D&D 5E terms for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
By the time I post this you'll have 20 other responses, but hey, mo' better:

Metagamer - a player who uses knowledge they possess as a player to the advantage of their character, who does not possess that knowledge.

Min/maxing - a school of character creation that focuses on the minimization of weaknesses and the maximization of advantage, the implication being that this is done without respect for the character's history or personality.

Splatbook - a game supplement. "Splat" is a derogatory term for additional rules, the implication being that they are unnecessary or poorly designed and produced only to have something to sell, rather than to improve the game.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Metagamer - someone who uses player knowledge to solve a game situation, such as running an adventure a second time and steering straight toward the next section of the quest when the player's character would not know where to go.

Min/Max - Drastically minimizing one or more ability scores to have the highest possible ability scores in another area, creating a lopsided character. This is the fighter who is dumb as a brick or the wizard who can't lift their own spellbook.

Splatbooks - The add on books that are outside the core rules. They might have additional feats, classes, powers, spells, etc. They have gotten a bad reputation in some cases because of overpowered abilities compared to the core rule books.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
hey, what does metagamer, Min/Max, and splatbook mean?

Metagamer: Player who uses knowledge his character couldn't possibly have to make decisions for his character.
Example: Joe Bob read the adventure before playing in it, so when the ambush happened his character was in perfect position, which makes him a metagamer.

Min/Max: Player who tries to build his characters so that he minimizes his weaknesses while maximizing his gains.
Example: Making a barbarian with an 6 charisma, when one has no intention of ever winning a Chr check, and using those points to get a 20 strength, which is his most important stat. People will argue about whether a thing is, in fact, min/maxing, and some people see min/maxers as the opposite of roleplayers. Min/maxers tend to disagree.

Splatbook: Someone else can give you the whole etymology. Basically, "splat" is how people in certain industries pronounce the character "*", which is used as a wildcard. A splatbook is one of a series of books that cover the same/similar topics. The term has really become RPG internet slang for "book with additional character rules".
Example: Complete Warrior, Complete Fighter, Complete Mage, and Complete Arcana are examples of splatbooks (or Complete* books).

Thaumaturge.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
what the heck does kjtw mean? Is there some kind of cheat sheet somewhere with all these terms and acronyms?

Give our recent conversation where you informed me you were deliberately here to troll the members of this forum, and my response that you were therefore no longer welcome here, I am closing this thread. The only reason I didn't ban you immediately was because I was on my phone. I'll rectify that as soon as I reach a PC (unless another mod sees this first), but please stop posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads