D&D 5E Basic rules paperback tweeted by Morrus

Henry

Autoexreginated
I am 99.9 percent sure this is a ripoff/hoax - if it were legal, it wouldn't be under "Mike Mearls", that's about as dumb in counterfeiting as they come, it would be by WotC, and we'd see some kind of press on Wizards' site. Hopefully Lulu will have that down in short order.

dream66_

First Post
I am 99.9 percent sure this is a ripoff/hoax - if it were legal, it wouldn't be under "Mike Mearls", that's about as dumb in counterfeiting as they come, it would be by WotC, and we'd see some kind of press on Wizards' site. Hopefully Lulu will have that down in short order.

Not only that if it were legit it wouldn't have the disclaimer.
"I have this available printed at cost and am making ZERO revenue off this to be absolutely clear. "

Mordiggian

Villager
Morrus tweeted this an hour ago. Is anyone talking about this here? I didn't see any discussion. Does anybody have info on whether this is legit or they just stole the PDF?

It is a discussion on D&D Next Google+. Just a fan putting it up for the convenience of others. I cant link because of my new account.

Assuming that it is a non-profit printing, isn’t it free to distribute as fans wish?

I mean, I know there are copyright laws but isn’t the idea to try and get the rules into as many hands as possible without cost implications?

dream66_

First Post
Assuming that it is a non-profit printing, isn’t it free to distribute as fans wish?

I mean, I know there are copyright laws but isn’t the idea to try and get the rules into as many hands as possible without cost implications?

The only page in the basic rules that has the text giving you permission to make copies is the character sheet, and only for personal use.

Iosue

Legend

Copyright doesn't prevent you from making money, it prevents you from making copies, i.e., distribution. That's why it's called copyright; it's the right to make copies. And if you don't have it, you can't do so.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
For those who don't know: Lulu is a print-on-demand service. What happened here is someone downloaded the file, and paid Lulu to print it for them. This link is so other people can do the same.

We asked for a POD option (and a "at least let us pay someone else to POD it" option); it should be no surprise that someone did it anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads