D&D 5E What Classes in PHB?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I think it's important to point out that that list was accurate as of mid-February (5 months ago now), and people in the know claimed there have been changes from since then. So, grain of salt and all that.

Yeah, that is why I suggested that Kobold Avenger compare it to his. I'm definitely not holding it up as the finished product! :)

It's pretty neat the way the classes seem to break down evenly as others have pointed out. That said, I think it's just a coincidence; wasn't one of the goals of the 5E PH to include all the base classes from each edition in some form? (The only one missing is the warlord, and I recall a rumour that warlords are fighter subclass.)

Ranger seems to be the stand-out class for having the most alterations between the open and closed play tests.
Rangers are weird; they're a fantasy staple, but the actual theme/role they represent isn't stable at all, even across editions of D&D. It's not super surprising if the 5E ranger is still bouncing between concepts since the last playtest doc.

It's pretty neat the way the classes seem to break down evenly as others have pointed out. That said, I think it's just a coincidence; wasn't one of the goals of the 5E PH to include all the base classes from each edition in some form? (The only one missing is the warlord, and I recall a rumour that warlords are fighter subclass.)

It may have been at one point, but at another point I know they were trying to go for more of a 1e/2e feel on classes (wizards were replaced with mages, for example). So, I think they had a lot of goals that came and went as development progressed.

It may have been at one point, but at another point I know they were trying to go for more of a 1e/2e feel on classes (wizards were replaced with mages, for example). So, I think they had a lot of goals that came and went as development progressed.
Ehh, that's a fair point. That said, based on the info we've got now, the PH won't be far off of having every core class. The real question now is what subclasses there will be and how they work.

Ehh, that's a fair point. That said, based on the info we've got now, the PH won't be far off of having every core class. The real question now is what subclasses there will be and how they work.

Given some of what I saw during the playtest era, it's entirely possible that two of the classes in the Basic rules are actually subclasses. I won't be surprised if subclasses are just groupings of classes with similar mechanics, all being variations of the basic mechanics presented in the overall class. Thus, you might have sorcerer, wizard, and psion as mage subclasses.

Given some of what I saw during the playtest era, it's entirely possible that two of the classes in the Basic rules are actually subclasses. I won't be surprised if subclasses are just groupings of classes with similar mechanics, all being variations of the basic mechanics presented in the overall class. Thus, you might have sorcerer, wizard, and psion as mage subclasses.
Honestly, I would be kinda surprised if that turns out to be true, based on the information available now.

Warlord-like fighters can be created with the Battlemaster subclass.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140401

That was a very old idea that was discarded. They haven't even started work on Psionics yet.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130930

In case anyone wants to catch up on the major changes that we've heard about over the course of development:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Archive.aspx?page=0&category=all&subcategory=legendslore

I have those sorted from most recent to oldest, but you can sort them differently.

Maybe someone could sticky that last link somewhere?

That was a very old idea that was discarded. They haven't even started work on Psionics yet.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130930

In case anyone wants to catch up on the major changes that we've heard about over the course of development:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Archive.aspx?page=0&category=all&subcategory=legendslore

I have those sorted from most recent to oldest, but you can sort them differently.

Maybe someone could sticky that last link somewhere?

That's part of why I don't like how they did the playtest. If you missed anything, you could easily end up with a very, very inaccurate idea of where they were at.

Thank you for the last link!

That's part of why I don't like how they did the playtest. If you missed anything, you could easily end up with a very, very inaccurate idea of where they were at.

Thank you for the last link!

I also forgot to mention that they eventually abandoned the class group idea entirely--Mike Mearls said they didn't end up needing it.

So we just have the list of 12 classes and each is its own independent thing. (Plus the subclasses inside each.)

Yep. I can imagine it is hard to keep up for people who aren't spending inordinate amounts of time following the development so closely they ought to be paying us. :-S

Remove ads