OOC - From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
doghead said:
Anyway, to move things along I pushed the characters across the courtyard to the steps. I hope no one objects.

I don't object but I do kinda feel I've been deprived of something. What I mean is, we were given a move that we needed to use to get successfully to the Keep and as far as I can tell, Trickle was the only one who used it. I was going to have Khirynnax transform and fly across the courtyard and Tristan has never seen him do that before.

To my fellow players, when describing actions taken by your character, I encourage you to consider how that action interacts with the moves system of Dungeon World. Please include that in an sblock with the result of your roll. If doghead disagrees with the move he'll say so. If the move is appropriate then that'll eliminate doghead needing to say 'Sounds like X move, roll' and help the scene advance a bit quicker. Besides, moves and bonds are (as far as I can tell) the only way to get experience in DW; we need to be using them.

Last edited:

TillForPie

First Post
To my fellow players, when describing actions taken by your character, I encourage you to consider how that action interacts with the moves system of Dungeon World. Please include that in an sblock with the result of your roll. If doghead disagrees with the move he'll say so. If the move is appropriate then that'll eliminate doghead needing to say 'Sounds like X move, roll' and help the scene advance a bit quicker. Besides, moves and bonds are (as far as I can tell) the only way to get experience in DW; we need to be using them.
Do you have examples of times we've perhaps inappropriately described actions without using moves? The only thing I can think of is maybe not calling Tristan's cutting of the webs a Hack & Slash move, but given that doghead described them as not being substantial enough to pose any type of resistance I figured calling that Hack & Slash would be like calling cutting a loaf of bread Hack & Slash.

:p

I'm not trying to go out of my way to be contrary or anything, I just really don't know what moves we've been missing.

Edit: I guess I could be making more discern realities rolls...

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
The one that specifically comes to mind is Hawthorne studying the Gatehouse. I think doghead called for a Discern Realities. I may be misremembering, though.

I didn't mean my comment to sound like I'm calling anyone out or anything. If it sounds like that then I apologize.

doghead

thotd
I don't object but I do kinda feel I've been deprived of something. What I mean is, we were given a move that we needed to use to get successfully to the Keep and as far as I can tell, Trickle was the only one who used it. I was going to have Khirynnax transform and fly across the courtyard and Tristan has never seen him do that before.

Yeah, that would have been cool. Sorry.

Throwing a Move into an sblock definitely helps move things along. So far you have pretty much nailed the choice of moves.

There are two ways to gain XP (I had to look this bit up).

During a session you Mark XP if you roll a 6-.

And then there is End Of Session, a Special Move:
End of Session said:
When you reach the end of a session, choose one of your bonds that you feel is resolved (completely explored, no longer relevant, or otherwise). Ask the player of the character you have the bond with if they agree. If they do, mark XP and write a new bond with whomever you wish.
Once bonds have been updated look at your alignment. If you fulfilled that alignment at least once this session, mark XP. Then answer these three questions as a group:
• Did we learn something new and important about the world?
• Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?
• Did we loot a memorable treasure?
For each “yes” answer everyone marks XP.

End of Session provides the opportunity to gain up to 5XP (Bond, Alignment, and 3 Questions).

Levelling Up can occur when there is downtime and requires XP equal to the PC's [Current Level +7], so 8 in this case. Assuming you can nail the 5 End of Session XP, that means 3XP are required from Moves in order to Level Up when we do an End of Session.

I was planning on just levelling everyone at some point that seemed appropriate rather than track XP (as I normally do). But the way in which DW manages XP, being much more interactive, makes me think I should try an End of Session move. Maybe if the characters get back to Hengistead.

doghead

thotd
[MENTION=6763059]Rubberneck[/MENTION], [MENTION=6762758]TillForPie[/MENTION]

There are a couple of questions and other stuff in post 204. Once we have covered this, we can get characters approved and posted to the RG thread.

Then we can look to getting the dwarves into the IC thread.

thotd

Rubberneck

First Post
Would you mind clarifying what info you need from me? Do you just need what Gemheart and Ahlgren were up to pre meeting the rest of the party or what?

doghead

thotd
Background for Gemheart and Ahlgren.

Till, RN - This still needs work (but it was taking longer than expected, and I am struggling to find the time to finish it properly), so I decided to get it up so you have something to start on.

Gemheart and Ahlgren made their bargain with the Witching Troll some 2 months ago. The task they were given was quite similar to that given to the others; head to the area, find out what's going on (this bit needs work)

The meeting took place somewhere to the west. Allow about week of travel to get to the current region. About 3-4 days ago you received message from the witching troll advising you to seek out three more companions in Hengistead, a forest walker, a priest of the stone gods and a rogue.

The six weeks in between are yours to do with as you see fit.
1. Where have you been?
2. What have you been doing?

To reflect this, each of you gets the equivalent of a 10+ result on Discern Realities Move, giving you each three questions. You may ask about anything in the wiki, including the maps. You don't have to ask all three now, you may hold two questions for later if you wish.

Also, a couple of questions about dwarves.
3. Where do they fit into the Universe?

There is the World of the Fae, who have no gods. There is the World of Mortals, with their gods. There are those of the Fae, but not Fae, like the Elves (and maybe Orcs?), who are mortal, but who mostly live in the World of the Fae, and are closely tied to its magic. I tend to think that the dwarves are an older race than man, like the Fae. But unlike the Fae, they are less magical. Perhaps they are sort of anti-magical, more elemental maybe? Dragons beleive themselves to be elemental, born out of the chaos of creation. Anyway, you don't have to tie anything down, just interested to hear what you think, and what you think might be cool.

thotd

I have reformatted the sblock section of post #204 to make the questions a bit more obvious. There are three questions from me, and you (Till and RN), both have up to three questions of your own you can ask.

thotd

TillForPie

First Post
[sblock=Darf stuff]
The six weeks in between are yours to do with as you see fit. Where have you been? What have you been doing?
I don't want to speak for Rubberneck but I imagine Gemheart would have made her way to the area pretty quickly. She'd camp in the woods, occasionally emerging at night to pilfer supplies from undefended farmhouses and the like. Not so much rapine as breaking into chicken coops and making off with their contents in the middle of the night, that kind of thing. She wouldn't hesitate to threaten to visit violence upon any peasants who want to play hero, however.

doghead said:
To reflect this, each of you gets the equivalent of a 10+ result on Discern Realities Move, giving you each three questions. You may ask about anything in the wiki, including the maps. You don't have to ask all three now, you may hold two questions for later if you wish.
1.) "What here is useful to me?" with regards to the general area.
2.) "What here is not what it appears to be?" same as above.
I'll hold onto Gemheart's third question for now.

doghead said:
Also, a couple of questions about dwarves. Where do they fit into the Universe? There is the World of the Fae, who have no gods. There is the World of Mortals, with their gods. There are those of the Fae, but not Fae, like the Elves (and maybe Orcs?), who are mortal, but who mostly live in the World of the Fae, and are closely tied to its magic. I tend to think that the dwarves are an older race than man, like the Fae. But unlike the Fae, they are less magical. Perhaps they are sort of anti-magical, more elemental maybe? Dragons beleive themselves to be elemental, born out of the chaos of creation. Anyway, you don't have to tie anything down, just interested to hear what you think, and what you think might be cool.
Short, sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry. They need alcohol to get through the working day. They like working outdoors and grumble only mildly at inclement weather.

[video=youtube;ytWz0qVvBZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0[/video]
Obviously that's mostly a joke but it actually kind of sums up how I'll be approaching the race pretty well. There are two extremes, mundane at one end and the fae on the other - and I have a feeling that dwarves are to humans as elves are to fae.[/sblock]

Rubberneck

First Post
I would think Ahlgren wouldn't be far behind Gemheart. Even when he was in his prime he followed the orders of the leaders of the Mercenary group. They'd point out the target and Ahlgren would engage.

As for my questions I think I'll save them until I can think of good times to use them if that's alright. If not I'll try and think of something.

Remove ads