D&D 5E My New Players Have Quit 5th Edition

ren1999

First Post
From my read of the OP it sounds to me like he was upset that 1st level characters didn't start with enough hp's in his opinion and so he decided to prove it with his new players and most likely went out of his way to kill them to justify his feelings on the matter.

In my book, a good GM is someone who's there to make sure his players have fun, even if it means house-ruling or fudging the dice a bit. Nothing worse that to bring in new players to the game and then attempt to take any fun they may have away to prove a point to yourself. Hopefully he didn't scare them off for good.

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to do. No, really.

ren1999

First Post
I run a Pathfinder game.

Even in Pathfinder when my players started out (almost 4 years ago) I house ruled that at 1st level they start with max HD + their CON score. Not their CON modifier, their CON SCORE.

I have 5 players. Each one has lost AT LEAST 1 PC in combat.

Trust me, house ruling extra HP DOES NOT ruin your game.

Who knows, maybe I read a previous comment of yours and got the idea to add the constitution score from you!

[MENTION=85179]ren1999[/MENTION] , I know you said you refuse to do so in your OP, but you might want to consider starting the PCs at level 3 and just see how that goes. There are still 17 levels after that. That is a lot of gameplay. The designers outright said that level 1 and 2 are for the folks who want that vulnerable feel and conflict avoidance inherent to initial play in old school, dungeon crawls. I'm pretty sure you aren't going for that. It seems a little bit of "cutting off your nose to spite your face" to endure a few levels of PCs who are more fragile than you (and your group) would like when the answer is pretty trivial. Level and xp are mostly just metagame concepts to organize and facilitate play. Starting off at level 3 shouldn't be too jarring or burdensome and it may create a more pleasant experience. At least more pleasing than the anger-inducing hours you seem to be putting in now.

I would suggest either doing that or cut your losses and run something else.

Dausuul

Legend
Should I assume that if a Goblin brings a character to below 0 hit points that the hit points become 0 and the character is stabilized and unconscious?
First, nothing can bring a 5E character to below 0 hit points. Hit points do not go negative any more. If you take more damage than you have hit points, you are reduced to 0. If the leftover damage (after dropping you to zero) is greater than or equal to your max hit points, the Instant Death rule kicks in and you die; otherwise, the excess is simply lost with no effect, and you start making death saves on your turn. If you get hit again when already at 0, each hit adds one to your "failed death save" count, or two for a crit.

Second, just as in 4E, you can choose to incapacitate instead of kill when you reduce a foe to 0 hit points. If you do this, the enemy is at 0, unconscious and stable.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Should I assume that if a Goblin brings a character to below 0 hit points that the hit points become 0 and the character is stabilized and unconscious?
From what I gather there is no such thing as negative h.p. in 5e as written; if you go to or below 0 h.p. you are unsconscious*, after which you roll a series of saving throws one per round (the mechanic is much like a 4e skill challenge) with three successes meaning you're stabilized and three failures meaning you die. External things can modify this - if you take damage while unconscious that counts as one auto-fail, for example.

* - unless you go WAY below 0 in one blow, then you bypass all the above mechanics and just die.

Lan-"I'd do it differently myself, but we're talking RAW here"-efan

The Bugbear is not fought in the first encounter however. Also even with a surprise round. Which the Goblins only get if they beat the character perception check. There is no way 4 of them could have taken down 5 pc's before any of the PC's did anything.

darjr

I crit!
I left out that my players can't wait to play again.

The characters were left tied up and waiting to be tortured/cooked. Then, well, greedy backstabbing truculent goblins will be goblins.

Pauln6

Hero
The simplest fix is to allow 2HD at 1st level IMO (1 maxed, 1 rolled). Shouldn't unbalance higher levels, gives you 2HD to spend as healing but gives you enough hp to survive an average one-shot. 1e rangers got 2 HD and it made a huge difference to their playability.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
A little background on me as a Dungeon Master, I am from Seattle and know people who work for Wizards. I currently live in Japan and teach English to actors, singers and design people. My two players are both working on the Final Fantasy brand designing characters and doing things like shadowing. I told them that D&D is the origin of Final Fantasy and they wanted to learn how to play. They quit playing the game but I can get them back, no problem.

EDIT:In the game was one other teacher from the U.S. who is an experienced D&D player. He played 3 characters. The two newbies had one character each. One newbie played the Cleric.

I will eliminate the surprise round from my next game as a house rule.

I'll ask them to run the encounter again and this time I will not roll damage. I will apply the average damage. Maybe that will be enough.

I did read where the Goblins will leave the characters unconscious. But what does bringing a character to 0 hit points actually mean? When rolling damage, characters rarely go to 0 hit points, they almost always drop below 0 hit points. When the Cleric dies, other allies must spend their actions stabilizing allies and getting attacked at the same time. I don't think any of us are using the same stabilizing, death and dying rules.

I don't get it, you had 3 players, one of them was an experienced player who played 3 of the pregen characters and the other 2 were new players who each played one character.

During the first combat of the adventure you managed to roll realy high for all goblins getting complete surprise, you then continued (through no fault of yours) to roll realy high for the attacks and managed to drop the new players characters below 0 and it seems that you misunderstood the dying rules so you out right killed them...

What happened to the other three characters? Did you focus fire on those two characters? And if so why?

As for more robust 1st level characters, tough luck, most of us who did the playtest survey prefer this level of 1st level characters and the developers have said that if you want to start playing with 4e style of 1st level characters than just start at 3rd level, you will get the HP you like plus the level of options of 4e.

I had something like that happen to me during the playtest, I nearly TPK a group consisting of 3 new players to the hobby, I used this to illustrate that D&D is not a computer game and that you should be more alert, when the group recuperated they started playing more smart and less expecting to just have combat encounters handed to them on a platter (the rest of the players came from 4e).

Anyway, I'm rumbling. Tell us how your second game went, good luck!

Warder

Remove ads