D&D Story in Entertainment Weekly

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Did anyone else see the story about D&D in last week's Entertainment Weekly magazine? I came across it today while waiting for my car to be repaired, and I think that WOTC missed the boat on this one.

The author, Joel Stein, apparently played back in the 1980's and with the popularity of LoR, decided to check the game out again. He convinced WOTC to send 3E author Jonathan Tweet out to DM a game with him and Elijah Wood and a few others.

What follows is an article that, while rather humorous, perpetuates many of the negative stereotypes about the game, including (1) that women don't play D&D (2) that guys who play D&D do not currently have or will never have either sex or a serious relationship (3) that the game is only for geeks. I know that there is an expression that any publicity is good publicity, but I don't see that article getting anyone not already playing the game to run out and buy WOTC's products.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Silver Moon said:
He convinced WOTC to send 3E author Jonathan Tweet out to DM a game with him and Elijah Wood and a few others.

yeah, but i'm sure elijah wood, being a major motion picture star and all, could get some action if he wanted to. ;)

robaustin

First Post
Which issue of EW is this? I have a subscription and can't for the life of me remember seeing this..... The last two issues are the one with Jack Nicholson on the cover, and the year end issue.....

--*Rob

robaustin

First Post
Ah ok. I used to love the back page - with its retro look back, now I hate that new column. Now I'll go back and read it!

--*Rob

Grim

First Post
umm... now i'm angry... but not really surprised... Down With EW... and especially that columnist, upholding all those negative stereotypes. He should be pummelled... repeatably.

Remove ads