D&D General How long should an after work online gaming session be ideally?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I hosted for coworkers a one hour weekly session for nearly a year. It's fast pace, but easier to tag onto the end of the work day

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That's a pretty interesting idea.

I previously worked at a place where coworkers in another department had a regular lunch hour D&D session in a conference room.
We tried it but was too difficult to do over lunch. Folks had to travel between buildings to and from. We moved to 4-6pm after the work day. During covid we moved to zoom, but then folks left he company and it ended. We did manage to get a 5E campaign up to 20 though.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Usually three hours for me.

I played quite a few regular OSE and OD&D sessions during the pandemic over Discord or Zoom for video/audio with strangers which were formally organized as three hours with usually a 5 minute bio-break roughly on the hour each hour. The OSE games also used Roll20 or Foundry, one of the OD&D games used Shmeppy for maps. The other was pure TotM and I'd hold my maps up to the camera occasionally for the DM to verify I had something right or just to show to the other players (sometimes a second player was also mapping) so folks could visualize better.

Right now I'm in a Wednesday night 5E game with some old friends and we start at 6:30 Eastern (one player is in TX, the rest of us are in MA or NH), with the initial half hour as designated social time, then play 7-10 EST. I think more than three hours on a weeknight is tough to do unless it's Friday. When I was still running my 5TD game on Friday nights we'd sometimes run for four or five hours.

grimmgoose

Explorer
I have two in-person groups; one meets on Mondays, the other on Fridays.

The group on Monday officially starts at 6:30, but we realistically don't start playing until around 7:15. We usually end around 9:45, or 10:00 at the latest. So all told, about 2.5 hours.

The group on Friday officially starts at 6:30, but it can be anywhere from 7:30 to 8:00 before we officially kick off. We end around 11:30, typically, so about 4 hours.

Both groups are wildly different (from systems to playstyles), and I think they would not enjoy it if the timescales were flipped. (Monday group is more casual; Friday group is more "hardcore").

Irlo

Hero
2.5 hours
15 minutes for set up, chatter, recap
2 hours solid playtime
15 minute margin of error to come to a reasonable stopping point.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We usually play 7pm to 11pm online, so 4 hours. Call it 3:45 with some socialization.

Well, one game has a teacher who gets up at 5:30am, so during the school year it was gather at 6:30pm, hard start at 7pm, go to 10pm. And right now we have a pregnancy so it's 7 to 9.

Remove ads