I watched the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would have to watch it again to give specific examples but I think that one line is important and it is pretty clear from the rest of the film how important family is It's a pretty weak theme. The only reason family is even a theme is because the movie is about mafia families. They could have made the same terrible movie about a criminal group organized along other lines, such as a gang where everyone lived on the same block; a gang where everyone was from the same school, job, country; a gang where people just met at a particular bar and decided to join up. Family doesn't seem ver important. Hell, right after the Godfather gets shot up, they are already trying to calm everyone down. The lawyer keeps telling everyone how it isn't personal, it's just business.

no it is a key theme. One of many but still crucial. The conflict centers on the attempted killing of the father. It starts at a wedding and the re is an extended sequence where men honor Vito on the day of his daughters wedding. Fredo cries papa when his dad gets shot. Sonny dies because he is trying to protect his sister. Michael's story is shaped by the death of his wife. Vito does while playing with his grandson. Then Michael inherits his fathers empire and kills a bunch of people during his nephew's baptism.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Good side? What good side? Were we shown a good side? I don't remember any good side. I just remember a spoiled brat playboy. One who enjoyed all the benefits, then whined like a little Hctib when the consequences of his actions came back on him.

Family is important? Maybe the movie just assumes that everyone agrees or already knows this. I certainly don't see any evidence.
Sounds like what was missing was the actual training montage. ;)

Omerta is like the code of honor? Uh, NO. More like the real code of Chivalry (which is nothing like the popular victorian romantic delusions of gentlemanly conduct--Chivalry allows for rape and murder, so long as the victim is of a lower class).
I suppose it is possible that Omerta is as mis-represented in the movie as the public perception of Chivalry, or the code of Samurai as depicted in martial arts movies.

Well, hate to break it to you, but the second and third movies, any any information they have, are irrelevant to the first movie when discussing wether or not the first movie is any good. If you would like to discuss the character's development throughout the terrible series, we could do that. I'll be at a disadvantage, as I haven't seen the other two atrocities, but we can still discuss it. If you can't understand that the other movies don't contribute to the quality of the first movie, well, too bad. They don't. The first movie was obviously written terribly. So terribly it relied on movies that hadn't been written yet in order to be any good. Now, try to keep your focus and discussion to the first movie.

I wasn't bringing it because I think it is needed to understand the first movie, I raised it because the general subject of michaels arch came up, and because that does span three movies the second film had relevant material

sabrinathecat

Explorer
no it is a key theme. One of many but still crucial. The conflict centers on the attempted killing of the father. It starts at a wedding and the re is an extended sequence where men honor Vito on the day of his daughters wedding. Fredo cries papa when his dad gets shot. Sonny dies because he is trying to protect his sister. Michael's story is shaped by the death of his wife. Vito does while playing with his grandson. Then Michael inherits his fathers empire and kills a bunch of people during his nephew's baptism.

Sounds to me more like MURDER and KILLING are central themes, and Family is a side footnote or easter egg.

And just for the record: Michael Bay, Kurtzman, and Orci should all be sodomized with chainsaws.

If it was relevant material, it should have been in the first movie. It wasn't.

Sounds to me more like MURDER and KILLING are central themes, and Family is a side footnote or easter egg.

And just for the record: Michael Bay, Kurtzman, and Orci should all be sodomized with chainsaws.

If it was relevant material, it should have been in the first movie. It wasn't.

i think family, criminality, murder etc were all in there in pretty equal measure.

I wasn't bringing it because I think it is needed to understand the first movie, I raised it because the general subject of michaels arch came up, and because that does span three movies the second film had relevant material

So in order to see Michael's character development, I have to watch two other movies made way after the first was made? Yeah, I'm sticking with it being a terribly Queen movie that had pour characters with no character development in the first movie. It is a weak script. It's a terrible movie.

So in order to see Michael's character development, I have to watch two other movies made way after the first was made? Yeah, I'm sticking with it being a terribly Queen movie that had pour characters with no character development in the first movie. It is a weak script. It's a terrible movie.

in order to understand his developmnent over all three movies, yes all three movies are relevant
....but his development in part 1 is self contained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads