Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard

That's a great, comprehensive class list. Now what remains to be seen is whether we'll see splat books with more classes, or if they're going to focus on sub-classes and backgrounds. For instance, what would a 5E Avenger or Bladesinger be? Both are relatively specific in tone, but perhaps the Avenger could be a sub-class of Paladin and Bladesinger a sub-class of Bard?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Wait, there are going to be feats that grant spellcasting? Was this in the playtest?

Yes.

There were 3-ish feats for both arcane and divine casting. Each granted a low number of spells per day. The first was a couple of cantrips and 1 1st level spell I think.

Thaumaturge.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's a great, comprehensive class list. Now what remains to be seen is whether we'll see splat books with more classes, or if they're going to focus on sub-classes and backgrounds. For instance, what would a 5E Avenger or Bladesinger be? Both are relatively specific in tone, but perhaps the Avenger could be a sub-class of Paladin and Bladesinger a sub-class of Bard?
Avenger is tough, since it has some paladin, some monk, and some rogue in its DNA.

Paladin: Good with heavy weapons, mostly martial with some divine buffs.
Monk: Fights well with lack of armor, focus on Wisdom as a primary stat.
Rogue: Stealthy, focus on single target, Dex as a useful stat.

I'd lean towards Monk, but I could see very valid approaches for the other two.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
It's kind of interesting. Given that way back in the day, the two classes were fighting man and magic-user, and cleric and thief were kind of tacked on later as supplemental, I think it's rather appropriate that we now have four full warriors (fighter, barbarian, paladin, ranger), four full arcanists (wizard, sorcerer, warlock, and bard), and four support/supplemental (two trixy sneaks, the rogue and monk; and two divine healers, the cleric and druid). I find this to be a very pleasing symmetry.

Branduil

Hero
The Monk is more of a fighter than a sneaky character now, I believe.

If we were to categorize using the 4e roles:

Defenders:

Melee Fighter
Paladin
Melee Ranger
Monk
Barbarian

Strikers:

Rogue
Warlock?
Sorcerer?
Archery Fighter
Archery Ranger

Leaders:

Bard
Cleric
Druid

Controllers:

Wizard
Sorcerer?
Warlock?
Druid

gyor

Legend
There was an Avenger subclass in the playtest for the Paladin.

The subclass abilities felt very Avengerish, except no Armour of Faith. You used you channel divinity to
Oath of Enimity an oppenant. Also Avengers got spells like Misty Step (teleporting), Hunter (extra damage against the target when doing physical attacks), hold person, and so on, which helped as well.

The other Paladin subclass was the Cavalier. The Cavalier is a Paladin, so he/she uses magic, but if that is not a deal breaker for your player's character that could be an option for updating, and the Paladin got fighting style as well, so he could choose protection as well.

gyor

Legend
As for Bladesinger the Eldrich Knight fighter subclass could be a good way to go.

Gets the fighters universal features plus wizard spell casting using abjuration and evocation schools of magic. Good for those who wish to update thier Swordmage or Duskblade characters (hexblades are probably better off going Warlock with the Blade type of Pact). In fact if you don't like Eldrich Knight for your Spellblade, you could go Warlock, Blase pact with a fey patron could work too. (All this based on either playtest, LL articles, or D&D basic).

Ichneumon

First Post

A bit of both, I'd say. The Psion is very likely to show up as a full class in a future supplement. Concepts like Artificer and Elementalist could do the same, though Elementalist sounds fitting as a sorcerer subclass. Avenger is almost certainly going to be a Paladin subclass (grey knight?), and Bladesinger ... hmm, would have to see the Eldritch Knight and Valor Bard before knowing where a bladesinger could fit in.

Remove ads