Dwimmermount IC:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Battleaxe," Midgrim distractedly points Pieter to where it fell on the cavern floor.

But then: "Guran Stonetell?! What sorcery is this?" He'd thought one of the stillborns had awoken skewed, started awakening the others, but this is one of the caretakers! This... This is just unsettling.

He stands away from the body, as if it might be catching...

"Have yee ever heard of anything like this, brother?" And, "What about yee, Mage Climent, can yee tell if he was under some outside domination or the like? Oh, and what were yee going ta say about this wonderful azatoth oil afore yee were so rudely interrupted?"

Insane dwarves are one thing, but - Midgrim grins - "Oil like that could clear out this entire dungeon in no time flat."

OOC: How big is the Azoth pool, Imperialus? Say in terms of oil flasks? :angel: Does Midgrim know anything about that substance himself by the way (origins, uses, that sort of thing)?

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"You knew him, then? I'm... sorry." says Pieter to Midgrim and Gargrim. "The horrors within this mountain must have taken their toll. I hope he finds the peace in death that he didn't in life."

Binder Fred

The fat dwarf pushes such small concerns aside: they have bigger fish to fry! "We three've been sent by our elders ta find out what went wrong with the caretakers, priest," he informs. "And I'm a thinking THIS, might be something ta do with it."

He gestures to those pointed teeth...

OOC: Any unusual marks on the body besides the teeth, Imperialus? Signs of dark rituals or the like?

Imperialus

Explorer
Climent shrugs as he bends down and retrieves his dagger from the dwarfs corpse. "There are all manner of spells that might affect the mind of a man, for good or ill. Some last but a moment, others can bind its victim for months or years. You are right to suspect sorcery, though I cannot agree with you with certainty."

He then crouches over the pool and dips the tip of his dagger into the black ooze, letting it drip back into his source. As for azoth... Well, it is the true treasure of Dwimmermount, and the source of it's power, and the power of those who have controlled the fortress. According to texts that date back to Thulian times the void between the celestial spheres is filled with a strange and mystical vapour called quintessence. Somehow, for reasons I do not know this quintessence once rained down on earth. Upon reaching the ground it transformed into what you see here." he gestures at the pool "As for the Azoth itself, I'm sure you probably know that it is highly valuable, even essential, for all manner of dewomers and enchantments. In this form, it is of little more use than for the purpose you already saw... but when refined into its daughter substances it can do wondrous things... Cure the most grievous wounds, bind enchantments to items, dissolve any substance known, and I'm sure others that I'm unaware of. Alchemists within Adamas can refine small amounts, a few drams at a time, in part because of its difficulty, and in part due to the rarity of Azoth beyond these walls... I have seen fragments of some truly ancient texts however that refer to a great machine in the bowels of the mountain that can refine Azoth on a grand scale, not to mention a great underground lake of raw, unrefined Azoth.

Some of this your characters would likely already know. Refined Azoth is used by the gnomes to aid in the enchantment of dwarven weapons, and you know that it is highly sought after by magic users.

OOC: As for the small pool of Azoth, it looks like Climent has managed to extract another 2 flasks of the stuff before the pool is largely dry. Regarding Guran, you don't see any other marks or signs of torture that give you any clues as to what happened to him. He seems to have simply gone mad.

Binder Fred

"Right." The mage has obviously been bottling up his words for a while now... Instructive stuff though, the fat dwarf has got to admit. "So let's try ta keep these azoth flasks for refining then -- although they aren't worth our lives, I'm thinking." He won't be crying if a few more kobolds end up on the charcoaled side!

For now though, Midgrim glances down the far corridor, picking his axe back up: "I'm ALSO thinking the next room down's probably clear now that these here are dead, so what say yee we go scoop up whatever treasures they had and then we can rest up afore heading back surface-wise?" He grins: "Then it's ale and warm beds for us on the morrow, companions! Agreed?"

It's been a very profitable venture so far, but scratches do eventually add up...

OOC: If everyone agrees, usual marching order to the next room down, please. :)

Leif

Adventurer
Klyman Sylar

"Agreed." Klyman can't remember, offhand, when he's been as sick of a place as he is of this dungeon.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Pieter is impressed by Climent's knowledge.

Azoth... had he overheard some of the leaders of he Fist mention it? Was this what we were really seeking within the Dwimmermount? Curing wounds, enchanting items... It sounds like something the temple of Typhon could make use of.

His mind snaps back to the present as his allies discuss their next move.

"Yes, I too would welcome a chance to sleep in a proper bed. And we can't forget Vindar of course. Maybe the healers at the temple can help soothe his mind even if they can't repair his body."

He joins the marching order as the party moves onwards.

Binder Fred

Midgrim, about to say the reverse seems more likely ta HIM, turns away without a word instead: 'Hope now; despair later, if appropriate,' as their great uncle used to say.

So for now: forwards!

[sblock=OOC]He might have whispered it without knowing if anybody feels like overhearing. :)[/sblock]

Remove ads