• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who s8e7 - Mummy on the Orient Express

Janx

Hero
right now, the Doctor is the kid with all the cool toys. He's a dick.

But he's got all the cool toys. So if you want free ice cream and playtime with cool toys, you're stuck with putting up with him.

Based on all the references to older doctors, I suspect that Capaldi's doctor really is some kind of cranky amalgram of all the prior doctors. Probably a side-effect of getting the funky booster regen. I'd guess this is a part of why he's sort of disfunctional with people now.

He came back Wrong.

biotech66

Explorer
I don't see the Doctor as a dick this season. I see him more as an adult/parent dealing with children who are growing up. He's leaving more decisions up to the humans like in "Destroy the Moon", he takes risks for us "Orient Express", and he letting the humans act hopefully having learned to trust him as in the first episode. I like this one. He knows he can't save everyone, but he's still trying to save as many as he can. He just doesn't sugar coat it anymore.

Nellisir

Hero
Probably my favorite episode so far, although I've got to be honest - I was too busy watching Jenna Coleman rock that dress to actually pay attention to anything.
I really like Capaldi's doctor. He's got a desperate dependence on Clara that he can't/won't admit to.

The ending with Clara came somewhat out of nowhere, but I don't think it "reverts" anything. She's
outright lying to DW and Pink now.

Edit: No criticism here!

Last edited:

Probably my favorite episode so far, although I've got to be honest - I was too busy watching Jenna Coleman rock that dress to actually pay attention to anything.
I really like Capaldi's doctor. He's got a desperate dependence on Clara that he can't/won't admit to.

The ending with Clara came somewhat out of nowhere, but I don't think it "reverts" anything. She's
outright lying to DW and Pink now.

The CGI of the outside of the train was crap. Looked like someone playing crack the whip. It's not how a train moves and it wasn't necessary.

how does a train in space move?

Well it is in space and it is the future..so i just figure the train can move however it pleases personally but yeah over all the CGI could have been a bit better

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You know, I actually addressed this in my initial post, but edited it out before I posted.

In the CGI, the train actually slides and snaps around, like a whip or a snake on ice. Obviously that's not how a train moves on Earth, but the real problem is that there's no reason for it to seem to move like that in space. It was distracting and pointless. It contributed nothing.

It was on "hyperspace ribbons", whatever they are. I guess that's what hyperspace ribbons make space trains do.

Remove ads