Doctor Who s8e7 - Mummy on the Orient Express

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Loved this one, with a couple of caveats.

Good: Good writing, cool monster, Frank Skinner enjoying his guest role. Pragmatic morals again a theme. Loved all the period detail. Amusing rendition of a Queen song at the beginning.

Bad: The train CGI from the outside looked pretty rubbish. And that whole new Clara dynamic has been just dumped already? That was getting interesting.

Gus (was that John Sessions' voice?) is a new bad guy. That bit I didn't quite understand. So he faked the train (it was a lab disguised with holograms) to lure scientists to study the mummy, and had been trying to lure the Doctor there for ages? We don't meet him or get a resolution with him, so I guess he's going to appear again.

delericho

Legend
I really enjoyed this one - probably my favourite episode of the season to date. I also liked the tie-ins to the distress call from the Matt Smith era (and I half-remember earlier references to getting tickets, but that could just be an after-the-fact thing). Plus, I enjoyed the jelly babies.

MarkB

Legend
It was an enjoyable episode, with the tone turning out to be rather different than expected - a race-against-time scientific puzzle rather than the horror-movie vibe of the trailers.

Capaldi seemed to be channelling the Fourth Doctor a lot in this one, literally so at one point in a spookily-accurate rendition.

And that whole new Clara dynamic has been just dumped already? That was getting interesting.

I felt the same way. It was a little jarring at the start seeing Clara back with the Doctor, and I'd have liked to see how that happened - did he ask her, or did she ask him?

Still, I think they're still taking it somewhere, and it seems like Clara is pretty much just fooling herself that things are back to normal between her and the Doctor.

Small note on the thread title: I believe this is episode 8.

biotech66

Explorer
Regarding Clara's future
Well Clara's on her way out anyway. We know she's gone by Christmas. I think the steps to seeing her go are getting interesting. We'll see if it keeps being great TV. I've loved it so far!

Now it just comes down to who the next companion is. I'm voting for the school girl from last episode. That would be a fun one!

Last edited:

We do? If that's a spoiler, rather than speculation, it's best to put it in spoiler tags. I didn't want to know that.

it's been all over the place since it was announced before the start of the season, however it qualifies as both spoiler and speculation because we know she's been in talks and they have been working on her exit. So the only speculation comes from what makes her leave

Favorite part for me from the episode has to be " Are you my mummy?" and was it just me or did Gus sound a bit like Max Capricorn's computer voice from the starship titanic episode?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
it's been all over the place since it was announced before the start of the season, however it qualifies as both spoiler and speculation because we know she's been in talks and they have been working on her exit. So the only speculation comes from what makes her leave

Who's "we"? I repeat, I did not know that, and did not want to. I am not aware of any such announcement. Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags. I have been very deliberately and carefully avoiding them this year, and had done so successfully until this thread.

Favorite part for me from the episode has to be " Are you my mummy?" and was it just me or did Gus sound a bit like Max Capricorn's computer voice from the starship titanic episode?

Gus just sounded like John Sessions.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Who's "we"? I repeat, I did not know that, and did not want to. I am not aware of any such announcement. Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags. I have been very deliberately and carefully avoiding them this year, and had done so successfully until this thread.

Certainly a rather unfortunate way to learn about it. In my case it was as a throw-away comment someone mode in a Youtube video.

Mallus

Legend
Loved this one, with a couple of caveats.
Loved it, too, and agree with the caveats, except maybe the Clara part.

At the end of Orient Express Clara's back with the Doctor but... a) she outright lies about Danny and b) accepts "addiction" as the governing metaphor for her relationship with the Doctor. I'm sensing this won't end well. Or at the very least we're not done with the drama...

I've got really mixed feelings about this. Now that Clara's a real character --and Jenna Louise Coleman is nailing the performance-- I don't want to see her go. But I loved her fight with the Doctor, and all the underlying reasons for it, and the fresh characterization of them both. It all seems to be going somewhere. But if that "somewhere" turns out to be some old happy status quo, it will suck.

Clara's got to go, doesn't she?

edit: maybe she & Danny Pink get a sequel series to replace The Sarah Jane Adventures? Could the BBC keep that quiet if it's in the works??

Remove ads