OOC - From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm gonna post this here so as not to clog up the IC thread with OOC discussion.

doghead said:
You are, as I read it, missing a move - Hack and Slash. Backstab looks like it requires a Hack and Slash move first: you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX. So:

I disagree.

Dungeon Word SRD said:
Hack and slash is for attacking a prepared enemy plain and simple. If the enemy isn’t prepared for your attack—if they don’t know you’re there or they’re restrained and helpless—then that’s not hack and slash. You just deal your damage or murder them outright, depending on the situation. Nasty stuff.

I feel Backstab is a special move that replaces that 'you just deal your damage' with a move that can enable some extra specials because he's a thief. You are, essentially, requiring me to make two attack rolls for one action. That doubles my chance of failure and, imo, doesn't make sense in the fiction of leaping from hiding and doing higher damage because my enemy is unaware.

The important question for me is: 'Is a suspicious spider a prepared spider?' If the answer is no, then I get to do Backstab. If the answer is yes, then, obviously, Backstab isn't the right move and, based on my fiction, Trickle makes a Hack and Slash move.

TillForPie

First Post
Yeah, according to the SRD attacking a surprised enemy is an auto-hit. Backstab doesn't modify the attack itself, it just says that when you make an attack against a surprised enemy you can use the move in place of doing damage.

doghead

thotd
I think you are right.

I missed the part in Hack and Slash where it says if the opponent a surprised or defenceless, you just deal your damage. Which accounts for the you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX in Backstab. I did think that requiring an extra roll seemed a bit harsh, but couldn't see how you got to deal the damage that you then could choose to substitute for the Backstab move.

Good call.

I think that the intital Defy Danger move was sufficient to account for catching the spider unprepared, even though it was suspicious. So Backstab rather than Hack and Slash is the right move.

Which also means the spider doesn't counter, and Trickle isn't poisoned.

*sigh*

:D

I really liked the spider poison mechanism. If you have any thoughts on that one, let me know.

thotd

doghead

thotd
I have updated the wiki, adding the 'Rumours' the characters picked up at the tavern as well as a Creature Catalogue page.
[MENTION=6762758]TillForPie[/MENTION] - Rubberneck mentioned you are running a nWOD Mage game. Good to see a little WOD on the boards. I haven't played any nWOD, but played some a bit of the original WOD. Mostly Vampire and Werewolf. We played one Mage game, although I played a Werewolf in that one, which was fun, but I didn't learn much about the Mage system. I think I have the Wraith book somewhere.

I had a bit of a read of the first few pages of your game. That's some pretty impressive writing. Nice work.

thotd

TillForPie

First Post
[MENTION=6762758]TillForPie[/MENTION] - Rubberneck mentioned you are running a nWOD Mage game. Good to see a little WOD on the boards. I haven't played any nWOD, but played some a bit of the original WOD. Mostly Vampire and Werewolf. We played one Mage game, although I played a Werewolf in that one, which was fun, but I didn't learn much about the Mage system. I think I have the Wraith book somewhere.

I had a bit of a read of the first few pages of your game. That's some pretty impressive writing. Nice work.
Thanks. :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
I really liked the spider poison mechanism. If you have any thoughts on that one, let me know.

I'm sure you'll get a chance to use it. I'm just now beginning to grasp how moves work; what makes a good move is a little beyond my ken right now. I think your poison resistance mechanism looks fine. I'd hate to get paralyzed (but it would've served Trickle right).

GlassEye

Adventurer
[MENTION=4441]Isida Kep'Tukari[/MENTION] [MENTION=8243]doghead[/MENTION]

So... other comments on bringing in additional characters? I don't think this is something we should leave hanging.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm totally fine with bringing in another player, someone else bringing in another character. :) I'll probably stick with just Hawthorne, due to my unfamiliarity with the system and the other games I have going on.

Remove ads