Banned for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've said all I can really say but there's a few things here I want to clear up:

First, the woman in question is a minority, not white.

Second, he never ordered her to do anything, he requested.

Third, the seats in question were his. He paid for them so he certainly can decide who he wants to sit in them.

Fourth, he never prevented any of her guests from attending a game.

Request/order - that's a nitpick. He really did both based on the recordings I've heard. He told her flat out that he didn't want her broadcasting that she's associating with black people on her Instagram account. In their argument he turned his problem with her associating with black people into her problem. She was the one causing the problem because she was the one arguing with him and making him feel bad. Oh, boo hoo.

The funny thing is - he didn't want her broadcasting that she associates with black people because of what people will think and say about it. And here everybody is, thinking and saying things about his low character because he doesn't want her to doing that. Irony 1, Donald Sterling 0.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Request/order - that's a nitpick. He really did both based on the recordings I've heard. He told her flat out that he didn't want her broadcasting that she's associating with black people on her Instagram account. In their argument he turned his problem with her associating with black people into her problem. She was the one causing the problem because she was the one arguing with him and making him feel bad. Oh, boo hoo.

The funny thing is - he didn't want her broadcasting that she associates with black people because of what people will think and say about it. And here everybody is, thinking and saying things about his low character because he doesn't want her to doing that. Irony 1, Donald Sterling 0.

It's another 'say vs do' situation. He said a lot, sure, but in the end he never prevented her from doing anything.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's another 'say vs do' situation. He said a lot, sure, but in the end he never prevented her from doing anything.

You seem to assert that speaking something is not an action. If it isn't an action, if speaking doesn't count for anything, why is it so darned important that we be prevented from the government trying to stop us from doing it? Why do we care about freedom of speech if speaking doesn't matter?

Words have power. Speaking is an action, and what one says can matter.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
You seem to assert that speaking something is not an action. If it isn't an action, if speaking doesn't count for anything, why is it so darned important that we be prevented from the government trying to stop us from doing it? Why do we care about freedom of speech if speaking doesn't matter?

Words have power. Speaking is an action, and what one says can matter.

Cuz here it's in the presentation. Folks are suggesting that what he said actually did something. It didn't and that, in this case, matters. He said he didn't want certain people to come to games on tickets that were his. That's all that happened. People are equating his words with an action that never occurred. That's why it matters in this case. Had he actually done anything we wouldn't even be discussing this now because I'd not have seen anything wrong with what was done.

In certain cases word can definitely translate into deed. This, though, is not a case where that happened.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What the words did do is reveal a business owner as someone who has a profound lack of respect for most of his employees, a large percentage of his customers, and the employees & customers of the league of his co-oligopolists, which damaged his brand and the oligopoly's brand, and thus cost powerful people money.

IOW, he pissed off a lot of people, some with a lot of money. It could have irreparably damaged the league.

So people up & down the economic ladder booted him in the butt.

Last edited:

billd91

Cuz here it's in the presentation. Folks are suggesting that what he said actually did something. It didn't and that, in this case, matters. He said he didn't want certain people to come to games on tickets that were his. That's all that happened. People are equating his words with an action that never occurred. That's why it matters in this case. Had he actually done anything we wouldn't even be discussing this now because I'd not have seen anything wrong with what was done.

In certain cases word can definitely translate into deed. This, though, is not a case where that happened.

That Sterling's girlfriend didn't do anything but argue with him is immaterial. He's being held accountable for what he did - tell his girlfriend to employ racist discrimination directed against black people. He certainly did that.

Are you saying that someone shouldn't suffer the consequences of honestly saying "All Jews should be stuffed in concentration camps and murdered" or "All black people should shipped back to Africa where they belong" just because they don't actually do those things? Those are more extreme statements than telling some woman not to post pictures of herself with black people on Instagram or bring them to games to sit with her, but the principle is the same. Saying something racist, in certain environments, draws a reaction and consequences will ensue. And that's perfectly fair. Expose yourself publicly as a d-bag and people won't want to associate with you.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Expose yourself publicly as a d-bag and people won't want to associate with you.

Or- more accurately in this case- get publicly exposed as a d-bag and people won't want to associate with you.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
That Sterling's girlfriend didn't do anything but argue with him is immaterial. He's being held accountable for what he did - tell his girlfriend to employ racist discrimination directed against black people. He certainly did that.

Are you saying that someone shouldn't suffer the consequences of honestly saying "All Jews should be stuffed in concentration camps and murdered" or "All black people should shipped back to Africa where they belong" just because they don't actually do those things? Those are more extreme statements than telling some woman not to post pictures of herself with black people on Instagram or bring them to games to sit with her, but the principle is the same. Saying something racist, in certain environments, draws a reaction and consequences will ensue. And that's perfectly fair. Expose yourself publicly as a d-bag and people won't want to associate with you.

Have you ever said you'd like to kill/throttle/punch someone? If so, I suspect you'll be turning yourself in to the authorities rather soon so I won't expect a response.

Srsly, there is a massive difference between saying/thinking and doing. We all know it cuz we've all lived it. Why we can't apply that to others is beyond me - and appalling. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone was actually discriminated against. None. All we've got is some guy telling some girl who he pays to be seen with him who he doesn't want her to take to watch games his team plays in seats he pays for. Nothing more.

He's a piece of garbage, sure, but he doesn't deserve to be damned based solely on assumptive extrapolation.

billd91

He's a piece of garbage, sure, but he doesn't deserve to be damned based solely on assumptive extrapolation.

You may think so, but you aren't a member of the organization in question - which gets to set its own rules for membership and punish members for the behavior that, in turn, reflects on the group.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Have you ever said you'd like to kill/throttle/punch someone? If so, I suspect you'll be turning yourself in to the authorities rather soon so I won't expect a response.
Completely different standard, completely different set of responders.

He said words. The words in question were found to be repugnant enough that his employees, business partners, and customers united to decide he wasn't worth associating with in this business venture. And as we saw from Marge Schott's experience, this has become the standard.

He spoke freely, and the market spoke back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases