• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who s8e7 - Mummy on the Orient Express

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Doesn't change my point. We expect trains to move a certain way. If you're going to change it, do so for a reason, not just to excuse lazy CGI.

I agree the CGI was rubbish. But not because of the movement; it was just poorly rendered. You might expect futuristic space trains moving faster than light speed on hyperspace ribbons to move in a certain way, but I'm afraid I'm not included in that "we" you mention. Futuristic space trains moving faster than light speed on hyperspace ribbons can move any darn way they please, as far as I'm concerned! :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It wasn't poorly rendered at all; hyperspace ribbons distort visual perceptions. Obviously.

Do your hyperspace ribbon trains in England not run on tracks anymore? They did when I was there, but that was 21 years ago. :/ Maybe things have changed.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you are - please don't. Sometimes folks don't agree with you, especially in matters of preference.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I loved the nods back to the past, as people have mentioned - the jelly babies, the 'are you my mummy'.

Capaldi has quickly cemented his place as my favourite doctor ever; nobody has done it that fast in the past. I don't see him being a dick at all, although I see him being frustrated that nobody else is really keeping up with him, and being economical with the truth upon occasion. He would have been a fantastic war doctor if he had needed to be.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Was anyone reminded of Curse of the Black Spot? The Foretolds modus operandi seemed to be almost exactly the same as the Sirens. I was even thinking that they were going to have the same reveal, instead of opting for the malfunctioning soldier option (as per Empty Child "Are you my mummy" indeed!).

And as the Foretold was essentially a robot I would have liked to have Missy appear again.

and Who is the Engineer?

MarkB

Legend
I loved the nods back to the past, as people have mentioned - the jelly babies, the 'are you my mummy'.

Capaldi has quickly cemented his place as my favourite doctor ever; nobody has done it that fast in the past. I don't see him being a dick at all, although I see him being frustrated that nobody else is really keeping up with him, and being economical with the truth upon occasion. He would have been a fantastic war doctor if he had needed to be.

Maybe too good (or too effective - as the Doctor says, "goodness has nothing to do with it"). Part of what makes the Doctor who he is, is that he doesn't just pragmatically accept the universe as it is, and act accordingly - he goes out of his way to change it.

When I think back to the scene in "Time of the Doctor" when John Hurt's Doctor is confronting the big red genocide button and hesitating over whether to press it until his future incarnations arrive to help him through it, and Clara inspires them to find another option, I can't help feeling that, if it had been Capaldi's Doctor in that situation, he wouldn't even have hesitated a second before pushing the button.

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe too good (or too effective - as the Doctor says, "goodness has nothing to do with it"). Part of what makes the Doctor who he is, is that he doesn't just pragmatically accept the universe as it is, and act accordingly - he goes out of his way to change it.

When I think back to the scene in "Time of the Doctor" when John Hurt's Doctor is confronting the big red genocide button and hesitating over whether to press it until his future incarnations arrive to help him through it, and Clara inspires them to find another option, I can't help feeling that, if it had been Capaldi's Doctor in that situation, he wouldn't even have hesitated a second before pushing the button.

It seems like the Capaldi Doctor is going to great pains to be understood, rather than just looked up to, perhaps while he's also trying to understand himself.

Nellisir

Hero

Interestingly, I get the opposite impression.

Remove ads