is it me? FFG Star Wars

WEG's SW game is awesome. It also has bad points as well as good.
FFG's SW game is awesome. It, too, has it's good and bad.
I've run both (less FFG than WEG), and I enjoy both - but they prompt slightly different kinds of SW games. Both lend themselves to fast, free-flowing, cinematic action that most SW games will thrive on but they take quite different approaches to how they get there. FFG's approach no doubt seems a radical and nigh incomprehensible departure from a more traditional RPG, but it's ultimately not all that... alien to the kind of game that results from WEG's.

I prefer FFG over WEG only because it has fewer problems with force/jedi characters.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Seems much too...I don't know...random, I guess. Too gimmicky.

Like the poster before, I like interpreting dice rolls. I don't like being forced to interpret EVERY dice roll.

The D6 system is one of the best systems ever designed, imo. It can be gritty. It can be swashbuckling. It's fun and fits Star Wars like a glove.

It also seems like it might lead to un-necessary arguments with some groups: "Hey, you rolled a dispair. You dropped the kid."

"I dropped the kid? No way I did that. I nearly fell on the tight rope, caught myself, and my blaster pistol jiggled out of my holster and fell to the depths. I don't have a weapon any more. But, I'm still gripping the kid."

"Nope. That's not how I interpret the dice. You dropped the kid."

"When Jimmy rolled that despair about an hour ago, you weren't this hard on him!"

"Sure I was--and he wasn't holding a kid while trying to cross a tight rope! You dropped the kid!"

"Man, this game sucks. Let's go back to D6."

As a player, the DM determines the outcome of your despair, just like the players could determine how despair affects hostile NPCs, tho GM has final call. Sure, you could have dropped your pistol from the despair, in fact, I ask my players what they think would be good for the outcome, and if I like it, it sticks, if they can't come up with something, I get carte blanche. Sometime's I'll even pocket that Despair for later. The players will know something bad will have come from it, and it will be tied to what happened, but i'll spring it later.

Ex:
GM:You cross, barely, and the kid is safe, but you have a bad feeling about this...
20 minutes later during escape in speeder...

GM:As you fly around in your airspeeder, remember that tightrope you crossed earlier?
PC: Yeah...
GM: Actually, no, you don't, that despair is now coming to bite you. You slam into the cable, rips free, and gets sucked into your intake.
You need a piloting check to keep control, followed by mechanics or something else creative to prevent engine damage...
PC: NOOOOoooooooo
GM: Quoting the prequels just gave you an additional setback die ;)

cmad1977

Hero
As a player, the DM determines the outcome of your despair, just like the players could determine how despair affects hostile NPCs, tho GM has final call. Sure, you could have dropped your pistol from the despair, in fact, I ask my players what they think would be good for the outcome, and if I like it, it sticks, if they can't come up with something, I get carte blanche. Sometime's I'll even pocket that Despair for later. The players will know something bad will have come from it, and it will be tied to what happened, but i'll spring it later.

Ex:
GM:You cross, barely, and the kid is safe, but you have a bad feeling about this...
20 minutes later during escape in speeder...

GM:As you fly around in your airspeeder, remember that tightrope you crossed earlier?
PC: Yeah...
GM: Actually, no, you don't, that despair is now coming to bite you. You slam into the cable, rips free, and gets sucked into your intake.
You need a piloting check to keep control, followed by mechanics or something else creative to prevent engine damage...
PC: NOOOOoooooooo
GM: Quoting the prequels just gave you an additional setback die ;)

The fact that you give setbacks for quoting the nonexistent prequel films shows you're a GM who knows what they're doing.

Despite my occasional 'discomfort' with the dice mechanics(I'm olde) the game often feels like a Star Wars film.

Our party could totally have starred in Rogue1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Bob

Adventurer
Sometime's I'll even pocket that Despair for later. The players will know something bad will have come from it, and it will be tied to what happened, but i'll spring it later.)

That just seems horrible to me. It's one step removed from just making up something bad to happen to the players "just because". I know my players sure wouldn't go for it--holding something like that for later, when the Ref gets around to implementing it. I say that, and I believe in a strong game master, too. It's his world to say what happens when. But, what you describes goes against my grain. It seems unfair to me and bad game design.

What I don't like about this is that it's an obstacle for the players tied to a game mechanic--a meta-game influence on the game. Obstacles should be, in my book, tied to logic and story driven. Here, you've given an example driven by the fact that the players had a point of Despair that need to be paid. It wasn't that the player drove the air speeder into an area in the game where the obstacle was already placed. The obstacle wasn't there whether or not the players flew that way. It's an obstacle applied to the players simply because they owed "something bad" happing to them.

(shakes shoulders)

Yeah, that game design just creeps me out. Not for me at all.

Different strokes, I guess.

Last edited:

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
That just seems horrible to me. It's one step removed from just making up something bad to happen to the players "just because". I know my players sure wouldn't go for it--holding something like that for later, when the Ref gets around to implementing it. I say that, and I believe in a strong game master, too. It's his world to say what happens when. But, what you describes goes against my grain. It seems unfair to me and bad game design.

What I don't like about this is that it's an obstacle for the players tied to a game mechanic--a meta-game influence on the game. Obstacles should be, in my book, tied to logic and story driven. Here, you've given an example driven by the fact that the players had a point of Despair that need to be paid. It wasn't that the player drove the air speeder into an area in the game where the obstacle was already placed. The obstacle wasn't there whether or not the players flew that way. It's an obstacle applied to the players simply because they owed "something bad" happing to them.

(shakes shoulders)

Yeah, that game design just creeps me out. Not for me at all.

Different strokes, I guess.

So no dropped children into the clouded skylanes of coruscant or cables sucked into the air intakes, just a dropped weapon. Where is the fun, danger, and excitement in that? ;)

Ah well, have fun with your pip fiddling and broken Jedi, i'll have my gripping action movie :D

Water Bob

Adventurer
Ah well, have fun with your pip fiddling and broken Jedi, i'll have my gripping action movie :D

I prefer 1st Ed. D6 Star Wars, but all editions are great. The games I've had are quite fun and Star Wars-sy. I don't refer to as the best set of game mechanics ever designed to fit a particular gaming world ever created for nothing.

And, the Jedi are quite good, for the era the game was designed.

Remove ads