Mat Smith's Writing is Unpleasant [RANT]

TrizzlWizzl

First Post
I realize I might be overly critical or just plain wrong, but I have to say I find Mat Smith's writing to be some of the most putrid and condescending tripe I have ever laid eyes to. His "In the Works" updates on the WotC webite are just plain unreadable, lacking both an understanding of his audience and any hint of talent in the realm of expository composition. I really need to know if I'm the only one bothered by this man's intentionally juvenile style ("youthful" is how he might put it), because I find it odd that despite massive layoffs at WotC this guy has managed to hang on to a job.

He writes as though he's trying to talk an eight year old into eating his brussel sprouts, using astoundingly insipid metaphors in a purile attempt to excite his audience. In the (unfortunately not) last "update", he draws parallels between roller coaster rides and WotC's 1st quarter release schedule. Yes. He is working at WotC as a copy writer and you're not.

Almost every D&D player I have ever met has had one thing in common: the language of the game, which is completely unafraid of using arcane nomenclature to describe the fantastic elements inherent in magic and dragons. While Mr. Smith has no problem using "big words" he almost never seems to use them to explain or clarify anything, utilizing them instead to describe the things he's talking about as "unfathomabley awesome!" or some derivitive thereof. He seems to want to be my best buddy or something, using words like "gonna" and "really" more often than I do in my day to day speech pattern. He throws periods into the middle of sentences in a vain attempt to appear breezy and conversational but all he does is wind up starting every other line with "and" or "but" or "which". Used every now and then there might be some impact, some feeling... but Mat over does it.

His audience is what... about 30 years old on the average? Using phrases like "Hook me up for some of that" hardly seems like the right way to appeal to anybody. Never mind the fact that he misused the idiom ("with some of that" would be the method heard most), the problem is that what relevant or interesting information is there has been plastered over with Mat Smith's irritating and pandering prose. I'd really like to read about the upcoming books... I'd like to find out what they're all about, what I might find in them, why they might be cool. Smith's attempt to appeal to my geek out reflex makes it almost impossible for me to actually read what the man wrote. I don't need to know if the book is worthwhile, I need to know why.

His ad copy sucks too. Point is: how is this guy still employed? Does his style work on you? Do you find it affable and appealing? Personally I hate it and I can't understand how they could let go of so many talented writers yet hang on to this untalented one. Am I alone here? Do I just need to read his crappy updates and get over it or is there a group of people out there that feels the same way I do?

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
i pretty much agree, but i have a sneaking suspicion that he's been told to make it 'for the kids' when he's writing it...

so i don't blame him, i blame the web content stategic plan.

TrizzlWizzl

First Post
It's bad form to offer criticisims via a message board? Says who? What are the boards for then? I thought they were for disscussion and debate of issues within the d20 community. As an artist I don't expect people to remain silent if my work is worthy of criticism. Is the purpose of this forum solely to discuss the methods by which we organize our bookshelves? Notice I never said anything about Mat Smith personally... the only issue I have is with his work. Did you notice the "[rant]" disclosure in the title?

As far as being a "big poopshoot", I really don't think personal attacks are warranted here Kamikaze Midget. I'm not being an :):):):):):):), just a dissatisfied customer and I want to find out if I'm alone in my bafflement. I guess I am.

As far as being told to write for a younger demographic, that might be true. Despite all the market research his editors doubtlessly have at their disposal, Mr. Smith's bosses might be under the mistaken impression that the way to appeal to a 30 year old audience is to treat them like twelve year olds. I still think they could find someone willing to write ads that don't condescend to us. The web content plan doesn't explain why every ad with his fingerprints on it make me ashamed to be a gamer (when my friends come over they sometimes pick up a Dragon mag I might have laying around and are intrigued... until they get to a WotC ad, shake their head after reading it and say "I can't believe you play this game")

Okay, so far in answer to my question I'm basicly being told to get over it. Is that pretty much it? Mat Smith is all I should expect or demand as a consumer? Folks really don't mind eh? I'm a little surprised, I really am (not only that people don't mind but that I was called a "poopshoot" for expressing my views).

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
While it is certainly valid to discuss such criticisms on message boards, the language one uses can make more of a point than what is being discussed. With all due respect, "Mat Smith makes me want to barf" comes off as juvenile as what is being criticized. I'm not flaming, I'm just saying that when I see a thread subject line like that, it really looks like someone is just going to get out the flamethrower. It's easier to take seriously and discuss rationally if the thread doesn't look like it's just going to be a flamefest from the start.

TrizzlWizzl

First Post
alsih2o said:
"mat smith makes me want to barf" is not criticism. it is childish.

It's a title. Childish? Maybe. Obviously, as the Colonel stated, it seemed like I was just out to be a flamethrower... but notice how I started the whole thing with "Maybe I'm just overly critical"? Point taken though. I've since changed the title to (hopefully) encourage readers to approach the Vile Content with more intellectual honesty.

I wasn't aware that posting a rant would illicit such venom towards me personally. I for one meant no personal disrespect to Mat Smith as a human being, I meant only to discuss his work. Pardon me, but I'm of the opinion that if you do something professionally you open yourself to criticism of your perfomance. Are art critics and sportswriters "poopshoots"?

Thank you to everyone who replied, I now have my answer. I don't disagree that the title of the rant was childish... it was meant to be. I hardly think it's appropriate to begin a flaming me, as I'm not making personal attacks or unduly commenting on someone's post. I'm talking about a paid professional artist and I don't think calling for a discussion about that artist's work is at all childish or in bad form.

EDIT: to reflect the changed title

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases