a race that is not, mechanically, much different from humans. It also creates an more interesting and complex relationship between the elves and the monster kingdom. Feel free to comment, elaborate, done flamethrower ...

Elves, DnD elves and DW elves by association), don't really feel sufficiently magical to be truly Fae. They are a little to mundane. Of course elves are, by and large, members of the monster kingdom. They have permeated every level of the kingdom and it society. But they are not of the kingdom. The origins of the elves are lost in time. Or if not lost, closely held by those that know. Some say they come from human stock. They are the descendants of those taken at the dawn of man (replaced by changlings) who over the centuries have become kind-of-magical. Other say they are the descendant from the changlings, raised by man, but who returned. And some, that they are born of mud, blood, magic and the corpses of the dead. They are, in a way, Half-Fae. And in that lies the secret of their race. Like the Janissaries, Elves are the result of a need for someone to do the work that someone else didn't want to do. Namely, dealing with the mundane world of the humans.

And now I really have to go. Got to be back at work in eight hours.

thotd

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Classes

Doghead & Leif: Apparently DW does half-races by having the second, non-dominant race express itself through an advanced move of some kind. See for example the Bard's and Ranger's "Half-Elven" advanced moves.

GlassEye: How about a Thief for your second char? As we seem to be lacking somewhat in the stealth/lock/trap category so far. Also, don't know if I mentioned it but the Changeling is fairly bard-y in his selection of spells/fables. I've done him up in full below, so you can look the Fables over if you want to get a taste for what they're like: mostly debuffs, buffs and a few inanimate-affecting spells. (Fables are all the way at the bottom).

Leif: Note that Needles is half human, half Splinterwaif (i.e. half THIS, or variations thereof). So... Could he be his cousin on the human side maybe? Or did you mean "cousin" in the "all fae/all unseelie fae are cousins" sense?

For your Mage, I'd recommend looking here as there's some really cool Playbooks in there. Including a mage that litteraly takes on the physical characteristics of a red dragon, an ice-producing Winter Mage with Freeze Solid and snow mechanics, an illusion mage heavy on the deceit side of things (The Masked Mage) and a wormhole/gravity-oriented "Star Mage" (nothing to do with Astrology here!).

There's also the aformentionned Priest playbook possibility, which I rather like.

Anyways, for your review, Doghead:

[sblock=Needles character sheet]Name: Needles (AKA Brier, AKA Notch)
Class: Changeling
Level: 1 (0 XP of 8 for L2)

Forest green cloak
Face in deep shadow
Beaky nose
Gloved hands
Tight leather armor

STR 8 -1
DEX 16 +2
CON 12
INT 9
WIS 15 +1
CHA 13 +1

DAMAGE D6
ARMOR 1 (Leathers)
HP 19
PREPARATION 0

Alignment: Chaotic (Use your fay magics to trick someone).
Fay Parentage: Splinterling/Spinterwaif (Splintery wooden 'hairs' poke through your clothing, allowing you to cling to surfaces).

BONDS
____________ still hasn’t caught onto my shenanigans yet.
I owe____________ a favor, whether I like it or not.
Nothing quite kills the mood like____________’s presence.
Next time I sneak off, I am going to bring ____________ along.

KNOWN MOVES

GLAMOROUS DECEIT(CHA +1 from Trickster's cloak item)
Your nature as a half-fay mixed with human blood has provided you with fantastical powers of deceit and change. You disguise yourself from the view or mortals by hiding in plain sight. Roll +CHA.
*On a 10+, your appearance and clothing magically change to match any humanoid appearance with any mundane clothing without raising the slightest suspicion.
*On a 7-9, choose 1:
. Your glamorous transformation goes awry and you turn into a humanoid appearance of the GM’s choice.
. You become stuck in this altered appearance till you have an extended rest.
. You draw unwanted gazes at you the moment of your transformation.
This effect ends when you will it or cast a Fable.

FABLES (WIS)
When you have an extended rest of an hour or so, roll 1d4+1 and learn that many Fables from the list below, forgetting any previous Fables you had before resting. These captivating songs and stories of the fay world are so powerful that they physically shape the mortal world to fit the tale being told.
When you wish to tell a Fable, roll +WIS:
*On a 10+, the story being told takes effect and molds the world around you.
*On a 7-9, the fable is cast but choose 1:
. The Fable is too enrapturing for you to resist hearing it once. The next time you cast a Fable, it must be the same Fable as the one you just cast, unless you rest.
. The story being told has a predictable outcome; both you and reality have become bored with it. You cannot use that Fable again until you have an extended rest.
. The telling of such an epic tale tires you and you get -1 to any other Fables tests until you Make Camp.
. You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot.

EQUIPEMENT (Load = 6 out of 6)
Trickster’s cloak (worn, +1 to all Glamorous Deceit rolls, 1 weight)
Leather armor (1 armor, worn, 1 weight)
Fay bow (near, far, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Elven arrows (ammo, 7 uses, 2 weight)
6 throwing daggers (thrown, near, 0 weight)
1 Healing potion (10 HP or one debility, 0 weight)
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
100 coins (1 weight)

.Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight) and a flashy ring worth 50 coins
> Given to Slice.

LIST OF FABLES

. FASCINATE(On): An amount of listeners equal to your level +1 stop what they are doing and listen to your story. They will continue to listen until you end the Fable or they are physically touched. While this fable is ongoing, you take -1 to cast a fable.
. SLOW: A number of listeners up to your level become slow and unable to move or defend themselves, providing an opening to anyone who can attack them.
. PARALYZE/DISTRACT: A number of listeners up to your level miss their next opportunity to attack.
. TERRORIZE: All animals and a number of listeners up to your level flee from you with cries of terror.
. MUTE(On): For as long as the Fable is ongoing, a number of people up to your level cannot speak or cast spells. While this fable is ongoing, you take -2 to cast a fable.
. ZIZANY: A number of listeners up to your level immediately lose all composure and attack the closest person to them.
. SICKEN: A number of listeners up to your level take 1d4 damage that ignores armor, get -1 armor for the rest of the fight and cannot claim attacks when you make an opening for them.
. STRAIGHT DAMAGE: You deal 1d6 damage + your level to a single target. If you are physically playing a stringed instrument while casting this spell, you add an additional point of damage to the roll.
. REOPEN WOUNDS: Anyone around you who has taken damage today immediately takes damage equal to your level that ignore armor.
. AREA DAMAGE: A number of listeners up to your level take damage equal to your level that ignores armor.

. CHARM: Give a token of peace and kindness to a person by offering them a valuable item. Should they accept it, they will automatically befriend you and treasure the pleasant bond they have formed with you. As your friend they are not hostile and offer any simple help they can, without becoming suicidal or ignoring common sense. This effect will last until you do something to harm them, otherwise the friendship takes a natural course from here on out.
. COOPERATIVE STORYTELLING: A single person of your choice starts spouting truthful answers to a number of questions up to your level.

. BLESS(On): You and your allies are blessed with a +1 ongoing to all rolls as long as you are in the same area and choose to continue this fable. While this fable is ongoing you take -1 to cast a fable.
. HEAL: Heals an ally within earshot of 1d4 damage+your level.
. AGILITY BUFF(On): You or a companion gain +2 ongoing to any +DEX rolls. If you are level 6 or higher, this becomes a +3 ongoing. While this fable is ongoing, you take -2 to cast a fable.

. POLYMORPH OBJECT(On): Turn a number of mundane objects up to your level into other mundane objects for as long as you will it. While this fable is ongoing, you take -1 to cast a fable.
. DECAY OBJECT: A number of mundane objects up to your level that you can see begin to rapidly corrode and by the end of your dramatic story, are destroyed.
. MAKE HEAVY: The target can’t use a number of weapons and/or armor it has on its person up to your level until you leave the area.

. COPY MAGIC: This Fable allows you to cast the last spell you saw without complication, copying its effects and allowing you to choose its target.[/sblock][sblock=Slice character sheet]Name: Slice
Class: Fighter
Level: 1 (0 XP of 8 for L2)

Hard eyes
Scarred skin
Battered helm
Massive armored body
Giant 2-handed sword
Golden signet ring worn over metal gauntlets

STR 15 +1
DEX 8 -1
CON 16 +2
INT 12
WIS 13 +1
CHA 9

DAMAGE D10
ARMOR 3 (Scale armor + Shield)
HP 26
PREPARATION 0

Alignment: Neutral (Defeat a worthy opponent).
Race: Human (Once per battle you may reroll a single damage roll, yours or someone else’s)

BONDS
_______________ owes me their life, whether they admit it or not.
I have sworn to protect _______________.
I worry about the ability of _______________ to survive in the dungeon.
_______________ is soft, but I will make them hard like me.

KNOWN MOVES

BEND BARS, LIFT GATES (Str)
When you use pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle, roll+Str. ?On a 10+, choose 3. ?On a 7-9 choose 2.
• It doesn’t take a very long time
• Nothing of value is damaged
• It doesn’t make an inordinate amount of noise
• You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort

ARMORED
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

SIGNATURE WEAPON
This is your weapon. There are many like it, but this one is yours. Your weapon is your best friend. It is your life. You master it as you master your life. Your weapon, without you, is useless. Without your weapon, you are useless. You must wield your weapon true.
Blood-stained sword, Close, Huge (Messy and Forceful), Sharp (+2 Piercing), 2 weight.

EQUIPEMENT (Load = 9 out of 14)
Blood-stained sword (Close, Messy, Forceful, Piercing 2, 2 weight)
Scale armor (2 armor, Clumsy, 3 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 2 weight)
Flashy signet ring worth 50 coins -- from Needles' sheet
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight) -- from Needles' sheet
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
2 Healing potions (0 weight)[/sblock][sblock=Construction notes]- I transferred one of Needles gear choices over to Slice (as a gift, as it were). Specifically, "Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight) and a flashy ring worth 50 coins".

- For style reasons I'd really, really like to merge Slice's shield and sword together to get a big "2 handed" weapon that can also be used to block, if I could. i.e. take

. Blood-stained sword (Close, Messy, Forceful, Piercing 2, 2 weight)
. Shield (+1 armor, 2 weight)

And make

. Blood-stained 2-handed sword (Close, Messy, Forceful, Piercing 2, +1 armor, 4 weight).

Can I? (Only mechanichal difference that I can see is that he'll loose both his sword AND shield at the same time if he's ever disarmed...)

- Really liked the Barabrian's various Appetites, but it seemed fairy weak mechanichally to me (the equivalent of a 7-8 complication about half the time in exchange for an average +1 bonus? Am I missing something?), so I decided to stick with the Fighter for now.

- Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I think, but I'll also mention that I renamed and reorganized Needles Fables for ease of reference too (they were all named for musical partitions for some reason, like "Agitated Allegro" or "Lackluster Largo"). I got tired of re-reading the description to remember what they did each time. :)

- Left to do: Needles' Bonds, Slice's Bonds.[/sblock]Whew! My thoughts on general Backgrounds coming up.

Eventually!

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Binder Fred: I actually prefer the thief to the bard but wasn't sure how Leif was going to go, whether wizard or thief since he seemed interested in both. It does look like Changeling aptly covers the bard class so if Leif doesn't go with thief then I would gladly go that way instead. If he goes thief then I'll try the wizard though I have only briefly looked it over and am a little uncertain about how spells work.

Binder Fred

The World

OK, so from the book's description I take it you ask us questions about the world and we have sort of a conversation, each of us putting in more details that become "real", right?

Cool. Always did like cooperative world-building :)

I am thinking that I will go with an earlier idea - the characters are in the service of, or owe a debt to a reasonably power member of the 'monster kingdom'.

So who is this person; the Winter or the Summer Princes, Witching Troll, the Grandmaster of Flowers, or someone else entirely?

• GlassEye: The Witching Troll

• Binder Fred: ...is a hulking, hill-sized mass of animated granite (*)

the-troll-hunter-norwegian-documentary-still.jpg

(*) The fireside stories SAY solid granite anyways: makes for a more intense tale. ;)

How did you come to owe this bond or service?

• Binder Fred: Some of his agents from the Autumn Brigade hired us

What is the monster kingdom like? (The monster kingdom is just my name for the Fae world. Its not so much a separate place, as an alternative version of places in the mundane world.)
  • Binder Fred: There are actually cohabitating LAYERS of these alternate realities for any place of any importance in the real world. So there's for example a Seelie version of the Wood of Fate, but also an Unseelie version of the Wood of Fate.
  • Binder Fred: At certain times and at certain places, the boundary between realities bends before the forces of nature and fades to nothing on its own, so that even an unaided mortal (or Fae) can just walk across without knowing if he is not careful, and quick to return.
    Such as the ruined valley of Urington, that appears to would-be pillagers but once a year and only under the pale light of the first full moon of spring. Or visions of Seelie towers that appear to float in the sky of the mortal world. Or a certain barrow entrance, that takes the unwary visitor to a very bad version of reality indeed, if he should but walk into it at the moment of twilight every day...

Why is your character so keen to go there, or stay away?
  • Slice: Doesn't care: if the payday's over there, he's going over there too. He's actually half certain the monstrosities his House was accused of worshipping came from there (or wanted to do something there after they came through at his family's estate), but since it's all lies, it doesn't matter one whiff.

• Needles: Need you even ask?

Tag, you're it.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Doghead & Leif: Apparently DW does half-races by having the second, non-dominant race express itself through an advanced move of some kind. See for example the Bard's and Ranger's "Half-Elven" advanced moves.

Leif: Note that Needles is half human, half Splinterwaif (i.e. half THIS, or variations thereof). So... Could he be his cousin on the human side maybe? Or did you mean "cousin" in the "all fae/all unseelie fae are cousins" sense?

For your Mage, I'd recommend looking here as there's some really cool Playbooks in there. Including a mage that litteraly takes on the physical characteristics of a red dragon, an ice-producing Winter Mage with Freeze Solid and snow mechanics, an illusion mage heavy on the deceit side of things (The Masked Mage) and a wormhole/gravity-oriented "Star Mage" (nothing to do with Astrology here!).
Okay, I'm not hell-bent on having a half-elf, if it's going to complicate things.

[MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION] No, I hadn't planned on the splinterwaif being so ... prickly. And I didn't mean 'cousin' in the All-Fey sense. So that's not going to work, either, because I don't want to be a relative of that thing in the pic you posted. [Sorry, but talk about a face that only a mother could love....]

The Winter Mage, the Masked Mage, and the Star Mage all sound like great fun to me.

[MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], I won't be stepping on your thievish toes, sir, I'm leaning more towards mage. However, I'm beginning to wonder just what I've got myself into with this game, 'cause it's looking less and less familiar to me by the second.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Okay, I'm not hell-bent on having a half-elf, if it's going to complicate things.
I think the rules just mean you can choose to be any race or half-race you want to be, but your char won't have an (extra) mechanical advantage for it unless you specifically pick one of the ones you have and say: "This move here is his XXX blood manifesting".

If you don't, you're still a half-whatever in game: you just haven't got or haven't honed/tapped into the full potential of your mixed genome yet.

It's all rather organic, so I like it myself, on reflexion. Just takes a little getting used to.

No, I hadn't planned on the splinterwaif being so ... prickly. And I didn't mean 'cousin' in the All-Fey sense. So that's not going to work, either, because I don't want to be a relative of that thing in the pic you posted. [Sorry, but talk about a face that only a mother could love....]
:) I did mention that he was unseelie, right? Splinterwaifs/Splinterlings are basically humanoid gorse/thorn bushes (I'm not too wild about the 'toungue' on this particular illustration myself, but all versions seem to agree their main weapon is spitting large slivers of wood a fair distance, so that's certainly one way to go about it).

Needles is not a full blood Splinterwaif - and the Changeling actually has a move that let's me change my appearance when I need to - but you now see the why of the cloak and the gloves. :)

However, I'm beginning to wonder just what I've got myself into with this game, 'cause it's looking less and less familiar to me by the second.
How so, if I can pry a little? And what would make you more comfortable about the whole thing?

EDIT= If you want to go whole hog on the racial thing, I checked and there are actually some racial playbooks available out there (The Elf, for one), for, I guess, characters who'se moves are mostly defined by what race they were born into? I haven't got any of these myself, so I can't really comment.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Dungeon World Summary

Binder Fred
1. Changling
2. Human Fighter

Leif
1. Human Cleric
2. Considering Elf/Human Wizard or Thief

GlassEye
1. Considering Elf Druid
2. Considering Thief or Wizard

Re: Half Races - If you want the character to be a half blood, thats fine. It can be a blank space waiting to be filled. Which is very DW. When we get to the the first level up (and have had a chance to see how the game works) we can look at whether to allow any class to use the Half-Race Advanced Move something like the Ranger Half-Elf move. If not, I am sure that something will suggest itself instead.

Re: Characters - I am not going to insist on anyone taking two characters. It was just a way of broadening the character class base with a limited number of players.

Re: Classes - Where possible I would prefer classes from the core rules. That way we all have access to the material, and it keeps things more manageable. If there is an alternative playbook that particularly appeals (such as BF and the Changling*), by all means ask, and I will consider it.

* BF - I'll get back to you shortly on the requested changes shortly.

Re: Setting - Its not going to be too different from the fairly standard fantasy medieval world. The monster kingdom is just my name for the Fae world. Its not so much a separate place, as an alternative version of places in the mundane world. Initially, at least, the characters will spend most of their time in the mundane (or real, depending on your character's view) world. It should feel fairly DnD in style :) I'll try and pull something together over the next few days.

thotd

Binder Fred

Oh, my bad: I thought the Monster Kingdom was a kingdom ruled by the usual monster races, somewhere adjacent to the human kingdom(s).

I'll change my background suggestion for "what is the monster kingdom like?" above then, say:

• Binder Fred: There are actually cohabitating LAYERS of these alternate realities for any place of any importance in the real world. So there's for example a Seelie version of the Wood of Fate, but also an Unseelie version of the Wood of Fate.
* BF - I'll get back to you shortly on the requested changes shortly.
That should be very quick then. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads