D&D 5E What Classes in PHB?

Retreater

Legend
Do we know for certain what classes will be in the Player's Handbook?
My group is interested in converting their characters from the 2nd
edition and 1st edition hybrid we are playing (which would include a
ranger, druid, barbarian, thief, and possibly a cavalier.)

Thanks!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

Thanks!
Bard
Barbarian
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard

jadrax

Adventurer
My group is interested in converting their characters from the 2nd edition and 1st edition hybrid we are playing (which would include a ranger, druid, barbarian, thief, and possibly a cavalier.)

Ranger, Druid and Barbarian exist as full classes so conversion should be simple.

Thief is an available sub-class of Rogue.

Cavalier is the interesting one. Probably the closest to the original class is to play a fighter with the 'Protection' weapon style (so you can parry a lot) and the Animal Handling skill so you are good at riding a horse.

Just realized they made a balance between Physical/Arcane/Divine classes. 4 of each this time as primary classes.

Interesting. I didn't notice that. I am going to guess that it is purely coincidental, however.

EDIT: If you look at it though, you have to count paladin and ranger as divine, despite being warriors who are minor spellcasters (and in the ranger's case, having (probably) no other supernatural abilities) to divide the classes that way.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Interesting. I didn't notice that. I am going to guess that it is purely coincidental, however.

EDIT: If you look at it though, you have to count paladin and ranger as divine, despite being warriors who are minor spellcasters (and in the ranger's case, having (probably) no other supernatural abilities) to divide the classes that way.

Not really. I think Xodis is thinking: Martial: Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue and Ranger (spellcasting notwithstanding).
Arcane: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard (obviously) and Bard (though I personally do not like considering the bard an "arcane" class)
and Divine: Cleric, Druid, Monk and Paladin...or, if you're pov is correct, swap the Ranger into Divine and Monk into Marital...flavorwise, though, I think the Monk is more accurately portrayed as the divine class and the Ranger as, primarily, the fighter/warrior guy.

Xodis

First Post
Not really. I think Xodis is thinking: Martial: Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue and Ranger (spellcasting notwithstanding).
Arcane: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard (obviously) and Bard (though I personally do not like considering the bard an "arcane" class)
and Divine: Cleric, Druid, Monk and Paladin...or, if you're pov is correct, swap the Ranger into Divine and Monk into Marital...flavorwise, though, I think the Monk is more accurately portrayed as the divine class and the Ranger as, primarily, the fighter/warrior guy.

Martial/Physical - Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, Monk

Divine - Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Druid

Arcane - Bard, Warlock, Sorcerer, Wizard

This was my view of it all. Either way it works though. Maybe they broke them all down into further categories, Brute Force, Power of Personality, The Quick, and The Tough.... just a guess though.

Remathilis

Legend

Thanks!

Ranger: Full-class. Pick "humanoid" special enemy. If you want to get that "arcane caster" element, take a level or two of an arcane class or a feat that grants spellcasting.
Druid: Full-class.
Barbarian: Full-class. You'll have to learn to live with rage, but you don't automatically want to kill the druid anymore!
Thief: Subclass of Rogue. Just be proficient in Sleight of Hand (Pick Pocket) Thieves Tools (Open Locks, Remove Traps), Perception (Find Traps, Detect Noise), Stealth (Hide in Shadows/Move Silently), and Athletics (Climb Walls)
Cavalier: For now, this is going to be a Fighter with a noble/knight background and the right bonds/flaws.

You might lose a little in translation (when don't you?) but overall, it should be easy to convert if you don't aim for 1:1 conversion.

Remove ads