D&D 5E Basic rules paperback tweeted by Morrus

reiella

Explorer
The only page in the basic rules that has the text giving you permission to make copies is the character sheet, and only for personal use.

The oddity then presents itself as why they would then provide a printer friendly version.

[ edit ]
To be clear, in terms of limiting duplication/printing. Not really on the topic of distribution which is a very different beast.

the Jester

Legend
I see a lot of references to players spilling stuff at the game table. Has that really been an issue at most people's tables? I have never seen it happen myself.

Seriously? Wow, your groups must have high collective Dexterity scores, and/or not drink half as much beer as mine does.

fjw70

Adventurer
Seriously? Wow, your groups must have high collective Dexterity scores, and/or not drink half as much beer as mine does.

I have never been at a game table where people drink beer. I personally don't drink any alcohol and no one else has brought any. I do drink a significant amount of pop though.

The oddity then presents itself as why they would then provide a printer friendly version.

[ edit ]
To be clear, in terms of limiting duplication/printing. Not really on the topic of distribution which is a very different beast.

Exactly. There is a very confused message coming out of this at the moment and, while I am aware of the copyright laws, the basic conflict here is that the supposed purpose of the free rules is to actually get distributed into as wide a circulation as possible? Isn’t it?

Somebody posted an unofficial cover for the rules when they came out - is that copyright too?

Warunsun

First Post
You are totally allowed to print the Basic rules for yourself and your group. You can totally make your own cover for it too. What you aren't supposed to do it is to post it online or try to sell it. I am sure that Wizards would prefer you to link back to their official site: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules. When you print it for yourself it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as it is not done in a "public fashion" like the open Lulu link. Peace.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Exactly. There is a very confused message coming out of this at the moment and, while I am aware of the copyright laws, the basic conflict here is that the supposed purpose of the free rules is to actually get distributed into as wide a circulation as possible? Isn’t it?

Somebody posted an unofficial cover for the rules when they came out - is that copyright too?

It's not a confused message. It's a simple one: it's not legal to distribute someone else's stuff without permission.*

Your job isn't to second guess WotC's motives and decide for them what's in their interests. Whether they want it widely distributed or whether they want only people with green hair downloading, it's their decision to make and their permission up give. Absent that permission, you can't distribute their stuff, even if you think it's in their interests.

*OK, there are exceptions for reporting, reviews, parody, personal use, etc, but that's beyond the scope of this conversation.

Sunsword

Adventurer
It's not a confused message. It's a simple one: it's not legal to distribute someone else's stuff without permission.*

Your job isn't to second guess WotC's motives and decide for them what's in their interests. Whether they want it widely distributed or whether they want only people with green hair downloading, it's their decision to make and their permission up give. Absent that permission, you can't distribute their stuff, even if you think it's in their interests.

*OK, there are exceptions for reporting, reviews, parody, personal use, etc, but that's beyond the scope of this conversation.

Exactly, if WotC wants to give us a POD option they will put it on DNDClassics.com/RPGNow.com/DriveThruRPg.com.

I’m just asking questions. On the download site:

“We want to put D&D in as many hands as possible, and a free, digital file is the best way to do that”

…along with a printer friendly version, provided.

It’s not an issue of whether it’s my ‘job’ or not to decide what they want, it’s a question of understanding what permission are they actually granting?

Personally, I just want to print out my own copy - with a cover, incidentally - so I have a ‘complete’ game with the Starter set. But say I was to distribute other copies to my players so they can prep, would this be illegal then?

Last edited:

Remove ads