Everything D&D Ever - Temple of the Frog

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=12183]sithramir[/MENTION] Re-reading my options, I'm thinking a Half-Elven Knowledge Priestess of St. Cuthbert is going to be exactly the ticket I want.

Tielfing works better for a Cha-based class, especially Warlock (which I was also considering), but this group needs healin'. :)

Plus I love me some Knowledge priests - if you've played 3.x, I always used the Cloistered Cleric variant from the Unearthed Arcana for my priests.

Now I just need to find me some art to inspire... :)

Brother Dave

First Post
Bran is up, but I'm having a few second thoughts. He'd be great for an urban adventure, but may be a bit too squishy for a dungeon crawl. I don't know. I'm thinking about saving him for another time and switching to my wood elf ranger. I'd be happy enough playing either one. What do y'all think?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@Brother Dave : based on your character's shtick, he might as well be a Bard... wanna go for three on the party? :D

I (mostly) keed, but if you want a slightly beefier Sorcerer, you could change your Wild magic to Dragon magic. They get some nice defense bonuses.

But Sorcerer's gonna Sorcerer no matter what. My girl is going to be slightly less bookish and slightly more militant than I originally envisioned, so I'm not going to be too shy about waltzing in and bashing things when _necessary_. In 5e, I've found that 1st-3rd level is about playing SMARTER rather than "bash2win". Given the module's age (where bash2win was the order of the day, but the players also had NPC hirelings to round their party to _nine_), it could be a slog, but I'm confident that our DM will be able to 5e it up quite well.

You have high Cha, so use it. :D

Brother Dave

First Post
@Brother Dave : based on your character's shtick, he might as well be a Bard... wanna go for three on the party? :D

I (mostly) keed, but if you want a slightly beefier Sorcerer, you could change your Wild magic to Dragon magic. They get some nice defense bonuses.

But Sorcerer's gonna Sorcerer no matter what. My girl is going to be slightly less bookish and slightly more militant than I originally envisioned, so I'm not going to be too shy about waltzing in and bashing things when _necessary_. In 5e, I've found that 1st-3rd level is about playing SMARTER rather than "bash2win". Given the module's age (where bash2win was the order of the day, but the players also had NPC hirelings to round their party to _nine_), it could be a slog, but I'm confident that our DM will be able to 5e it up quite well.

You have high Cha, so use it. :D

Hmmm...now that's a thought. I initially created this character to explore the Wild Magic thing, but then I found the Acting feat and he quickly became more about the disguises and acting, which led me to the espionage backstory and his mysterious origins... Wild magic surge is not really critical to his story - in fact, I was thinking of it as a bit of a hindrance - imagine using the disguise self spell and accidently turning blue, or setting off a fireball! A red or gold draconic bloodline would fit much better with his fire bolt cantrip...or I could give him a green dragon anscestry and change it to poison spray, which would be a more subtle attack and fit better with the espionage...or black dragon and acid splash... I'll have to modify the backstory somewhat...the scales could have manifested at an earlier age, forcing him to hone his disguise skills to hide them...the fire bolt or poison spray or whatever could have come in response to the thugs, scaring them off and allowing him to slip away...his parents' mysterious origins and loyalties...draconic heritage...yeah, I can work with that. Thanks!

I do have a half elven bard fleshed out as well with a somewhat similar story - he's a card sharp (charlatan) who uses disguise more casually to get away from irate marks - but I think I'd rather stick with Bran (with the draconic conversion).

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Regarding the age and nature of the module...

Temple of the Frog was written before "modules" were a thing so its more of a sandbox locale with no particular thought put to level of PCs - players have to figure out how to take it on and DMs need to figure out how to get them there.

So, it isn't a "standard" dungeon crawl, even in the old school sense...it predates old school. ;)

Brother Dave

First Post
@MasqueradingVampire: I know Draconic is off the table as a language - is a mysterious draconic bloodline okay? And if so, should I just leave off the "speak, read and write Draconic" or replace it with something else?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
In that particular case, it can be a sort of "tongues" - a language the character knows but doesn't know what it is or how they know it. (And might come in handy in this adventure).

fireinthedust

Explorer
I think I'm good to go. I was thinking at first that I'd like to be an immortal who takes on different forms each generation, but another thought: all my characters will share the same familiar. Maybe it's just the one that shows up for the spell, or there's some other link, but that seems like fun. That or a family or artifact connection.

Bard: what?! I love Bards! I won a T-shirt by popular acclaim when I played a bard at a convention. If you want to swap, my bard will rock your world, melt your heart, and thrill your soul...

Maybe we as a group could swap features, like if there's a legendary Red Violin that the bards all use, or a cursed tome of lore, or my familiar; then next generation someone else gets the tome, someone else uses the violin, someone else gets to be the scion of House Atredes, or the Hobbit who carries the One Ring, etc.? Or maybe that's best left for party treasure down the line, rather than personally-crafted stuff (like my familiar).

Are we all 1st level? If that's the case, it doesn't matter whether the fighter picks EK or BM, as we're not there yet, right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases